Solo on NCL Escape - studio or balcony?

rootswings

When selecting a cabin category it always helps me to break it down to a cost per day basis. Example, on breakaway it was worth $20 pp a day for us to upgrade to a b6 with a lounger on the balcony because that's importAnt to me. On getaway the daily breakdown was too high of a cost for me to justify not taking a guarantee and rolling the dice. Pricing is always so variable it's hard to give a specific recommendation. What is the exact cost difference on your sailing? If you break that cost down to daily charge that may help you decide. Everyone has personal considerations. What is important to me might not be important to someone else. Some might prefer to spend their budget on experiences, others on accommodations. Good luck, let us know :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BermudaBound2014, thanks for your advice. The cost difference between the balcony and inside cabins is about $28 / day (about $200 for the 7 day cruise) -- but these are guaranteed rates, so no additional perks.

So it's coming down to thoughts like would that $28 / day be better spent on expenses that aren't otherwise covered (like drinks, because no UBP, or excursions). Also, I'm rather new to cruising. My first cruise included a balcony, but at the time, I knew I needed some peace and quiet, and was not traveling solo, so the space was good. This will be my second cruise, and I'm balancing trying new things, costs and experiences of solo travel.

Thanks all for your input. I'll update with decisions / outcomes, etc. :)

Save

I haven't sailed in a studio cabin yet but I have one booked on Epic in 2 weeks. I sailed in a balcony before and loved it and really wanted one this time. The balcony would have cost me $800 more so I booked the studio. Next year I'm booked on a Getaway TA and I'm splurging for a balcony or possibly higher if the price is right.

If I would have worked more this year I would have definitely booked a balcony cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking of booking a cruise on the Escape. I'd be traveling solo. This will be my 2d cruise. For my first cruise, I had a balcony cabin (Celebrity, aft); I really enjoyed having a balcony.

Since I'll be traveling solo (and am single), I thought I might check out a studio room, mostly for the benefit of mingling with other solo travelers, but I'm undecided because I think I might prefer a balcony room. (The rates I'm seeing have the studio and balcony rooms similarly priced).

So - for a single, solo traveler, who likes a balcony - which would be the better option for a 7 day cruise - studio or balcony? I would like to hear from anyone, and particularly those who have stayed in a studio room.

A balcony for sure.

That's one benefit. I find they're quieter than other areas of the ship and the biggest benefit is price (though that's not a given--like in your situation where they're so close in price to a balcony. When I sailed on the Epic, it would have cost more than $1,000 more to sail in a balcony than a studio).

They don't always do this. I've read a few reports of people being able to get this done, but more reports that they weren't able to.

I know when I travelled on the Epic as a solo traveler and according to guest services the solo gatherings were when I traveled ( Sept 2014) were only open to solo travellers staying in the studio cabins. I had a balcony cabin and loved it, especially in the morning coming into port.

Edited by jmknze

I know when I travelled on the Epic as a solo traveler and according to guest services the solo gatherings were when I traveled ( Sept 2014) were only open to solo travellers staying in the studio cabins. I had a balcony cabin and loved it, especially in the morning coming into port.

I wasn't aware that had been the case. I sailed on the Epic in March and anyone traveling solo could attend. I think it's been that way for quite some time. It's nice for those who want to join in on the organized activities. I attended only the first evening.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise on the Escape. I'd be traveling solo. This will be my 2d cruise. For my first cruise, I had a balcony cabin (Celebrity, aft); I really enjoyed having a balcony.

Since I'll be traveling solo (and am single), I thought I might check out a studio room, mostly for the benefit of mingling with other solo travelers, but I'm undecided because I think I might prefer a balcony room. (The rates I'm seeing have the studio and balcony rooms similarly priced).

So - for a single, solo traveler, who likes a balcony - which would be the better option for a 7 day cruise - studio or balcony? I would like to hear from anyone, and particularly those who have stayed in a studio room.

When I booked the Escape, I booked the Studio. Closer to the cruise, there was a price drop which allowed me to upgrade to a balcony for a minimal amount. I was still able to meet other solo passengers and meet in the Studio lounge. Aldean, the solo coordinator, set up reservations for different restaurants and shows. I was also set up reservations with other solo cruisers to have dinner at the speciality restaurants. I got to see a studio cabin and it looked great. I had a balcony only because of the price. I think you would be happy with either cabin.

I think I was lucky. Last October, in the Escape, I got a Guarantee balcony for $599 and I was sailing alone. No "Solo supplement " in that trip. The studio was near $899. So it was a no brainer for me, I chose the balcony! They assigned me a Large FWD balcony in deck 9. It was perfect! Aldean was great. We met at the Studio lounge every day near 6 pm. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy your trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My thoughts....

This is a Studio room where you get to pick your room and get a single perk, or a guarantee balcony with no perks that costs 200$ more on the same cruise.

What perk would you pick, if you get the Studio? If it is the UBP that you would well use to have a great cruise and not have to worry about signing or budgeting your drinks then I think you have an answer(it is why I picked a studio on my upcoming Epic cruise). Or the DP where you get 3 free upgraded dinners if in fact you are a foody and this is important to you? Or perhaps you are always plugged in, you have to have your internet no matter what be it fr work or updates or to let your family know you are ok? Or maybe you detest paying service charges, hate hate hate it on cruise? Well, if any of those is the most important thing that is going to cost you at least a 100 or more $.

Or

Are you a more quiet person who just enjoys their alone time and ability to sit out on their own private deck. Not really a drinker so the drink package would not have had value for you, not a foodie and not really wanting to use the phone at all on the trip. Just a chance to relax...

Since at the very least you are missing out on the service charges with the balcony you aren't paying 200 more, you are paying at LEAST 300 more for the balcony over Studio. And then if you drink, well I usually spend at least 200 a cruise on drinks and am not even a heavy drinker(that is just 1-4 per day on a 7 day). that makes your 200 more more like 400-500 more with drinks. For me the dining and net dont have as great a value but if the is your thing, it could be of value to you.

So yeah, you should honestly go with whatever is the best fit for you. If I had it to do all over again I would still book my studio and get the drink package over a balcony, saves me alot more money and alot of hassles with the drink charges. I also then might branch out and try more drinks and not feel like I HAVE to drink them if I hate them(I have chugged down more nasty drinks then I can say because I just paid 10$ for it)...

So there you go, someone from the other side.

And yes I have been in balconies and suites, for me a balcony adds very little unless in Alaska where it certainly is a must have item. Otherwise to me the chairs are always salty and sticky and not something I want to put my clean clothed body on. To each their own

GL and I hope you make the right choice for you

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice. After more deliberating, and in consideration other circumstances, I've ended up on another ship with a different cruise line (with a balcony).

I appreciate everyone's input. Your suggestions helped me make the decision to cruise as a solo -- I'm a little nervous about it, but looking forward to the travel.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice. After more deliberating, and in consideration other circumstances, I've ended up on another ship with a different cruise line (with a balcony).

I appreciate everyone's input. Your suggestions helped me make the decision to cruise as a solo -- I'm a little nervous about it, but looking forward to the travel.

Good for you for taking the leap! Be sure to check out the solo cruisers' forum here on CC. Lots of advice there from many experienced solo cruisers. Cruising is a great way to vacation solo!

I have just come back to the UK after a week on the Escape in a Studio room.

The rooms I found comfortable and perfect for singles.

The Studio Lounge is another story. I was looking forward to a quiet lounge,especially as it was Thanksgiving and a third of the ship was teenagers and very young children.

As much as I like children , the Studio lounge was open house not only to a bunch of rude, badly behaved children under twelve years of age but the mess they made was unbelievable.It got to the stage we had to call security.

They still managed to gain entrance every day,leaving the place in the mess.Cake all over the walls, and hot chocolate in wine glasses,standing on the chairs and talking back to us when we challenged them.

Not only children, but adults seemed to come in for their morning coffee and pastry even although they were not in studio rooms.

It got to the stage some of the older women did no even come back to the Studio Lounge.

Somehow others seem to gain entrance to the lounge and it takes away the privacy of the lounge.

I have written to NCL today asking what their policy is regarding who gains entrance to the Studio lounge.

I stayed on a Studio on the Epic and loved it- I liked the trip especially since I am from NJ and I felt a greater sense of being away going from miami vs. NYC.

I booked studios on the Breakaway twice, but upgraded for either $100 or $250 (and on the latter my studio had been $545 so the Balcony was still $800).

If you are not planning on spending any significant time in the room, the studio is fine in my opinion( and this is just me), but however the Balcony enabled greater room to spread out and a sofa and more space to unpack

When I took all of these trips it was before the promos that no occur.

I have just come back to the UK after a week on the Escape in a Studio room.

The rooms I found comfortable and perfect for singles.

The Studio Lounge is another story. I was looking forward to a quiet lounge,especially as it was Thanksgiving and a third of the ship was teenagers and very young children.

As much as I like children , the Studio lounge was open house not only to a bunch of rude, badly behaved children under twelve years of age but the mess they made was unbelievable.It got to the stage we had to call security.

They still managed to gain entrance every day,leaving the place in the mess.Cake all over the walls, and hot chocolate in wine glasses,standing on the chairs and talking back to us when we challenged them.

Not only children, but adults seemed to come in for their morning coffee and pastry even although they were not in studio rooms.

It got to the stage some of the older women did no even come back to the Studio Lounge.

Somehow others seem to gain entrance to the lounge and it takes away the privacy of the lounge.

I have written to NCL today asking what their policy is regarding who gains entrance to the Studio lounge.

I'm so sorry you experienced this. That would have definitely been annoying for me, as well. I enjoyed visiting the studio lounge each morning for cappuccino and some quiet time before starting my day. I noticed on the Epic that the doors leading directly into to the lounge were locked, but on the second floor the doors leading to the stairs down into the lounge did not close properly so anyone could have come into the lounge. Fortunately, it didn't become an issue. I hope your next studio experience is much, much better!