Ugly Christmas Sweater?

luvtovaca

We are cruising over Christmas and I understand they will be having an ugly sweater night or contest or whatnot. We are planning on making our own (yes, torturing my kids through a "fun" family night of shirt decorating!). Being a Caribbean cruise, I am wondering if t-shirts will suffice instead of sweatshirts or sweaters? I know, it is a cruise and all in good fun, so I am sure anything goes, but curious if anyone has seen or participated and may have input. TIA!

We are cruising over Christmas and I understand they will be having an ugly sweater night or contest or whatnot. We are planning on making our own (yes, torturing my kids through a "fun" family night of shirt decorating!). Being a Caribbean cruise, I am wondering if t-shirts will suffice instead of sweatshirts or sweaters? I know, it is a cruise and all in good fun, so I am sure anything goes, but curious if anyone has seen or participated and may have input. TIA!

Since you're making your own, would they be something you'd only wear one time on the cruise for the contest, or would you wear them during the holidays when you're not on a cruise? What would you get the most use (and fun) from? T-shirt, sweatshirt or sweater? Granted, it would be too warm to wear a sweater or sweatshirt for any length of time on a Caribbean cruise, but what about when you're back at home?

How did you learn they were having this contest? Is this a tradition on certain cruises around Christmas or on Christmas day? What cruise line and date?

Thanks for any details.

How did you learn they were having this contest? Is this a tradition on certain cruises around Christmas or on Christmas day? What cruise line and date?

Thanks for any details.

We are cruising Carnival which is why I posted this on the Carnival board. Their website has a list of the holiday themed plans for each ship and the sail dates. Most of their cruises the month of December have festive activities planned.

Make sweaters. It does cool down in the Caribbean at night. Usually in the low 70's at night and it's very breezy on the deck, so nobody should overheat.

Last time I was on a ship with the contest, it was held indoors. Anything you choose, sweater, t shirt, whatever will be fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for any details.

Here is the link. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3510/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDc5NjAzMTE1L3NpZC9mVTBFUUNUR3FWU2t1NGs0WjJxSU1PVnltS1lYJTdFM01rTWk3VWxBZ2l3VGtMd1NFJTdFJTdFZEg5QW8wMG1UeWh4Rmt2SkpfbFlGZHBZbzJMWFUxNCU3RWxjcmtwSGRHblZYUUJ0bXZvV1BhV0ZPaFBHZkd5Z0Vyc3d5aDAlN0VBJTIxJTIx

Thanks for the replies and input. I think I will probably go with whatever I find that is the least expensive. I know the craft stores often have t-shirts for $5 or less, but I could probably score some low cost sweaters at a consignment or thrift shop too!. Most of our group will most likely not wear these again (but you never know!).

Hi,

Last December we went on the Inspiration 4 nighter, and we too saw an Ugly Sweater Contes was planned. So, before our cruise we went thrift store shopping and found some hideous sweaters:eek:

When it came time to gather in the Atrium, my Mom & I were the only ugly sweater people that we saw. The balloons fell from the ceiling, the Grinch came out, we all took photos wth him .....but there was no mention of THE Contest. Darn.

SO, I hope your Ugly Sweater Contest kicks butt....in the nicest of ways!:D

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

Hi,

Last December we went on the Inspiration 4 nighter, and we too saw an Ugly Sweater Contes was planned. So, before our cruise we went thrift store shopping and found some hideous sweaters:eek:

When it came time to gather in the Atrium, my Mom & I were the only ugly sweater people that we saw. The balloons fell from the ceiling, the Grinch came out, we all took photos wth him .....but there was no mention of THE Contest. Darn.

SO, I hope your Ugly Sweater Contest kicks butt....in the nicest of ways!:D

Bobbi

I hope this isn't the case. My sons response when I asked the kids if they would participate was "If we are going to do this we are going to go all in, as in we are it to win it not just participate!" :eek:

That link doesn't work cause its encrypted already, but I think you meant this link?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3510/~/christmas-holiday-season

Spirit of the Season – ‘Tis the Season

Put on your most festive ugly sweater, warm up those vocal chords and gather around to help us welcome the very jolly Santa Claus himself!

Hosted by the Cruise Director and together with the children from Camp Carnival and Camp Ocean, we celebrate the spirit of the holiday season as we combine holiday magic with a little Carnival fun! Guests of all ages are encouraged to bring their ugliest Christmas sweater for this fun competition. And then it’s time to shake your bells and make cheerful noise to welcome in Santa Claus as he makes his way down the glass atrium elevator.

On the Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit, there will be a crazy, festive holiday hat competion instead of the ugly sweater contest.

FWIW I will be w a group of 17 on the Dec 1 Paradise cruise and among us, we decided to do an Ugly Xmas Sweater Night, Xmas PJ Night, and Xmas headwear night (antlers, hats, etc)

Edited by twitzgall

The web site describes 3 items:

Spirit of the Season – Tree Lighting

Spirit of the Season – Let it Snow!

Are these 3 separate events scheduled on different days and times?

Thanks

That link doesn't work cause its encrypted already, but I think you meant this link?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3510/~/christmas-holiday-season

FWIW I will be w a group of 17 on the Dec 1 Paradise cruise and among us, we decided to do an Ugly Xmas Sweater Night, Xmas PJ Night, and Xmas headwear night (antlers, hats, etc)

That's so festive and fun! I'm lucky I could get my family to agree to the ugly sweaters. Haven't broken it to them yet that I'm ordering boarding day t-shirts too! :D

The web site describes 3 items:

Spirit of the Season – Tree Lighting

Spirit of the Season – Let it Snow!

Are these 3 separate events scheduled on different days and times?

Thanks

I am wondering the same...