Viking China

2tsquared

Yes, water!!! I was so concerned about drinking water that I brought along a full six pack in my carry on. LOL!!! Bottled water is provided daily in your hotel rooms and aboard ship. You will have more of it than you can possibly consume! If you do purchase any beverage on the streets from small shop vendors, look to see that the seal is intact before purchasing and if the seal doesn't seem right when you twist it open, discard it. Both Pepsi and Coke are readily available although diet soda is harder to find. I'd also suggest purchasing some Chinese beer.

Cheers,

LT

Actually I found Diet Coke to be readily available. Diet Pepsi was another matter all together.

But it is true, water is plentiful. Even if you go through the hotel bottles, water is cheap on the streets - 2-5RMB for a small bottle. Also Viking on the tour buses sell water - 2 bottles for $1 or 3 bottles for 10 RMB (approx. $1.25). Also at every port when you get off the ship is some local selling vaious beverages including Coke & water - I found this a very economical way to load up before going ashore (plus the prices were cheaper than what Viking was charging).

Also as a nice touch Viking has a caraffe of water & iced tea set out by the reception desk on board each day when you get back from your shore excursions. This is a good way to replenish. Also water is very plentiful in the dining rooms (The water they serve is purified and safe to drink).

There have been many comments about having small bills which is probably very good advice. But......are you talking about RMB or US$?? Is the best place to exchange $ at the hotels? What did some of you do??

There have been many comments about having small bills which is probably very good advice. But......are you talking about RMB or US$?? Is the best place to exchange $ at the hotels? What did some of you do??

Both currencies are widely accepted so it really didn't matter which you were using.

As for exchanging money, one of the beneifts of a communist country is that the exchange rate is fairly fixed - approx 8RMB to $1. Rates are equal at either hotel desks or via ATMs. One thing about ATMs though is that not every ATM will be able to read your card. There were several times when I had to try multiple ATMs to find a "working" one. Also once you start the cruise portion ATMs become relatively few & far between so be sure you have enough cash with you before you board the ship.

jeff

The American dollar is welcomed currency with all street vendors, although we tried not to use them often. It's really up to you about how you feel with regards to putting those dollars into the world market in China for by doing that you're really forcing our government to print more money (our tax dollars at work) while providing the Chinese with another monetary exchange unit.... While in China, we used our ATM card in all of the big cities and used the yuan as our currency of choice. You will have no problem in doing that as long as you remember that you will not be able to access more funds in the rural areas. Little Toot

We only found one ATM that would not accept our bank card (Cirrus) while in China, but remember to notify your local bank of your travel plans as that may help you expedite your cash withdrawals.

LT

My parents took some travelers checks and had no problem cashing them in at the hotels. Do note though that on board the ship that the ship's front desk cannot do any currency conversions.

Hi, my wife and I and my parents will be on the Sun on the July 2nd cruise.

Dragonmaster

My 16 year old grandson, Matt, and I will be on the July 2nd cruise..look for him..he's 6' 5" and still growing Lostqeba aka Bruce

This is my first visit here and I have been reading for over an hour on everyone's fabulous vacations. It is driving me crazy with anticipation THANK GOD I only have 17 days until we leave.

Reba: you mentioned the Zoo and the Pearl Factory. I have looked in my interinary and did not see those mentioned. We they mentioned in your original documents or did they just announce them once you were there? We are flying in a day early just to go to the Pearl Market. I think that is the only reason my mom wants to go to China.:D

LandLover: I used Vikings recommended Visa service I live in Ft Laud/Miami area and I weighted the time, gas, tolls/parking fees to that of the convience and it was hands down worth it. I had my visa/passport back exactly 1 week from when I sent it FEDEX. However, when they sent it back using FEDEX they did not require a signature for the envelope and I came home to find it on my door step. That is a little scary :eek: so if you use them have it sent to work or where someone is always home.

Does anyone have any advice about bringing a laptop? I want to be able to back up photos: just in case.

THANK YOU,

Tina

This is my first visit here and I have been reading for over an hour on everyone's fabulous vacations. It is driving me crazy with anticipation THANK GOD I only have 17 days until we leave.

Reba: you mentioned the Zoo and the Pearl Factory. I have looked in my interinary and did not see those mentioned. We they mentioned in your original documents or did they just announce them once you were there? We are flying in a day early just to go to the Pearl Market. I think that is the only reason my mom wants to go to China.:D

Does anyone have any advice about bringing a laptop? I want to be able to back up photos: just in case.

THANK YOU,

Tina

Hi Tina-

Hopefully these next couple of weeks will go by quickly.

Just wanted to let you know that while in Beijing, the Silk Market has just the same quality of pearls as does the Pearl Market. I'm only saying this because I was with a friend who was a jewelry purchaser for Tiffany's and she went to both markets and found the quality comparable at both markets. If you are pressed for time it may be better just to go to the Silk Market as it's more convenient and has additional shopping. The plus that the Pearl Market has is that it is right across the street from the Temple of Heaven & Earth which is an amazing site to see (and something not included on the officialy tour itinerary), and is not as crowded as the Silk Market.

As for laptops I did bring one. There was connectivity at all of the hotels, but the policies did vary (i.e. at the Westin in Shanghai, WiFi in the lobby was free but you had to pay for it in the room. At the Shanri-La in Beijing there was free internet both in the room & lobby). Forget about logging on anywhere during the cruise portion. Also the airports are not very good about WiFi - both the Chongqing & Xi'an airports said that there was wireless available but I was never able to find a hot spot. Also remember to bring an adapter and voltage converter if bringing a laptop!

One plus with brining a laptop might be for the flight over/back from China. Since Viking uses United mostly it appears and they don't have in-seat TVs for coach, you could use your computer to play your own DVDs en route. You just may want to check to see if there are power outlets available depending on the aircraft you are on to power your laptop. As an aside, my parents flew on United 747's to/from China and in both instances the movie equipment did not work so they had no entertainment for both flights. Just another reason to possibly consider bringing your own.

Hello everyone,

Nancy and I returned home from three weeks in China two days ago. Three weeks, including 9 days on the Viking Century Sun. The people and places we saw, as well as the Century Sun and her staff, knocked our socks off. Sunny every day on the river, and we danced every night!

Not sure if I'll have time soon to write a full review, but I'll be happy to answer questions.

I've loved the direction this thread has grown. Good job, folks.

Reba, I did send your good wishes and hello to Pandora. What a smile I got in return!

Jack

LandLover: I used Vikings recommended Visa service I live in Ft Laud/Miami area and I weighted the time, gas, tolls/parking fees to that of the convience and it was hands down worth it. I had my visa/passport back exactly 1 week from when I sent it FEDEX. However, when they sent it back using FEDEX they did not require a signature for the envelope and I came home to find it on my door step. That is a little scary :eek: so if you use them have it sent to work or where someone is always home.

Tina

Thanks for the info Tina, still haven't decided how I am going to approach it. Am leaving for Europe with my 13 year old in a few weeks so will not be able to send in my passport until mid July and we are leaving for China in late Aug. Just don't like sending it to DC when I live in CA. Of course sometimes things come faster cross country than they do down the street.:) I just figure if my DH can take it in and get it back in a few hours or the next day that saves me that waiting period.

Where I live I am amazed at what they leave on the door step...I guess

the companies feel it is worth the risk.

Have a wonderful time and don't forget to fill us in.....L:) ri

Hello everyone,

Nancy and I returned home from three weeks in China two days ago. Three weeks, including 9 days on the Viking Century Sun. The people and places we saw, as well as the Century Sun and her staff, knocked our socks off. Sunny every day on the river, and we danced every night!

Not sure if I'll have time soon to write a full review, but I'll be happy to answer questions.

I've loved the direction this thread has grown. Good job, folks.

Reba, I did send your good wishes and hello to Pandora. What a smile I got in return!

Jack

Jack, sounds like you had a wonderful time.......and Sun if all of us could be that lucky.........Was your cruise at capacity? What tour did you find the most interesting?

L:) ri

PS.............glad you were able to put those dancing shoes to work. Were the musicians still the man and wife team?

Hi, Lori,

The ship wasn't quite to capacity - about 280 passengers we were told. Hard to say what our favorite off-ship tour was - I'd say the terra cotta warriors (or "worriors" as a highway sign put it). Amazing to see, and they are continuing to find more - a work in progress, which made the experience even more fascinating.

Three gorges and Li River were absolutely spectacular, of course.

The couple playing for dancng was from Bulgaria. The Sky's band is Hungarian. Fun when I realized we were doing a Vienese waltz played by Bulgarians on the Yangtze River.

When is your trip?

Jack

Murphey,

The weather between May 9 and May 29 was gorgeous. Significant rain on the Li River - still a beautiful experience, though; none on the Yangtze! A bit in the evening in Beijing. Never terribly hot. Never cold. (We were very fortunate)

Jack

Jack,

I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time and the weather was accomodating. What were some of the better places for shopping deals? Did you also go to Hong Kong? We are going for 24 days in all without travel time. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of attire for the ship? Since we are limited to the luggage and weight.

The days that you were on the ship was there time to go off and see other things or was it like on a major cruise line were right after an excursion the ship leaves? We did the Nile River last September and we allowed 3-4 hours before and after to sightsee and we cruise mainly around dinner time.

Thank You so much,

Tina

PS--> Is anyone else going on the June 14th trip. We are leaving a day early. Only 11 days to go!!!!!!

Jack, you mentioned a band? So there were more musicians on your trip? Maybe due to the more cruisers. Our cruise was pretty close to being sold out about a month ago..We will be on the Sun, if I recall one of your posts mentioned you were on the Sky, but you were on the river for 9 days, am I confused? Do both ships do the trip?:D

We are leaving late Aug. and returning Sept. 9...just doing the Cultural Delights tour, no add-ons, have 3 teens at home so can't give them to many days of freedom:D

I'll have more questions later, L:) ri

Tina,

24 days? Lucky Lady.......and the Nile now I am really envious....did you use a Tour company when you traveled to Egypt? If you did would you mind sharing it? I know you are in a rush to get ready, but if you have a few moments for a mini review of your experience I would appreciate it.

Regarding clothing let me tell you what I have done in the past which has been very helpful for these countries with humid climates. I take very thin polyester tops rather than cotton they wick the moisture away..and get this I usually purchase 2 of the same style on sale..and that way I can wear my coordinating capris longer. As far as weight I think 3 of these tops would weight about the same as one cotton top. Also I leave many of my clothes behind. Many people state they purchase clothing as they travel...please let us know what worked best for you. Now with all airlines at 50lbs( for China 44 right?) it really puts a crimp in our style especially when many tours limit you to one suitcase and a small carry-on.

Safe Travels............L:) ri

Jack,

I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time and the weather was accomodating. What were some of the better places for shopping deals? Did you also go to Hong Kong? We are going for 24 days in all without travel time. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of attire for the ship? Since we are limited to the luggage and weight.

The days that you were on the ship was there time to go off and see other things or was it like on a major cruise line were right after an excursion the ship leaves? We did the Nile River last September and we allowed 3-4 hours before and after to sightsee and we cruise mainly around dinner time.

Hi, Tina,

Shopping (Nancy and I are probably of a different mind about this. I'll let her repond to you): If I were to do it again, I'd wait for almost all my shopping for Hong Kong, if that is where you're ending your China trip. We began in Beijing and had practically no time on our own for shopping. Touts and hawkers will nag you at the Great Wall, but they'll have nothing you can't find elsewhere. No time at all or shopping in Xi'an or Chongqing. The only cities in which we had much time on our own were Wuhan, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, with HK allowing by far the most free time. We loved Stanley (I've been there 4 times!), but also walked up and down Nathan Road (tiring). There's a big, exciting bazaar in Shanghai near the beautiful Yu Gardens where I spent a bit. We did love our free afternoon in Wuhan and purchased a beautiful kite from a man with a display on the lovely waterfront walkway for 18 yuan (a bit over $2). No interesting shopping in the city, however. This interaction is a favorite memory of ours. Generally, not a lot of free time in any city but HK.

On board the C Sun, for the men, shorts during the day is fine, but I'd recommend not wearing them in the cities, as we only saw one local man wearing shorts - a stall owner at the Stanley market. Tourists in their shorts looked rather goofy (some would say out of place or disrespectful). Dinners were "country club casual." A few wore jeans or shorts, and looked out of place. The two captain's dinners were a wee bit more, with a few men wearing jackets and/or ties.

Re weight limits, Viking did check one bag each, not charging for excess (over 20kg) until the Guilin to HK add on. On all domestic flights, we could carry on "all we could manage." Some, you could imagine, managed several bags.

As for laundry, not as inexpensive as we were led to believe - $12 US for a pair of socks, nightgown, T-shirt, and crop pants with no ironing - so we did the little stuff in the sink, and it dried on the balcony during the afternoon.

Sorry I got the run-ons. Maybe I'll be a bit more concise next time. Still having some jet lag effects.

Lori, we were on the C Sun. The band was a couple from Bulgaria, playing very danceable music.

Jack

L:) ri,

I am more than happy to share the details of our trip to Egypt with you.:D We did use a travel company it was like nothing I had ever experienced before. My mom found an AD in the Ft Myers Paper for a local travel agency who had a DEAL!!!!!! The way this trip is structured is truely what I was expecting not what we had. However, under the circumstances we had the BEST EXPERIENCE ANYONE COULD ASK FOR!!!!!! Last year I developed migraines a side effect from the brain surgery that I had.

We were greeted at the airport by Micheal (w/ one of those Limo signs) and from that point on we did not do a thing for ourselves. We had a private driver, our own Personal Guide "Micheal", and each city we went to it was the same thing when we were not on the Cruise.

They could not do enough for us. I HIGHLY recommend using Oberio Philae for the cruise portion of your trip. I have been on a few Large Cruise Lines and nothing and I mean nothing can compare to the way you are pampered. I now have an idea of what the Queen of England feels like or a Celebrity.

We were there 10 days (11 day package just like this one they count the day your on the plane) and the TOTAL COST INCLUDING AIR/TAXES $6001.98 for the both of us out of JFK. We added a day in Alexandria which was not part of the original deal that added $1000 to the total cost, my mom did not think it was worth it after we went there. Truth be told it was a lot for what we saw and did, but we were already there why not? Plus travel insurance $540, which was for both of as well.:eek:

I still have every single piece of paper from the trip in a folder and would be more than happy to fax you what ever you want.

America's Vacation Store--> Gisela Goodman 239-274-9999 booked the vacation for us through

STI (Sakkara Tours) 201-678-0304 http://www.sti-travel.com They are out of Hackensack, NJ

There were others (people we met on the Oberio Philae Nile Cruise) that used BEST TOURS and were equally as pleased. I believe they are a European Tour Company and we plan on using them when we go back to Europe later this year.

Just let me know what you need. I have plenty of time before we leave.

It seems like it was last month that we went.

---Tina

Archived