Viking China

2tsquared

Jerry,

I am so enjoying your photos! We took this same trip last October and I am reliving it through your camera! I am even seeing some of the same vendors, particularly one of the "rickshaw" drivers!!!

Do you know if Brenda of Viking is doing this tour? She was our guide and was wonderful! If you see her (she is in her early 40's, wears glasses), please tell her Ronni and Frank Echevarria of San Diego said nihau!!!

Coasters - looks like the weather is pretty good? Also, crowds don't seem to be an issue - perhaps April is a good time to go....

Any pics of the food you're experiencing. My wife is a very picky eater and we were wondering if they "tell" you what the various dishes are??

Last year our Viking guide made it a point at each meal to briefly explain which each dish was.

But also with that, there weren't many "exotic" dishes served. It really seems that Viking keeps close tabs on the menus prepared at the various restaurants so that they are western-friendly.

Boy, this board has gotten awfully quiet! Had been expecting some reports from Bill and Jerry (our current travelers). Hope everything is going well for them. Two months away from our Imperial Jewels tour and getting "mentally" prepared.

Dorothy

Boy, this board has gotten awfully quiet! Had been expecting some reports from Bill and Jerry (our current travelers). Hope everything is going well for them. Two months away from our Imperial Jewels tour and getting "mentally" prepared.

Dorothy

I'm wondering if Bill & Jerry aren't on the cruise portion of the trip right now. Last year when we were on the cruise portion any type of connectivity was all but impossible and I litterally went "off the grid" for 4 days.

It really has gotten quiet. I think it must be hard to send reports while you're experiencing the trip. I'm hoping we get a complete report when the travelers return. We still have four months, but I'm doing my homework while I wait. Meanwhile we wait!

Has anyone heard about/used an item called Steripen for purifying water in CHina? Is it worth the purchase price? We are going on this trip in August...

Bobbie

No need to bring it as bottled water is sold everywhere and is very very cheap. Also all the hotels you stay at typically give you two 1/2 litre bottles per day free-of-charge.

We depart on 27 May for the China Cultural Delights tour Shanghai to Beijing and received our travel package today from VRC (~37 days prior to departure). Each of us received a black nylon traveling pouch that can be hung around your neck. Inside was the following: vouchers for transfers, hotels, and cruise, airline arrangments, one red VRC luggage tag, two paper identification tags for luggage, a sticker (assume its for ID upon arrival), detailed itinerary and general travel information, and also a mini China/Yangtze travel book. All good stuff!:)

April 15, 2007

Just uploaded the latest photos ... current up to Viking Day 5

http://picasaweb.google.com/JerrysWebPage/VikingBeijing

notes and captions to follow... when we have some free time!!

Great Trip, excellent tours, guides, facilities food...etc.

I have to ask, what kind of camera do you have? You took some wonderful pictures. I loved the ones that show everyday life. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Felicia

I am leaving in Sept and found this marvelous thread a few weeks ago. I printed out all the posts and have spent a lot of spare time reading thru them. And I now find I have a lot of questions - :)

In no particular order:

1. I'm a little bit worried about the diarrhea part. I can handle a cold, but what happens if you have this problem in the middle of the tour? Do the buses stop to accomodate those with "special needs"?

2. Is 35mm film easily available to purchase in China, and is it good quality? I am uneasy about taking my digital camera, as I recently returned from a trip where all my pictures magically disappeared. I think if that happened from my China trip, I'd be so upset! I prefer taking a digital camera, but I trust the 35mm film.

3. If anyone has any suggestions on a reputable digital camera that's not the size of Texas, please let me know. (Not HP please)

4. Is there a muster drill on the ship, like you have on the larger cruise lines?

5. Are there bathtubs in the cabins? (Thought I saw a picture that had a tub in it, which actually surprised me.)

6. Anyone ever fly United's business class to China, and if so, what are the amenities? (I'm very lucky to fly in business on such a long flight.)

7. Is there room service onboard the ship?

8. Is there a daily program on the ship that would list things to do? (I'm thinking large cruise ships) and if there is, what kinds of activities do they offer?

9. I've got a weight problem and going to China is an incentive to get some of the weight off before I leave. Of course, I'll still have a million pounds to go when Sept rolls around (!!! j/k !!!) but am wondering about the attitude towards overweight people there. Also, are there any hinderances that an overweight person should know about? (skinny chairs, etc.) Don't laugh.. Ok, laugh.

10. One more overweight question - I would like to buy some clothes while I'm there, like the faux silk shirts and such. Do they have larger clothes for sale? (Somehow I imagine they don't.)

I think 10 questions is enough for now. I would like to thank everyone in advance who answers these questions, and also thank all the previous posters, because I gleaned so much information and am VERY excited about the trip.

Felicia

I am leaving in Sept and found this marvelous thread a few weeks ago. I printed out all the posts and have spent a lot of spare time reading thru them. And I now find I have a lot of questions - :)

In no particular order:

1. I'm a little bit worried about the diarrhea part. I can handle a cold, but what happens if you have this problem in the middle of the tour? Do the buses stop to accomodate those with "special needs"?

Buses make fairly frequent stops for everyone, but do not stop anywhere "extra." If you're having a problem and you're as sick as we were, you will want to skip that day's activities and stay onboard or in the hotel. The ship's doctor can give you medication to help, but if you are unlucky enough to contract the virus, you will be sick as a dog for around 24-36 hours....

2. Is 35mm film easily available to purchase in China, and is it good quality? I am uneasy about taking my digital camera, as I recently returned from a trip where all my pictures magically disappeared. I think if that happened from my China trip, I'd be so upset! I prefer taking a digital camera, but I trust the 35mm film.

Don't know if film is readily available, but I would imagine it is. You must have reformatted your card somehow on your digital. There are so many beautiful shots to take, I think you will be wasting lots of money on film. I used the Panasonic Lumix DMZ-40(I think that's the number!) It has a 12x optical zoom lens and my photos were absolutely fabulous! Also took great low light shots w/o flash so got great shots of the stage shows. My opinion.....definitely shoot digital....

3. If anyone has any suggestions on a reputable digital camera that's not the size of Texas, please let me know. (Not HP please)

Answered above. Also the Canon Elf is a good one, smaller though, so no long-distance zoom capability....

4. Is there a muster drill on the ship, like you have on the larger cruise lines?

There is a general meeting w/the ship's operations officer (a German guy, really funny) in the lounge....don't remember taking life jackets like on a big ship, though.

5. Are there bathtubs in the cabins? (Thought I saw a picture that had a tub in it, which actually surprised me.)

No bathtubs in the cabins. I think you were looking at a photo of a hotel room.

6. Anyone ever fly United's business class to China, and if so, what are the amenities? (I'm very lucky to fly in business on such a long flight.)

You are indeed lucky! That was a very long flight for us in coach. We went last October.

7. Is there room service onboard the ship?

No.

8. Is there a daily program on the ship that would list things to do? (I'm thinking large cruise ships) and if there is, what kinds of activities do they offer?

There is a daily program of the next day's excursion. Remember, this is a small ship so there are no programs I can remember that occurred while the buses had all the passengers off on excursions. The daily trips are so outstanding you won't want to stay on the ship anyway.

9. I've got a weight problem and going to China is an incentive to get some of the weight off before I leave. Of course, I'll still have a million pounds to go when Sept rolls around (!!! j/k !!!) but am wondering about the attitude towards overweight people there. Also, are there any hinderances that an overweight person should know about? (skinny chairs, etc.) Don't laugh.. Ok, laugh.

I'm not laughing. There was plenty of room for all. Yes, the Chinese are mostly very fit....you will see very old people doing Tai Chi in the parks, etc. As they adopt our Western ways, they are beginning to see some WEstern types of weight problems (you will see KFC everywhere!) Be prepared for the Chinese to look at you. We were there for China Day (October 1). All the Chinese people were visiting the same places as we were. Many of them from the countryside are not used to seeing Caucasians, so we WERE the tourist attraction in many places, I think more from being Caucasian than being overweight. They took OUR pictures many, many times, sometimes having their children stand beside us. Some of them patted our friend's husband's tummy--a symbol of "good luck" for the Chinese.

10. One more overweight question - I would like to buy some clothes while I'm there, like the faux silk shirts and such. Do they have larger clothes for sale? (Somehow I imagine they don't.)

Depends on how large......

I think 10 questions is enough for now. I would like to thank everyone in advance who answers these questions, and also thank all the previous posters, because I gleaned so much information and am VERY excited about the trip.

You're welcome. Have a wonderful trip! I would love to go again!

Hope this is helpful!

The ship's doctor can give you medication to help, but if you are unlucky enough to contract the virus, you will be sick as a dog for around 24-36 hours....

I have been trying to put some science to this illness thing. Seems like most people get sick on the ship, not in the hotels. So I'm trying to figure out why. What's bothersome is a lot who got sick said they were obsessive about handwashing, Purell, etc. I'm not going to worry about it, but am trying to think of preventive measures ahead of time

Don't know if film is readily available, but I would imagine it is. You must have reformatted your card somehow on your digital. There are so many beautiful shots to take, I think you will be wasting lots of money on film. I used the Panasonic Lumix DMZ-40(I think that's the number!) It has a 12x optical zoom lens and my photos were absolutely fabulous! Also took great low light shots w/o flash so got great shots of the stage shows. My opinion.....definitely shoot digital....

Thanks for the advice on the camera. I got a hold of a Consumer Reports guide on digital cameras, but after losing my pictures recently, I don't trust any of them. LOL

I probably did reformat w/o realizing what I did and how.

No bathtubs in the cabins. I think you were looking at a photo of a hotel room.

Hey, who knows, maybe sitting in the bathtubs would be what causes people to get sick. Water's creeping up in places (you know what I mean!) I mean, you hear people saying their husbands got sick when they shaved with the water. I plan on keeping my mouth closed when I shower, which I understand is pretty difficult.

Wow, it does sound like I'm paranoid about this. LOL

There is a daily program of the next day's excursion. Remember, this is a small ship so there are no programs I can remember that occurred while the buses had all the passengers off on excursions. The daily trips are so outstanding you won't want to stay on the ship anyway.

What about when you're sailing and not docked - things to do?

Be prepared for the Chinese to look at you. Some of them patted our friend's husband's tummy--a symbol of "good luck" for the Chinese.

I guess I'm very lucky then. LOL

Thanks again for your answers, Ronni. I'm going to throw out some more questions in a little bit.

Felicia

I just wanted to mention that I used Generations Visa, the visa service Viking recommends and have so far been very impressed.

I had to send them my passport twice - once because I mailed everything but the passport (I thought it was in the envelope & discovered it in my purse 2 hrs after it was mailed.) So I called them and they told me just to mail the passport by itself with a note.

I imagined this gigantic room with thousands of people working up visas, so I was a little uneasy about doing it, but I did and they called to tell me they got it and would work up the visa when it was time.

Then I booked a trip where I needed my passport and I asked them to send it back. They did, along with a note telling me what to do when I wanted them to have it back, which I did last week. I sent it via certified mail and they signed for it already. I probably won't get my passport until a month or two from now, since I don't leave for 5 months.

Because they have been in communication with me and seem to be organized, I have been impressed with them.

Felicia

From what I've read in this thread, a lot of people had a problem with jet lag, as one would expect from such a long flight. I have a book to recommend, which has worked well for me on flights to Europe, 7+ hrs long. It's called "Overcoming Jet Lag" by Dr. Charles Ehret & Lynne Waller Scanlon.

I have never tried the things they've mentioned for returning, but depending on which direction you're flying and how many time zones you cross, you have 3 things to do. They are feasting and fasting (alternate days), drinking coffee or tea and sleeping/exposure to light. It's not a difficult book to read (not too sciencey) and as I said, I found it really worked great for traveling to Europe.

I'm going to try it before going to China, since crossing 13 time zones is going to be the longest I've ever done.

I hope this suggestion helps anyone who's concerned about jet lag.

Felicia

I fly biz class on United from SFO to PEK. All the amenities are on the business class page on United's web page. Truthfully there is nothing "special" about flying United in business class vs. say a cathay pacific or a Singapore Airlines.

What I can say:

- there are NO arrivals lounge for a shower or the like in PEK

- on board it is basic business class service.

- in flight entertainment is rudimentary at best

- if flying on a 747, try for the seats on the upper deck as it's a better experience up there

Any other specific questions about United's biz class please feel free to ask. You also may want to check out the United forum on FlyerTalk.com as there are many different threads about their business class product.

I fly biz class on United from SFO to PEK. All the amenities are on the business class page on United's web page. Truthfully there is nothing "special" about flying United in business class vs. say a cathay pacific or a Singapore Airlines.

What I can say:

- there are NO arrivals lounge for a shower or the like in PEK

- on board it is basic business class service.

- in flight entertainment is rudimentary at best

- if flying on a 747, try for the seats on the upper deck as it's a better experience up there

Any other specific questions about United's biz class please feel free to ask. You also may want to check out the United forum on FlyerTalk.com as there are many different threads about their business class product.

Thanks, JJ. I went to the website and read all about the amenities. (I don't know why I ddin't think of that before.) I am on a 747. How is it better up there? Right now my seat is on the lower deck.

Felicia

Thanks, JJ. I went to the website and read all about the amenities. (I don't know why I ddin't think of that before.) I am on a 747. How is it better up there? Right now my seat is on the lower deck.

Felicia

Switch to the upper deck if at all possible, it makes all the difference!! You should be able to do it just as a regular seat change. If nothing is available, keep checking as some biz class flyers get upgraded to first and then their seats become available. The rows for the upper deck are rows 11-18. Check out SeatGuru for all the details. There's also a quite extensive thread here which I found quite useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393041

For instance, I was sitting onthe upper deck and decided to talk a walk on the main deck to stretch my legs. Oh my!! It was like a totally different flight down there - loud, chaotic, people everywhere.

Upstairs it was quiet, peaceful - almost like you were flying in your own private jet. The only -slight- complaint about the upper deck is that it can get a bit warm later in the flight (e.g. heat rises). One other attribute of the upper deck is that all seat are 2x2 vs. a 2x3x2 configuation on the main deck. Also in the upper deck, all of the window seats have neat little side lockers for your purse or small carry-on bag (a suitcase won't fit) and double as a nice side table.

The only way I'd give up an upper deck seat is if I was offered a first class seat. :-)

Dorothy

Nin hao everyone! Got to Shanghai after the long bus ride in from Nanking. Great stop at Suzhou - silk is really reasonable and high quality (got 4 duvees). Shopping throughout has been interesting and productive - our group will probably set a record for carry-ons. (we shipped duvees and bronzes with the concierge here at the Portman Ritz-Carlton) Initial tip: booking early puts you in the hotels with the best location and the most experienced guides. Century Sun was wonderful although it seemed there are a lot of new faces on the staff. Hope to share more captioned photos soon.

WIT

I'm wondering if Bill & Jerry aren't on the cruise portion of the trip right now. Last year when we were on the cruise portion any type of connectivity was all but impossible and I litterally went "off the grid" for 4 days.

Now in Shanghai - You're absolutely right. Hope to post more soon, WIT

WIT - Thanks for the heads up on the weather (other message board) Looking forward to our trip, leaving May 8th. Guess I better take along a sweatshirt just in case it's cool in the mornings and evenings. I heard that it does get cool while on the "Wall". Willard

Felicia: You asked Jerry to tell you what kind of camera he used. I asked him the same question a while back and he uses a Kodak P712 and is very happy with it.

A while back, sakedad took some pictures (1,600+!) and posted them. They were also fabulous. He used a Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ20 and had good results with night pictures, etc.

Ronni was very helpful, as was Jerry in making camera suggestions. When I reread Ronni's post, I found she used the Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ7S and reported that she loved her more than 3,000! pictures.

The FZ20 is discontinued, but the FZ7S is available and has the same features, plus some upgrades. I've been doing some research and it sounds good. I agree with Ronni, take a digital.

Felicia, what are your dates for your trip? We are also leaving in September.

I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Loved it. Have also finished rereading Pearl S. Buck's The Empress and The Good Earth, and loved them all over again. Another book I just finished was Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning. That book was suggested by a friend as a warning about behaving like a "tourist". Interesting. I still have several recommended books to read about the 3 Gorges.

I have found preparing for this trip to be unlike any other. I'm loving the history, the traditions and the contradictions. Thankfully everyone has raved about the trip even though several had their share of adversity:eek: If i can I'm going to Lantau Island, have dim sum, see Yu Yuan Gardens, and ride the Star Ferry in addition to doing all the things on our trip. I will take as many pictures as Ronni, ignore the smog, and savor each minute! Can't wait!

Marian

You sound like a reader (like me). A couple other great books for you: "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang, "The Distant Land of My Father" by Bo Caldwell, "The River at the Center of the World" by Simon Winchester. All very interesting and excellent reading. We are on the June 17 , Imperial Jewels of China. Can hardly wait!

Dorothy

Archived