Viking China

2tsquared

Haggar,

Knives and forks were almost always set at the tables. On the few occasions we had to ask, cutlery was provided. Tea bags and instant coffee packets were in every one of our rooms and ship cabin, (sorry no brandy). Full size umbrellas were in each our hotel room closets, however, like you, we had packed smaller folding umbrellas that came in handy. We took our own favorite rain ponchos and used them! You might also want to consider taking sugar substitute and instant hot chocolate as these were not always available.

Cups/mugs were essential for us, as the ship does not have Styrofoam or paper cups for coffee to travel! Only small china cups. We were very happy to have remembered to take our travel mugs. We made iced tea and other drinks using these with the "water boiler pots" in cabin and every hotel room.

As for currency, we settled our bill on the Century Sun with an American Express Credit Card. Upon actual billing, Amex did the currency conversion. Matter of fact, Amex processed a bit more favorable rate than that which the ship calculated. All purchases on board the ship are charged to your account, no cash is exchanged. We used credit, but noticed others using cash of other country currencies. Exchange rates were clearly posted at the ship's front desk.

We traveled in early April and did not find a need for insect repellent, however you might... it's easy to pack.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for that. We always use a sugar substitute and i mentioned the others because in cafes often or not it's only chopsticks!

Interesting re the currency.

We are returning to Bangkok for about a week before going home and could be taking an evening tour or two..every hint is welcome.

cheers helga

Helga,

want to be clearer about the currency question on board our ship. Purchases on board are charged to your account. Ship staff gratuities could also be conveniently charged.

When settling your bill upon check out, it seemed to me that all currencies were accepted, daily exchange rates clearly posted.

Notes: Check out on ship – remember you CAN add ship staff tips to your charges if that's how you want to cover the cost they will not ask or remind you at the front desk. Also they do NOT ACCEPT Travelers Checks or Diners Club Cards.

I just read your e-mail and wanted to give you a quick reply. We went on the Danube with Viking last summer and had a terrific time. We went to Greece , Turkey and Istanbul on big ship a few weeks ago. We have just booked imperial china and Hong Kong for next summer. Viking does a great job in europe. Our friends just returned from Imperial china and couldn't stop raving.

I would not be concerned about Viking in Europe. We've been crusing for 20 years and that was our best cruise.

I just read your e-mail and wanted to give you a quick reply. We went on the Danube with Viking last summer and had a terrific time. We went to Greece , Turkey and Istanbul on big ship a few weeks ago. We have just booked imperial china and Hong Kong for next summer. Viking does a great job in europe. Our friends just returned from Imperial china and couldn't stop raving.

I would not be concerned about Viking in Europe. We've been crusing for 20 years and that was our best cruise.

FYI,

Viking has just started "Viking Tours". We received their catalog only yesterday. We're already booked with Vantage Travel to Egypt for Feb 08, - Viking has a similar package although at a slightly higher price.

Jerry

Support socks are good for flying,try and keep your feet up !

Can you tell me whether ONLY US$ were used on board Viking cruises, or was any currency accepted ?

We are going on the Upstream Yangzhe cruise on Vic. Prince from Shanghai on 26 Aug.

Have been checking over what we usually take with us on our asian trips:

fold-up umbrella,insect repellent,and a cup/mug.

powered milk,I just pop some in a plastic bag and seal, also teabags (I"M an aussie!) and some instant coffee.

Because neither of us can get our hands around chop sticks, we use our "splades"-combo fork and spoon.Easy to slip into the handbag on tour and VERY HANDY !!!makes the waiters laugh.

AND if you like your drop of brandy etc, take a bottle of brandy and some coca cola with you on board- good when you are tired after walking all day !

We always take those things-clearly marked for customs-of course-you can also slip in some biscuits to go with a cuppa ! Our tried and true travel aids.:)

haggar

Actually, no "money" is used during the cruise. You sign for all your purchases and then pay for everything on the last day. The ship will accept just about any currency and credit card (Visa,Mastercharge).

Unless you have a specific brand of teabags or instant coffee, there is really no need to bring along. The cabins on the ship, as well as in the hotels, all have teabags and coffee. The ship had instant coffee, but in a couple of the hotels we actually had 1 and 2 cup drip coffee makers.

Cathy

Husband wants to know what type of socks you recommend (for comfort and to save space). Any preferences out there? He's primarily a New Balance type of guy on trips and also has a packable casual loafer/moccasin-type of shoe.

By the way, his travel consult recommended moleskin to prevent/help with blisters.

My husband wore Teva sandals most of the trip without socks. For dinner, he just added a pair of black socks and the look became a bit more dressy. When he wanted to wear enclosed shoes, he wore athletic shoes with socks made of coolmax. That helps prevent blisters as well as dries very quickly. On the ship, we washed out undergarments each night and let them dry on our balcony.

For blisters, there is a fairly new product that you might just want to slip into your luggage. Not sure who makes it (maybe Bandaid), but it is a clear stick that you rub on your sensitive areas where your shoes rub -- toes, heels, etc. It acts as a barrier to keep your shoes from rubbing. I use it all the times, works great. The principle is the same when hikers use stick deoderant on their heels. Probably made of the same stuff.

Cathy

I know we got it last week and some of the South American tours look like they belong on our list of future trips.

Our next trip will be to India in 2009. While we thoroughly enjoyed our trip with Viking to China, there India trip doesn't really compare to what some of the other tour companies offer. Viking's stops at factory stores continues no matter what country (smile). We do plan on seriously looking at Viking for their Russian river cruise. We met several couples in China that had been on that trip and they loved it.

Cathy

My husband wore Teva sandals most of the trip without socks. For dinner, he just added a pair of black socks and the look became a bit more dressy. When he wanted to wear enclosed shoes, he wore athletic shoes with socks made of coolmax. That helps prevent blisters as well as dries very quickly. On the ship, we washed out undergarments each night and let them dry on our balcony.

For blisters, there is a fairly new product that you might just want to slip into your luggage. Not sure who makes it (maybe Bandaid), but it is a clear stick that you rub on your sensitive areas where your shoes rub -- toes, heels, etc. It acts as a barrier to keep your shoes from rubbing. I use it all the times, works great. The principle is the same when hikers use stick deoderant on their heels. Probably made of the same stuff.

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy, for the response(s). I'll have to look for the blister product--it sounds like something I would use as frequently as I do the Shout wipes (or Tide pen).

Actually, no "money" is used during the cruise. You sign for all your purchases and then pay for everything on the last day. The ship will accept just about any currency and credit card (Visa,Mastercharge).

Unless you have a specific brand of teabags or instant coffee, there is really no need to bring along. The cabins on the ship, as well as in the hotels, all have teabags and coffee. The ship had instant coffee, but in a couple of the hotels we actually had 1 and 2 cup drip coffee makers.

Cathy

Thanks cathy, we often use more than the few t-bags and coffee provided in hotels.

In Shanghai, we stay at a funny little hotel just a walk away from the museum(fantastic) and from a mall(no cars) with a little 'train' that takes folk up and down it.On the way there is a beaut duck restaurant which we saw by chance. Didn't spot another westerner anywhere around there,not even at the duck restaurant. We are staying at the same hotel this time. It's only 3 1/2 * but comfy.

helga

I read a lot and ready quite a few books in preparation for this trip:

1) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) - interesting to learn about the ancient customs

2) Mao's Last Dancer (Li Cunxin) - great descriptions of peasant family life

3) Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (Jack Weatherford) - Not directly related to this trip, but very interesting information about these former rulers of China.

4) Wild Swans (Jung Chang) - 3 generations of women face the changes in China (got a little tired of this one)

5) The Forbidden City (Frank Dorn) - tells what each room/area in the Forbidden City was used for, and tells stories of what happened.

6) Mr. China (Tim Clissold) - outsider trying to do business in China

7) River Town Two Years on the Yangtze (Peter Hessler) - loved the descriptions of small town life and the students.

8) Oracle Bones (Peter Hessler) - a continuation of River Town that describes Chinese society.

9) Sons of Heaven (Terrence Cheng) - a novel about two brothers on different sides of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations

10) Escape from China (Zhang Boli) - first person account of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations and his life afterwards.

11) Heaven Lake (John Dalton) - takes place in Taiwan and NW China.

12) Forever Lily (Beth Nonte Russell) - adoption of a Chinese baby

13) The Teachings of Confucius - still reading; having a hard time with this one.

Jo - thanks for the timely report. We leave for Beijing in 8 days. I just saw this news report about the 3 Gorges Dam being closed for two days. Did anyone experience this?

Floods put Three Gorges Dam to the test

GOV.cn Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Flood waters are putting China's massive Three Gorges Dam to the test and raising water levels on its longest river, the Yangtze, after weeks of floods nationwide killed about 700 people, Xinhua news agency said today.

Water is being released from the reservoir behind the world's largest hydroelectric project through giant sluice gates, raising water levels downstream.

The central province of Hubei was on alert as the flood crest was expected to reach or exceed levels that would trigger flood warnings, Xinhua said.

"The Three Gorges Dam has opened 18 sluices and the water level in the reservoir will continue to rise," Xinhua quoted a worker at the dam's operation department as saying.

"The safety of the dam will be tested," the worker said.

Water is pouring into the Three Gorges reservoir, which stretches for hundreds of kilometers through narrow gorges, at 51,000 cubic meters per second, and could rise to 56,700 cubic meters per second today. The sluice gates will release water at 48,000 cubic meters per second.

High water levels forced the closure of the ship locks at the dam yesterday.

Hubei was preparing for flood prevention work along the 1,390-km section of the river that runs from the dam to the industrial city of Wuhan, Xinhua said.

Heavy flooding along the Yangtze in 1998 left the streets of Wuhan waist-deep in water while about 3,000 died and 14 million were made homeless along the river.

About 700 Chinese have died this summer from heavy rains that triggered landslides, floods and house collapses.

Hi,

I just finished reading a very entertaining review on last year's Yangtze River Trip. Don't read it until you have lots of time!!! Go to slowtrav.com..click on trip reports and enter1311. It's written by Celtic Girl.

We were at the dam a few days before this date so we missed the closure. The river level was high, true, because of heavy rains, but we managed to escape having to deal with rain during our rain for the most part. During one shore excursion when it was raining lightly, Viking provided rain ponchos for anyone who wanted them; I relied on my fold-up umbrella, however, because those ponchos get hot!

I think I may have seen a total of maybe three insects on the entire trip, and they were big flying beetles, not mosquitoes, but I'd still recommend that you take insect repellent. The temperatures were hotter in Beijing and Shanghai than elsewhere; some on our tour used their umbrellas as the Chinese do to block the sun.

WIT, on our free time in Hong Kong, we had high tea at the Peninsula Hotel late on Sunday afternoon, truly a fine experience. Before that visit, we also checked out a number of shops and of course, took a ferry across to mainland Hong Kong. We, too, stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-La. Our trip was from Beijing to Hong Kong, and we really enjoyed concluding the journey in Hong Kong at this beautiful hotel. All of the Shangri-La properties are fabulous.

The least successful part of our trip involved Air Canada, which Viking used to book our flight from Seattle to Beijing. If at all possible, we will never fly Air Canada again. The equipment is old (we were delayed three hours leaving Hong Kong to replace a fuel pump, a good move, I realize, but we had already been delayed an hour before they put us on the plane and then decided they had to replace the fuel pump), the food is the worst I've ever had on an airline (this trip alone involved 11 flights for us--even Chinese airlines serve better food; that is, except for the dried sour, salted prunes, evidently a favorite snack for the Chinese!), and the in-flight entertainment offered is shown on a few screens that drop from the overheads, not on the backs of the seats as on other international flights we've taken. The only good thing about Air Canada was that the flight from Vancouver to Beijing contained maybe 50 people so we had plenty of room! They have only recently begun to offer a second daily flight in anticipation of the 2009 Olympics, and we were on that one.

We're home at last, tired, laden with purchases, and full of wonderful memories. Again I offer my deepest thanks to all of you who helped us prepare for this trip. Maybe next year we'll try Egypt!

Jo

Jo - thanks for the timely report. We leave for Beijing in 8 days. I just saw this news report about the 3 Gorges Dam being closed for two days. Did anyone experience this?

Floods put Three Gorges Dam to the test

GOV.cn Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Flood waters are putting China's massive Three Gorges Dam to the test and raising water levels on its longest river, the Yangtze, after weeks of floods nationwide killed about 700 people, Xinhua news agency said today.

Water is being released from the reservoir behind the world's largest hydroelectric project through giant sluice gates, raising water levels downstream.

The central province of Hubei was on alert as the flood crest was expected to reach or exceed levels that would trigger flood warnings, Xinhua said.

"The Three Gorges Dam has opened 18 sluices and the water level in the reservoir will continue to rise," Xinhua quoted a worker at the dam's operation department as saying.

"The safety of the dam will be tested," the worker said.

Water is pouring into the Three Gorges reservoir, which stretches for hundreds of kilometers through narrow gorges, at 51,000 cubic meters per second, and could rise to 56,700 cubic meters per second today. The sluice gates will release water at 48,000 cubic meters per second.

High water levels forced the closure of the ship locks at the dam yesterday.

Hubei was preparing for flood prevention work along the 1,390-km section of the river that runs from the dam to the industrial city of Wuhan, Xinhua said.

Heavy flooding along the Yangtze in 1998 left the streets of Wuhan waist-deep in water while about 3,000 died and 14 million were made homeless along the river.

About 700 Chinese have died this summer from heavy rains that triggered landslides, floods and house collapses.

I read a lot and ready quite a few books in preparation for this trip:

1) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) - interesting to learn about the ancient customs

2) Mao's Last Dancer (Li Cunxin) - great descriptions of peasant family life

3) Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (Jack Weatherford) - Not directly related to this trip, but very interesting information about these former rulers of China.

4) Wild Swans (Jung Chang) - 3 generations of women face the changes in China (got a little tired of this one)

5) The Forbidden City (Frank Dorn) - tells what each room/area in the Forbidden City was used for, and tells stories of what happened.

6) Mr. China (Tim Clissold) - outsider trying to do business in China

7) River Town Two Years on the Yangtze (Peter Hessler) - loved the descriptions of small town life and the students.

8) Oracle Bones (Peter Hessler) - a continuation of River Town that describes Chinese society.

9) Sons of Heaven (Terrence Cheng) - a novel about two brothers on different sides of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations

10) Escape from China (Zhang Boli) - first person account of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations and his life afterwards.

11) Heaven Lake (John Dalton) - takes place in Taiwan and NW China.

12) Forever Lily (Beth Nonte Russell) - adoption of a Chinese baby

13) The Teachings of Confucius - still reading; having a hard time with this one.

You will be very glad to be so well-informed because of your reading! I had read many of these as well as Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng, which was one of my favorites, as well as The Binding Chair (I've forgotten the author) about the foot binding custom. Frankly, I'd just skim some Confucious! (Or we referred to him: "confuse-us." By the way, we were all surprised on the final day of the cruise that Viking showed an A & E Biography of Mao that was remarkably accurate rather than mere propaganda.

Jo

Just a little over a week before we leave...anyone else doing Hong Kong pre-tour?

We just got our packet yesterday, and everything checks out fine. We'll be staying in Boston the night before we leave due to an early flight...then to Chicago and on to Hong Kong!

What does anyone think of my husband buying a sport jacket in Hong Kong instead of packing one? Any suggestions where to buy one? Or to have it made? Just how dressy are the good restaurants in Hong Kong?

Thanks to everyone who has added hints to this board...I'll do the same when we return in Spetember!

Bobbie & Paul

I'm pretty sure I've seen the answer, but cannot find it in order to refresh my memory.

1. Do you tip the local guides in US currency?

2. Do you add the tip to your shipboard account or do you tip the entire amount to them in cash?

3. I'm considering taking $300 in ones for lots of shopping and bottled water purchased on the bus. (There's only one of me.) Do you think this is enough, or should I consider more in ones?

Thanks!

Felicia

Hi,

I just finished reading a very entertaining review on last year's Yangtze River Trip. Don't read it until you have lots of time!!! Go to slowtrav.com..click on trip reports and enter1311. It's written by Celtic Girl.

Thanks for posting the link to this report. I printed it out and have been reading bits & pieces, and I agree that it's very entertaining.

Felicia

I'm pretty sure I've seen the answer, but cannot find it in order to refresh my memory.

1. Do you tip the local guides in US currency?

2. Do you add the tip to your shipboard account or do you tip the entire amount to them in cash?

3. I'm considering taking $300 in ones for lots of shopping and bottled water purchased on the bus. (There's only one of me.) Do you think this is enough, or should I consider more in ones?

Thanks!

Felicia

Having just returned, Felicia, I'm happy to answer.

1. Yes, you tip the local guides in US currency. If you can, try to get crisp, new $1 bills---or any US currency for that matter. Our guide told us that the Chinese have problems trying to use any US currency that is worn or tattered. I had one vendor who refused a slightly torn $20.

2. You can add the tip to your shipboard account (remember, no traveler's checks or Diner's Club accepted). We also gave some specific crew who had been especially helpful an additional tip. Envelopes are provided.

3. Three hundred ones should be more than enough. My husband and I took two hundred and came home with about 20. Every day you will find two bottles of water free in your hotel room or cabin so you may not need to purchase much water; we didn't buy much on the bus, but the cost is definitely nominal.

Take a fan! I took one of my old "Chinese" fans, and it surely came in handy.

Jo

Somehow my earlier post ended up outside this category so I am trying again. Can anyone tell me if the hotels they stayed at in China had irons available? Or will I need to send clothes out to be pressed? Thanks to anyone who can reply.

westcoastcruiser...

every one of the hotels we stayed at with Viking had Irons.

Should you want to know more about amenities, laundry and such, feel free to read thru my journal.

http://glevitz.com/ebayimages/vikingjournal.htm

Jerry

We fly out mid-September so the weather will be different on our trip than some of you summer travelers. We will be going in the direction of hot to warm (Shanghai to Beijing). I have an indication from weather.com what the temps may be like but can anyone tell me how much it will "cool" down on the river in the evenings. (It will help with the packing list.)

Thanks much! 30-some days left to go.

D & D

We fly out mid-September so the weather will be different on our trip than some of you summer travelers. We will be going in the direction of hot to warm (Shanghai to Beijing). I have an indication from weather.com what the temps may be like but can anyone tell me how much it will "cool" down on the river in the evenings. (It will help with the packing list.)

Thanks much! 30-some days left to go.

D & D

We went in July-August from Beijing to Shanghai and could discern no difference in temperature once we were on the river, not even at night. I took a lightweight shawl that I used onboard occasionally in the dining room and enclosed observation deck where programs are held.

By all means, treat yourself to a Chinese foot massage! It was a wonderful experience and not expensive. I scheduled mine late in the evening and slept blissfully. Others in my group had nail treatments and massages and were pleased with the results.

Jo

Archived