Viking China

2tsquared

I haven't seen any recent posts re manicures, pedicures, and massages on the river cruise. Did any of the ladies on this board partake in any of these services? Would you recommend them or skip them?

D & D

DH & I had massages in Guilin and on the ship........they were wonderful and so cheap.

I also had a manicure on the ship.....I was satisfied for the price. They didn't offer pedicures.

Safe and happy travels to you both. What ship and what are the dates you'll be gone?

What does anyone think of my husband buying a sport jacket in Hong Kong instead of packing one? Any suggestions where to buy one? Or to have it made? Just how dressy are the good restaurants in Hong Kong?

Back in the day, my uncle-in-law had a suit made in two days. I imagine there are still tailor shops that do that -- what a souvenier that would be!

We went in July-August from Beijing to Shanghai and could discern no difference in temperature once we were on the river, not even at night. I took a lightweight shawl that I used onboard occasionally in the dining room and enclosed observation deck where programs are held.

By all means, treat yourself to a Chinese foot massage! It was a wonderful experience and not expensive. I scheduled mine late in the evening and slept blissfully. Others in my group had nail treatments and massages and were pleased with the results.

Jo

Thanks, Jo. The foot massage sounds heavenly and I have a feeling it may be just thing at that point along the trip. And, late, sounds good because I won't be missing any of the scenery! The foot massage is probably cheaper than a glass of wine on the ship!

I read a lot and ready quite a few books in preparation for this trip:

1) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) - interesting to learn about the ancient customs

2) Mao's Last Dancer (Li Cunxin) - great descriptions of peasant family life

3) Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (Jack Weatherford) - Not directly related to this trip, but very interesting information about these former rulers of China.

4) Wild Swans (Jung Chang) - 3 generations of women face the changes in China (got a little tired of this one)

5) The Forbidden City (Frank Dorn) - tells what each room/area in the Forbidden City was used for, and tells stories of what happened.

6) Mr. China (Tim Clissold) - outsider trying to do business in China

7) River Town Two Years on the Yangtze (Peter Hessler) - loved the descriptions of small town life and the students.

8) Oracle Bones (Peter Hessler) - a continuation of River Town that describes Chinese society.

9) Sons of Heaven (Terrence Cheng) - a novel about two brothers on different sides of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations

10) Escape from China (Zhang Boli) - first person account of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations and his life afterwards.

11) Heaven Lake (John Dalton) - takes place in Taiwan and NW China.

12) Forever Lily (Beth Nonte Russell) - adoption of a Chinese baby

13) The Teachings of Confucius - still reading; having a hard time with this one.

Thanks for sharing your reading list. We've been able to do very little advance reading -- not as much as is typical for us. I'm envious (and hope to get to many of the above listed when we return). Safe journey to you both!

Another bridge collapse . . .I don't believe it affects any Viking travelers but it is interesting to note since there is so much construction going on in China as they gear up for the Olympics. I looked at several different versions of the story including the China Daily.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/14/asia/AS-GEN-China-Bridge-Collapse.php

Having just returned, Felicia, I'm happy to answer.

1. Yes, you tip the local guides in US currency. If you can, try to get crisp, new $1 bills---or any US currency for that matter. Our guide told us that the Chinese have problems trying to use any US currency that is worn or tattered. I had one vendor who refused a slightly torn $20.

2. You can add the tip to your shipboard account (remember, no traveler's checks or Diner's Club accepted). We also gave some specific crew who had been especially helpful an additional tip. Envelopes are provided.

3. Three hundred ones should be more than enough. My husband and I took two hundred and came home with about 20. Every day you will find two bottles of water free in your hotel room or cabin so you may not need to purchase much water; we didn't buy much on the bus, but the cost is definitely nominal.

Take a fan! I took one of my old "Chinese" fans, and it surely came in handy.

Jo

Thanks, Jo. Only 4 weeks left, so I'm getting to the nuts & bolts of things to do.

Felicia

Thanks, Jo. Only 4 weeks left, so I'm getting to the nuts & bolts of things to do.

Felicia

We take off for Shanghai via Bangkok tomorrow pm,our cruise starts on Victoria Prince on Sunday 26th Aug.

Love shopping in Shanghai!

We shall be using aussie dollars on board and for tips,love the sound of massages.

Shall drop a note in after 14th Sept.

haggar:)

We are taking the Imperial Jewels trip on Oct. 7th. Anyone going yet?

My wife would like to buy an Akoya Pearl necklace while we are there.

Are the prices a lot better than here? Where can we buy that we can feel assured that we are buying from a very reputable dealer and getting exactly what is being represented.

Thanks

We are taking the Imperial Jewels trip on Oct. 7th. Anyone going yet?

My wife would like to buy an Akoya Pearl necklace while we are there.

Are the prices a lot better than here? Where can we buy that we can feel assured that we are buying from a very reputable dealer and getting exactly what is being represented.

Thanks

Does Viking have certain stores they will stand behind, such as one might find on larger tours, for jewelry I mean? What comes to mind on the larger cruise ships is Diamonds Int'l.

Felicia

Is it safe to eat the salads on the ship or in the hotels? I know Viking is going to be very cautious about the foods they recommend or serve; however, if the raw vegetables are washed prior to serving, isn't this the same as consuming the water straight from the tap? :confused:

Felicia

Is it safe to eat the salads on the ship or in the hotels? I know Viking is going to be very cautious about the foods they recommend or serve; however, if the raw vegetables are washed prior to serving, isn't this the same as consuming the water straight from the tap? :confused:

Felicia

It's safe to eat or drink anything in the dining rooms on the ship or in the hotels. The staffs are scrupulous! You'll find, however, that lettuce isn't often used as a salad ingredient, but on the ship on the buffet a time or two there were two kinds available. The danger in your becoming ill isn't going to come from food on the ship or in the hotel. Sanitize your hands religiously and drink the bottled water---you'll be safe.

Jo :)

It's safe to eat or drink anything in the dining rooms on the ship or in the hotels. The staffs are scrupulous! You'll find, however, that lettuce isn't often used as a salad ingredient, but on the ship on the buffet a time or two there were two kinds available. The danger in your becoming ill isn't going to come from food on the ship or in the hotel. Sanitize your hands religiously and drink the bottled water---you'll be safe.

Jo :)

Thanks, Jo. I'm a controller for restaurants, so I'm going to grab a lot of the wet naps before I leave, plus I've got 2 kinds of hand sanitizer.

Felicia

Thanks, Jo. I'm a controller for restaurants, so I'm going to grab a lot of the wet naps before I leave, plus I've got 2 kinds of hand sanitizer.

Felicia

Felicia,

The ship has hand sanitzers at the dining room entrance. Also, every meal at restaurants Viking arranged for on tours, provided sealed wet naps served with tableware.

We took about 40 sanitizer hand wipes with us however, needed fewer than anticipated thanks to Viking's attention to details.

Jerry

Felicia

Hi!

When I was a child we moved to central Mexico. We could not the drink tap water. We soaked all our fruits and vegetables in an iodine solution to kill any bacteria on them. I am sure they have a similar procedure in China for raw fruits and vegetables.

We leave for Shanghai on a Imperial Jewels Tour on Saturday, and are very excited!

Hi!

We leave for Shanghai on a Imperial Jewels Tour on Saturday, and are very excited!

I'm excited for you. I think you'll be back just a day or two before I leave! I hope you have a chance to jot just a quick note on here to talk about your trip before I leave. Felicia

We will be back home on Sept. 5th. If we have a chance, we will try and post something when we get to Beijing. We started taking Echinacea today in preperation for our flight. Happy packing to you, George and Peggy

George and Peggy--

I'm on the same trip as Felicia. I'd love to hear your impressions of the Yangtze (the flooding they've been experiencing and its impact on your journey, if at all) and the weather in the evenings along the river. We leave Minneapolis/St. Paul on Saturday, September 15.

Stay safe and don't eat the "birds on a stick."

D & D

Hi!

When I was a child we moved to central Mexico. We could not the drink tap water. We soaked all our fruits and vegetables in an iodine solution to kill any bacteria on them. I am sure they have a similar procedure in China for raw fruits and vegetables.

cuatsea - On our Viking 4/07 Cultural Delights cruise we were told that all produce was washed in the same bottled water given to us each day. We had a generally healthy group and only got some respiratory problems at the end in Hong Kong.

One exception is the Li river cruise in Guilin. Our guides cautioned us to only eat cooked food (they wash the produce in the river at the back end of the boat).

Another caution is silverware outside of that provided in boats & hotels. Luke warm water doesn't kill enough bacteria so you may want to get some boiling water for tea which you will really pour onto your utensils if youeat on the street.

WIT

Hello everyone. We have less than 3 weeks before we leave. George and Peggy, we'll be leaving before you get back, so happy travels. Our friends have received their final packets, and we expect ours tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for their helpful comments. The weather seems to be staying very warm, so we're trying to prepare, but it's been in the 3 digits here in St. Louis, so it won't be a shock.

I found a canvas duffle at Wal Mart that came in a case (also canvas). It's very small and compact, but opens to 28". We plan to pack it and make it our extra bag when we head home with treasures. We're going to Hong Kong first, and ending in Beijing, so I expect we'll be lugging stuff. Otherwise we're traveling light.

Jerry, I've been using my panasonic digital and I'm very pleased with it. I'm still referring to my book a lot, though and that worries me. Don't want to miss THE picture. I'm bringing 6 one gig cards and 2 512 cards. I'm also bringing a card reader and cd's. I will keep a journal also. Can't wait, but feel prepared. Marian

ust

Jerry, I've been using my panasonic digital and I'm very pleased with it. I'm still referring to my book a lot, though and that worries me. Don't want to miss THE picture. I'm bringing 6 one gig cards and 2 512 cards. I'm also bringing a card reader and cd's. I will keep a journal also. Can't wait, but feel prepared. Marian

Marian - Which Panasonic did you get? I loved my TZ-1 in China. You can set the camera to take 2-3 pics/second, so your odds of getting THE PHOTO go way up. I found the SPORTS setting very helpful given enough light.

WIT

I just started checking these cruises. We just returned from the Greek Isles and we booked the same China Viking trip for next Summer. Our second viking trip. Also starting in Hong Kong. Best of luck on your trip. I'd like to ask you questions when you return.

I found a canvas duffle at Wal Mart that came in a case (also canvas). It's very small and compact, but opens to 28". We plan to pack it and make it our extra bag when we head home with treasures. We're going to Hong Kong first, and ending in Beijing, so I expect we'll be lugging stuff. Otherwise we're traveling light.

This is a good idea, Marian. I always take a smaller folding duffle and it is perfect for odd-shaped and bulky but not fragile items--like dirty laundry! You can check 2 pieces each on your return flights to the States, too.

We were on the 8/25/06 Cultural Delights tour, Beijing-Shanghai with Guilin-HK extension. We took 26", 24", and 21" rolling suitcases, all checked, and had no issues. Our guide told us that if our group was overweight, he'd charge us, but it never happened--even on the Guilin-HK leg. (Benefits of having the right guide! Other groups were charged.) I figured we could carry on the smallest one if necessary and used that for most of our gifts.

Also, some of the best gift shopping is at the Great Wall in Beijing. You basically see the same stuff everywhere at the major shopping bazaars--Yu Gardens, Great Wall, etc. So you don't have to load up early in the trip.

As others have said, however, if you see the color/size/style you like, buy it! You might not find that exact item again onl y similar ones.

You may want to take the book along, or copy some key pages. I learned this the hard way on my Viking trip to Russia, when I had to change photo size settings and it took me forever to figure out how to do it. (This was in the days of smaller memory cards, though, and I wasn't prepared with an adequate suppply.:() You'll be more than fine. While it's unllikely that you wil lhave a card fail, as I did, you can use a separate card for each major part of your trip and not risk losing all your pics. If you can backup regularly to CD, no need.

If you know the basic settings and such, you will probably be OK.

Have a fabulous time! :D Having read these boards, you are indeed prepared!

Archived