Brazil and Uruguay ports of call DIY

twopizz

We would really appreciate your insights and experiences regarding DIY on the ports of call we will have in our next cruise.

We just like to browse around and relax. We are 4 adults and a 3yo child.

Brazil:

Búzios

Ilha Grande

Ilhabella

Santos

Uruguay:

Punta del Este

Montevideo

Thank you very much in advance!

Those Brazilian destinations are all beaches. Buzios has a village to stroll. Ilha Grande has hiking or boats to further beaches on the island from rustic Abrao village. Ilhabela is very upscale, expensive. Santos is one of the closest beaches to huge São Paulo, and has some tourist infrastructure but not really sights to see. You won't miss anything significant if you DIY at any or all of these.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thank you Vida! We would love to just go to the beach, and stroll the villages, do you know by chance if the beaches, village, etc. are easily reachable from the piers or should we need the tours to get to them? Thanks a lot!

Thank you Vida! We would love to just go to the beach, and stroll the villages, do you know by chance if the beaches, village, etc. are easily reachable from the piers or should we need the tours to get to them? Thanks a lot!

I don't know where the piers are in those ports. I think Ilha Grande is a tender port, into Abrao village. from where you can walk or boat to the beaches. The others besides Santos might be tender ports too. I'm pretty sure Buzios and Ilhabela don't have a pier that could accommodate a cruise ship. Taxis should be readily available if not being ferried directly into a village.

As I mentioned, I really don't think there's much to "tour", or that the presence of a tour guide would clarify any local history/culture to such an extent to justify the cost. IMO you can probably get just as much from wandering around yourselves. If you want to see some of the further beaches on Ilha Grande, you might want to take a boat rather than walk, but I would not refer to that as a "tour" really.

Thank you Vida! Yes, I agree with you. When you read at the ship's tours descriptions basically they said it will be a boat to show you around the beaches.

We rather to DIY, I will try to find out if there are any review on the ports in TripAdvisor from previous cruisers regarding transportation.

Thanks once again!

Just FYI: Certain TA Brazil forum posters are not very reliable; one so-called destination expert gets his "info" from the internet, just as anyone else could, and has spent very little time in Brazil.

For reviews, I would read a lot of the poster's past posts to see if her/his taste is similar to you the reader/traveler.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 1 month later...

What cruise lines offers cruises from US (any port) to Brazil and back to US? Whether it be San Paolo or Rio. I've searched and am finding nothing. I'd like to book something in 2019, 9-14+ days, if possible end of December. However, I'd be happy to learn what lines are recommended.

Appreciate your help.