Help a confused newbie out!

konahilo

We are looking to take a Carnival cruise in the Caribbean in late June 06. We don't necessarily have a prefernce about what part of the Caribbean, but it seems like there are so many choices and I am just looking for some feeback about your experiences in this region with this cruiseline. Pros & Cons are appreciated (for both the cruise line & ports). Also, how do you typically book your cruises? Through a travel agent or travel website, etc? Also, any suggestions about ways to look for a good travel agent?

Thanks for all your help!:)

Oh, wow, so many good questions!

I would find a good travel agent in the city where you live. If there is an agency that caters to cruisers, use that one. They are a wealth of information and can help you ask the right questions to make your decision.

Our first cruise was on Carnival and we had a fabulous time. It was just a more energetic atmosphere from the others.

I would check out the times in port to help decide, also. I don't like it when I don't have enough time in port to really enjoy myself without feeling rushed.

Have a marvelous cruise!

My impression is that if you are looking for a more active cruise (swimming with dolphins and sea lions, snorkling with stingrays, visiting old ruins) . . . go with the Western Caribbean. If you're into shopping and laying on beaches (not to say that the Western doesn't have tons of beaches) . . . anyway, a less active crusie would be to the Eastern Caribbean. Been on two Western Caribbean cruises (and one Southern cruise) . . . next April will be my first to the Eastern Caribbean and I'm having a real hard time time finding anything I really want to do. But then, I've never been to the Eastern Caribbean so . . . what do I know? :p

I have a review I wrote on the "members review" for the Carnival ship the Ecstasy..read it before you book.

We are looking to take a Carnival cruise in the Caribbean in late June 06. We don't necessarily have a prefernce about what part of the Caribbean, but it seems like there are so many choices and I am just looking for some feeback about your experiences in this region with this cruiseline. Pros & Cons are appreciated (for both the cruise line & ports). Also, how do you typically book your cruises? Through a travel agent or travel website, etc? Also, any suggestions about ways to look for a good travel agent?

Thanks for all your help!:)

Hi Kona. Have you considered calling the Carnival 800 number? You can do that, and ask for a PVP - Personal Vacation Planner. They can answer all your questions, and also book your cruise. The alternatives are, of course, a local TA or online agency.

My last six cruises have been booked directly through a Carnival PVP, actually the same one. I've rec'd some perks from her that I would never have known about otherwise. I can talk w/her up until the day of the cruise, and she's always there for me. I wish I could give you her name, but that's not allowed here at Cruise Critic.

Just do a lot of 'homework', both with agencies as well as here at CC. There are all kinds of little helpful hints to make your cruise both enjoyable and less expensive. You might also want to check out the Ports-of-Call forums on this board for info on the various ports. That might make your decision on which itinerary easier. Good luck.

We look at all the popular online travel discount sites, write down the specials and then call the cruise line direct as Cotton mentioned. Then we ask if they can reduce the price or upgrade us. ON both of the cruises we have taken they gave us good deals. Celebrity asked if we were celebrating something since we said it was our first cruise--our 25th anniversary. They invited us to a free anniversary party with champagne and cake! Carnival upgraded us 2 levels on the ship since we booked with them instead of taking an e-mail deal from another source.

Archived