Soda Price

linsue1231

HI guys,

Does anyone know how much they charge for a glass of soda on NCL Dawn? I am trying to figure out if it will be better to get the soda plan or not. The plan cost $5.75 a day and you must buy for the whole cruise....

Linda & Louie

HI guys,

Does anyone know how much they charge for a glass of soda on NCL Dawn? I am trying to figure out if it will be better to get the soda plan or not. The plan cost $5.75 a day and you must buy for the whole cruise....

Linda & Louie

Fountain soda (what you get with the soda card) 1.25 + 15%

Can 1.75 + 15%

Fountain soda (what you get with the soda card) 1.25 + 15%

Can 1.75 + 15%

At that rate. here's some math;

$1.75 x 15% = $0.2625

$1.75 + $0.26 = $2.01

$2.01 x 3 = $6.03

So, if you drank just 3 sodas a day, being mindful of the fact the glasses NCL serves sodas in are small and filled with ice, you're saving money with the soda card at $5.75 per day.

At that rate. here's some math;

$1.75 x 15% = $0.2625

$1.75 + $0.26 = $2.01

$2.01 x 3 = $6.03

So, if you drank just 3 sodas a day, being mindful of the fact the glasses NCL serves sodas in are small and filled with ice, you're saving money with the soda card at $5.75 per day.

Bad math - you don't get cans

1.25 X 1.15% = 1.44

5.75/1.44 = 4 sodas a day but only draft. Coke, Diet Coke, Ginger Ale , Sprite

Keep in mind you can pick up the soda of your choice in port:)

Thanks Guys.

Looks like it will be soda plan after all. Just one more thing I can get it on the ship or was I suppose to pre order it? LOL

Linda

You can get it onboard. They will have a table in the lobby when you board or from any bar later.

No problem bringing on your own water or soda. You can also bring it on at each port.

With the NCL soft drink program they give you an insulated mug. They also place a sticker on your room card, so you don't have to carry the mug around with you all the time.

I forgot to ask this one....can we bring a case of decafe soda onboard in NYC? We can only drink that.

You can bring anything onboard except liquor, beer and wine.

The question should be, do you really want to pack all those beverages around?

The one who usually wants to is usually not the one packing it!

For me, the soda card was a nobrainer. I drink quite a bit of Coke though. Especially when I was out by the pool, I'd go through 3 or 4 drinks in a few hours. The first time, when I didn't have a card, I was constantly thinking I'd wait or I shouldn't have one. I think if you are a big drinker it is definitely worth it.

Yes, you usually can bring wine on board. If you have followed the boards, sometimes they charge $10.00 per bottle, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they confiscate it too. It all depends on the people at the check-in area.

But if you do the math, even with the per bottle charge you can come out ahead. We are leaving this Sunday, Nov 13 on the Jewel and have 7 bottles with us. Even if they charge us the corkage fee will be many $'s ahead, rather than purchasing it at the onboard. Especially, since we are bringing wines they do not carry in thier cellars.

Thanks for the reply.... what if I pack the wine in my suitcase. Do they go through your bags looking for wine to confiscate????

Nope - they xray every bag for security - if they notice what looks like wine or spirits they may hold your bag so you can go thru it and remove the wine. They will hold the spirits until the end but give you the option of paying the $15 per bottle corkage fee,

No sense bringing inexpensive wine lots of 20-25 dollar wines onboard - it is intended to allow special wines. $15 on a $100 bottle of Dom no big deal. $15 on your favorite $10 Chard. not worth it.

NCL will go through your bags & confiscate your wine. They have one of the most thorough alcohol searches afloat. If you are squeamish about getting caught, don't do it. :o

Non-alcoholic beverages are fine. As for lugging them, buy them close to the port or at the ports of call & just slide them through the x-ray machines. No problem.

Thanks for the feedback! My bottles are only around $30 a piece... not worth the cork fee. Once you buy a bottle at dinner, are you allowed to bring the rest of the bottle back to your room that night?

Also, the soda card, can that be shared per couple? (ie have my BF grab two sodas off of one $5.75 per day card?)

Last ques, is the tap water on the ship fine to drink or should we stick to bottled water? And do they charge for getting tap water at the bar, or only bottled?

Do not buy the soda plan!!!

I canceled mine right away because I couldn't get one when I needed one, and the servings were tiny.

What they don't tell you is, iced-tea is complementary and self serve 24/7! If you can live with iced-tea instead of Coke... save yourself the $40.25 and the frustration.

As for alcohol, they've got you by the 'short hairs'. Averaging just under $30/bottle of wine, at least $6 per mixed drink, and about $5 for a beer... drinking can be expesive.

I got one tip though while I was on board... some have suceeded in sneaking on wines that come in the box instead of a bottle. If you can manage to get one or two of those on, it'll save you a bundle.

--------------

Just back from NCL Sun, Oct. 30 2005

Once you buy a bottle at dinner, are you allowed to bring the rest of the bottle back to your room that night?

Also, the soda card, can that be shared per couple? (ie have my BF grab two sodas off of one $5.75 per day card?)

Last ques, is the tap water on the ship fine to drink or should we stick to bottled water? And do they charge for getting tap water at the bar, or only bottled?

Once you buy the bottle you can take it with you. I once took a bottle of champagne on deck. They even gave me the ice bucket.

No, you should not share the soda card. It's considered stealing. They will only give you one soda at a time for that reason.

Tap water is fine. Bottled water is for sale on the ship & is expensive ~ $3.50 per bottle. :eek: You can go to the beverage station at the buffet & get water. I bring a bottle or two to travel & refill it during the trip. I also bring an insulated mug & fill that with ice & my favorite beverage at the buffet for sitting by the pool; their glasses aren't very large & you have to get up too often otherwise. IMO, if you get water from a bartender, you should tip that person b/c it took time out for them so they couldn't serve a paying / tipping customer. I promise the $1 you throw them for water will get you much faster service when you want an adult beverage later. ;)

No, you should not share the soda card. It's considered stealing. They will only give you one soda at a time for that reason.

From my travels, I've noticed that sharing a soda card with another passenger can be quite easy. Passengers just go to one bar to get a drink, and then to another bar for a second one. The crew just looks for the stamp and not the name. And, depending on the cruiseline, I've also noticed that most bartenders won't scoff or even raise an eyebrow if someone were to request two softdrinks at the same. That being said, this practice is not recommended as it would be a shame for someone from the crew to get into trouble. Therefore, if you don't mind sharing your soda (as opposed to the card) with your spouse, or significant other, this would be the easiest way to do it.

Archived