Dumb question: What is a tendered port?

Nay Nay

I have seen the term a couple times and feel like such an idiot that I don't know. Could someone enlighten me, please?

TIA!

A tendered port is a port where the ship does not dock. It will anchor offshore.

To get you ashore, they will put you in a tender (small boat) and take you ashore to a smaller dock.

Well, you have your hard ports and you have your tender ports.

There are no dumb questions, including this one.

Actually, the ship either docks (you walk off the ship and you are on land) or the ship anchors in the bay and you board a life boat sized boat which takes you to a smaller dock on the shore. Sometimes ships tender because the port does not have any docks that can handle a ship the size of a cruise ship. Other times you tender because there is no room at the dock for your ship.

Tendering adds about 20 - 30 minutes to a round trip, which means 30 minutes less time in port if you have to tender. The ships themselves have special tender docks built into the side of the ship. The tender boats are special life boats. If there are 9 - 12 life boats on each side of the ship, look for the 2 - 3 that are different. Those are the tender boats.

Tender ports are subject to weather. Big waves makes it too dangerous to board the tender boats.

We have tendered in different types of boats not just lifeboats. usually they are very large boats too. You do not have to climb a ladder, you will have an opening (dont know what term to use) approximately the deck 1 or the crew deck where you will walk out onto a platform to board the boat. My MIL has Parkinsons and it has been interesting a couple of times with the boat riding the waves but the crew are great at helping you on and off the ship and into the boat.

We tendered in Belize. This is a picture of the dock in Belize taken from the tender I was on with some other tenders pulled up to the dock.

http://www.suzilem.com/elation/belizedock.jpg

This is a picture of the little stairway extending out of the side of the Elation (Fantasy class ship) that the tenders pull up to. This boat wasn't a tender, instead it was a pilot boat in Cozumel that shuttled a pair of passengers that "missed the boat" out to us about a mile off shore.

http://www.suzilem.com/elation/missedship.jpg

I'm glad you guys answered this question. It isn't coming up in my cruise, but I thought for some reason that it meant you had to pay to disembark in the port (tender, as in money). I had no idea a tender was a type of boat.

I'm learning more every day on this site.:)

Archived