Traveling with a 16 month old-questions

itzelm

HI,

My husband and I will be arriving in Roatan with our 16 month old daugher. We arrive on Nov. 23 or 24 on the Norwegian Sun. I have several questions for the locals and tourists that have been there.

1) My husband will be diving in the morning with Subway Watersports. In the meantime, I'd like to do some stuff with my daughter.

HEre are the options

--10am Dolphin show. But I've heard I can only book this through the cruise. and they are charging 100 dollars for an adult. I don't want the dolphin encounter. I only want to see the show. Has anyone seen it and how did you book it? how much did it cost?

If I can't see the dolphin show, the iguana farm might be an option. but I don't know if it ok for a 16 month old. I don't want to be walking in the sun all day. Any ideas?

--go to the beach with my daughter. I need a beach with a hotel nearby (a hotel that offers day passes for cruise ship passengers would be ideal). I need to have access to shade, bathrooms, food, etc. in case I need something for my daughter. Plus, she needs a place to take an afternoon nap. Any ideas on hotels that offer day passes?

--see the Garifuna people. Is there a place were we can see Garifuna dances or see the people?

--visit a museum. I would love to do this but I know it might not be possible with a 16 month old. My great grandmother was from Roatan and I'd like to learn more about the place.

I'm thinking that my best option might be to hire a taxi. Any recommended taxi drivers? I'm not too concerned about language and "not fitting in". I come from a Latin country myself. I'm fluent in both English and Spanish and know how you must "negotiate" to get the best deals.

Thanks very much.

My suggestions are as a mother who lives here with a little boy who will be 2 in February.

If your husband is at Subway, I would hire a cab. The weather hasn't been at it's best recently, and I would hate for you to be stuck with a beach excursion. If you get a driver like Juan Carlos (who has been mentioned many times) I would go to Yubu - the Garifuna Experience, stop have something to eat and drink at the View, then head to the Iguana Farm, then maybe get in touch with Palmetto Plantation, who have a lovely pool and a nice quiet beach. The owners of Palmetto also have a little girl who may be a little younger if not the same age as your daughter. All these activities are East of the Cruise Ship dock and East of Subway (Yubu being the furthest East and working back). If you're ready to head back to the ship, the driver can take you to Subway and let your husband know.

Just some suggestions.

Best regards,

Island Dweller

Thanks so much.

That is exactly what I was thinking. A taxi is the best. I am from Panama and we have the same weather. November is still the rainy season and I know that the weather at this time of the year can be good and bad on the same day. I tried to contact Victor Bodden but he is busy for the day. Who is Juan Carlos?

The guy at Subway Sports offered to drop me off at Palmetto but he said that the repairs (due to Wilma) will not be ready by the time I get there so I can't go to Palmetto.

I'll keep researching.

Be cautious... this is the rainy season in Roatan, which means an excess of mosquitos and bugs, from what we were told last week by our tour guide. Your infant will be more susceptible to disease, so make sure you coat them with a protectant acceptable for an infant.. deet is recommended for adults, but i know that it is not good for infants. Just make sure you find something and protect your child from anything they could pick up.

Great advice on Bug repellent. I have a 20 month old little boy. When he was a little baby I used a product called Cactus Juice (I still do most days because it has SPF 20 also). But now he's a little older I use Skintastic. For little babies, I also advise bringing a Mozzie net for your stroller or baby carrier, I used mine a lot, and my son still sleeps under one at night.

Island Dweller

Thanks for all the fantastic ideas. I am loading up with the bug repellant, sun protector for my baby. My pediatrician said we could use deet products on our baby. But only if needed and to be VERY carful about not putting it in her mouth.

Island dweller, thanks for your fantastic ideas.

I ended up contacting a local taxi driver for a customized tour. This is what the person is offering to do for $100. Is this a reasonable price?

pick up at the boat

Drive through coxen hole

Go see the dolphin show at 10:00

west end tour

beach

boat to pick up your husband

lunch local food.

east end tour

iguana farm

drop off at ship

thanks. I am thinking that i might request a shorter tour. but I am still thinking about it.

Archived