Sovereign & Orlando anyone...

I have never tried doing a cruise and visiting a theme park in Orlando in the same trip. However, I have been to the major Orlando theme parks a number of times. Have you been to the parks before?

I would say that if you have not been to the parks before, the best theme park for a single day trip is probably Universal's Islands of Adventure. This (or Universal Studios itself, but I like Islands of Adventure MUCH better) is just the right size to accomplish the park in a day. I like the Disney theme parks much better than the Universal theme parks, but they are enormous and Disney is much better just as a vacation destination unto itself (or as a land/sea package with Disney Cruise Line).

Hope this helps.

We were on the Sovereign of the Seas Oct. 10th this year. We flew in a day early (Saturday) and went deep sea fishing with Orlando Princess on Sunday. The cruise (left Monday) went to CoCo Cay (private island) and Nassau with a sea day on the way back. We got into Orlando early afternoon Friday , dropped our stuff off at the motel and took the shuttle over to Epcot. We spent all afternoon wandering around and caught the fireworks show at 9 pm. After falling into bed and a very short night, we got up early and hit the Animal Kingdom park until the 2:30 pm shuttle back to the motel. They had a 3:20 pm shuttle to the airport so we could catch our 6 pm flight back home. It was a busy week but pretty fun. I would not recommend trying this with children but the Animal Kingdom park can easily be done in a short day.

We like to do the theme parks before the cruise and then unwind on the cruise, since the theme parks are definielty up ay dawn and go until late, if you want to get in as much as possible. We really like all the Disney theme parks. If you have small children I would recommend Magic kingdom. If you have never been to any then Magic Kingdom is the most popular, but all of them can be overwhelming your first visit. The water parks are both really great. We usually opt for Blizzard Beach, personal preference. We have gotten rooms on Disney property for as low as $49 per night at the All Stars. They are great rooms with 2 dble beds. We like to stay at Disney's Boardwalk, it is our favorite spot since has alot of nightlife, shops, restaurants and a short walk to Epcot. Anywhere on the property is clean and nice. There are lots of nice places off property also, but sometimes the prices on property are cheaper and much more convenient.

Sovereign is a nice ship. I think the rooms are the smallest I've ever had, but they are manageable. We had 4 people so we got 2 adj. rooms, that made it seem much bigger. It is definielty not like all the new mega ships with ice rinks etc..but a nice ship for the price. We had o/v on Deck 8, which we really liked. They have a nice Theater and Dining Rooms. The Sovereign was refurbished last year so all the decor has been updated. We like the 4 day itineary. The day in Nassau we rented a room so we could use Atlantis' facilities. It was well worth it to us to be able to go there and use all their pools and water slides etc. We had 2 teens with us and thought this was the best option for a full day there. We had perfect weather and they had a blast. I would recommend the Sovereign if you are not looking for brand new, mega.

If it is just for 2 try to get room 9028..one of the better SO. They have a soda card, I bought it for the 2 teens and it was about $20 for the 4 days. I think it's more for adults. Don't know if they have a card for adult beverages. We brought our own to have in our room. Had a wheelie bag with soda and bottled water.

Try to get 9028 for your parents and then a quad close to it :) I did not do a review, just kind of answer questions when people are looking for info on the Sovereign. I have also been on the Empress of the Seas, Disney Magic 2x, NCL and Princess. Been on Sovereign 3x in the past 2 years, I like to combine Disney for a few days and then a cruise so 4 or 5 days is perfect. We live in FL so it's easy to just kind of makes plans and go. Can always drive so we don't need to hassle w/ coordinating flights. Sovereign is old and shows some wear and tear, but she is still a beautiful ship and as long as you are not expecting brand new then I think you will also be happy with it. Of course CoCo Cay is great, I love having a day at a private island. Nassau used to be one of the ports I hated but now we like Atlantis so it makes Nassau a good port to us. The teens loved having a day at Sea to hang with their new found friends. So we all found something we liked..My DH says he'll go anywhere, just tell him what to pack and he's ready :)

Archived