Cave Tubing - WARNING!!!

Pinbyte

Just got back from Oct 30-Nov 6 2005 NCL Sun. Booked the 'Cave Tubing and Jungle Trek' excursion with the ship (I would have booked with Marvin or Yhony, but this was my first cruise and didn't want to go it on my own).

I was running a bit behind the rest of the group getting changed since I was the last one off of the bus. My wife was rushing me along and so I did not apply insect repellant as planned.

So, as you might have guessed by now, while hiking to the caves I GOT BIT by something! I did not know it at the time. Symptoms did not occur until I was already on the tube. I felt hot (whilst in cold water) and it felt like my lips were swelling.

It was surmised that I had an allergic reaction to a deer-fly bite. By the time the trip was over, my whole face and ears were swelled-up and I looked like Alfred E. Newman. I did not feel too well to say the least.

The tour guide, Roberto, was able to get me a couple of Benadryls at the resort. It was clear I was on my way to recovery shortly thereafter. Still, I wasn't completely normal for at least 24 hours.

Therefore, please heed the following advice:

1) PUT ON INSECT REPELLANT (even if they say it is not necessary).

2) BRING ALONG BENADRYL (dipenhydramine) whenever you're on-shore, you never know what you will be allergic to in foreign lands.

On another note... I was not impressed with the ship's shore excursion at $99. I am wishing that I would have booked with Marvin (belizecavetubing.com $60) or Yhony (cave-tubing.com $45).

BTW, don't let this scare you away from going cave tubing... I would do it again in a heartbeat (plus the time it takes to put on insect repellant).

Hi

I just booked no more then 5 minutes ago the cave tubing and aerial trek . I told DH just before I founf your post that we will want to have bug spray and an antihistimine . i hope you still had a good time , it looked like a pretty intesting tour . Where else did you go ? did you happen to go to Grand Cayman ? If so did you do the Stingray swim ?

Thank so much

Archived