Car Rental

Duanerice1

Just wanted to come back and report on our experience. Before we went we weren't sure if we wanted to rent a car so checked this board and all the car rental posts. Total cost was under $100 so it was less than 2 of us taking a tour.

All I can say it it was a piece of cake. Loved it. We rented from Voyager Rent-A-Car and they were great. Met us right at the port and picked the car up at the port.

When we arrived it took maybe 10 minutes to get the car checked out and on our way. We rented a small car but got AC and a GPS. Make sure you get the GPS! It saved us. You can just use the GPS map and scroll to where you want to go then touch the spot and it will give you directions so you don't need any addresses.

And yes, you drive on the other side of the road than I am used to but it was easy. The roads are very narrow but it really isn't an issue. We started up the West Coast and shopped, stopped at a beach, had some lunch then headed over to the West Coast. Totally different! Water is rough in the Atlantic but beautiful.

Eventually we came back to the East Coast and stopped at a beach to do a little swimming getting back to the pier around 4PM.

If in doubt I'd say go for it. We had a lot of fun just being on our own.

Edited by Duanerice1

Did you reserve your car before arriving to the port? Can I rent a car directly at the port when I arrive?

I reserved ahead of time.

There was a little car rental kiosk by the taxi's but I forget who it was. Not even sure if it was open or even operational. Otherwise I didn't see anyway to rent a car upon arrival. It's not like St Marten where they have a few agencies at the port.

From what I understand, most of the agencies will meet you at the pier with a car. Voyager had 4 cars going out that day so we weren't alone.

Of all the islands in the Caribbean, Barbados would be my pick to rent a car in. Though narrow by US standards, the roads are in great shape and are generally well marked.

We rented a moke there once and had a blast.

Great shape? Lol that's a good one. West side of the island kind of, East side..... let's just way I thought I was on 2 wheels a few times.... lol

We thought about renting a moke but glad we got a regular car instead. The AC was appreciated :)