Western Mediterranean boarding

pso418

We are taking the Epic this summer from Barcelona. Looking at the ship I also see that they Board people in Rome. Do they split the ship 50/50 getting on or is one port busier than the other. Also how is the port and Airport in Barcelona? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't answer the question about Rome- but Barcelona airport and port are both very straight forward. We booked a transfer with Sun Transfers, but you can also grab a taxi. Easy 20 minute drive to the port. Step out of taxi, hand luggage to porter, go inside the big glass building and check in! All very easy, you can't go wrong. Didn't notice if the port had any shops or anything as we got straight onto the ship.

On your way back, if you are going through Barcelona airport again, one tip is to go through security but don't go through passport control until it's time to go to the gate. The area in between them has a huge amount of shops and restaurants- but once you go through passport control there is nothing, and you can't go back!

Historically, the vast majority of people board in Barcelona, but the number who board in Rome appears to be increasing every year.

At a guess I'd say that 80-90% board in Barcelona. It is a proper turn around day, with a full muster drill (with everything closing down), whereas in Rome you could easily not even notice that people are embarking, other than seeing some bags in the corridors.

The port is reasonably close to the city, with a shuttle bus available to take you to the ship (it's not an easy walk with bags). The airport is quite a way out. There are various options to get into the city or port.

Edited by KeithJenner

We are taking the Epic this summer from Barcelona. Looking at the ship I also see that they Board people in Rome. Do they split the ship 50/50 getting on or is one port busier than the other. Also how is the port and Airport in Barcelona? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barcelona is THE port turnaround as previous relies suggest. We boarded in Marseille this last October, that really was low key ...I'd say well below 100 people. Muster Drill was in the Cavern & only used half the space!

Marseille dropped for 2017 & replaced with Palma in Mallorca ...That will be much nicer I think.

Airport is genuine international with all you would expect & the port is a proper port, nice area inside with shops before you go up to the boarding level. Though these were pricey I thought.

On your way back, if you are going through Barcelona airport again, one tip is to go through security but don't go through passport control until it's time to go to the gate. The area in between them has a huge amount of shops and restaurants- but once you go through passport control there is nothing, and you can't go back!

This is obviously dependent on the terminal, as my advice (based on terminal 1)would be completely the opposite.

Firstly, there are lots of food options near the gates that we use. There are shops, lounges, coffee shops and a McDonalds. Obviously that may not be the case for all areas.

Secondly, and most importantly, the passport control has always been extremely slow with long queues. This year there were many people who had waited until near boarding time to go through there and some missed their flights. It took us well over 30 minutes of queueing to get through. Every time I have flown out of Barcelona this has been a problem and I would always make sure I am in the queue at passport control at least 45 minutes before boarding.

Of all the airports I have ever flown from, Barcelona is consistently far worse than any other by a long way for this. My advice would be to get through passport control in plenty of time (and then a bit more)