Future cruise deposits

tiptopz

Not sure if that's the correct term for it but my question is;

When you go on board and they are selling you future cruise money (with some perks of course), can RCCL ones be used to book a Celebrity cruise as they are the same company or?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? Obviously I've never paid too much attention. Just noticed that I could get on board credit for future cruises if I booked while on board. I assumed it was future money.

What if I already have a cruise booked? I'd have to cancel and rebook?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really? Obviously I've never paid too much attention. Just noticed that I could get on board credit for future cruises if I booked while on board. I assumed it was future money.

What if I already have a cruise booked? I'd have to cancel and rebook?

Yes, you can get onboard credit for the future cruise, but I don't know the specifics of Celebrity's on board booking perks.

You would have to cancel the booked cruise and re-book onboard to get the perks.

That's true. I had an October 2017 already booked on Oasis and while on the Allure in November I checked the perks if I re-booked with "Next Cruise".

I had to fill out a form stating I was canceling the prior booked and then they booked me again. I got the $100 OBC and the booking was credited to my TA.

When I got home my TA moved that booking to her agency group booking. I kept the $100 OBC from "Next Cruise" and picked up another $75 OBC from the agency and got a lower per cabin fare under the TA group.

Win Win for me.

I also booked an OS while on board, which has now gone up almost $2000. I also got the same OBC deal for it from Next Cruise and my TA. The OS we didn't move into the TA group as the price I got from Next Cruise was better than my TA could do.

Bottom line is if you see something you like book it at Next Cruise. Don't take the instant OBC, which is equal to your deposit. If you cancel the booked cruise you loose the deposit. If you apply the OBC to the new cruise then your deposit is fully refundable or transferable under the normal refund policy.

Edited by jamesr3939

• 2 weeks later...

I am familiar with the process of losing the OBC if, when you reschedule a cruise, that deal is no longer being offered. Where I'm confused is, I just booked onboard, and they asked if I wanted to use my OBC now, or on the newly booked sailing. I took it now. So, if I change sailings and "lose" that OBC, what happens?

I am familiar with the process of losing the OBC if, when you reschedule a cruise, that deal is no longer being offered. Where I'm confused is, I just booked onboard, and they asked if I wanted to use my OBC now, or on the newly booked sailing. I took it now. So, if I change sailings and "lose" that OBC, what happens?

The OBC is already gone, you used it on the current cruise.

If you downgrade your future cruise, they can ask for more deposit, see the second bullet point:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50760283&postcount=55

We have booked on board, with both Royal Carribean and Celebrity. In both cases we have had to change the booked cruise. In each case, we have been able to transfer the deposit paid on board to another sailing, though there does seem to be a limit to the number of changes that can be made (and they mark your file accordingly). The OBC received at the time of the bookings was, of course, spent on the earlier cruises, so doesn't seem to factor into the equation.

We have even cancelled and rebooked a completely new cruise, and had the deposit refunded (after benefitting from the OBC, which was more or less equivalent to the deposit paid).

That's true. I had an October 2017 already booked on Oasis and while on the Allure in November I checked the perks if I re-booked with "Next Cruise".

I had to fill out a form stating I was canceling the prior booked and then they booked me again. I got the $100 OBC and the booking was credited to my TA.

When I got home my TA moved that booking to her agency group booking. I kept the $100 OBC from "Next Cruise" and picked up another $75 OBC from the agency and got a lower per cabin fare under the TA group.

Win Win for me.

I also booked an OS while on board, which has now gone up almost $2000. I also got the same OBC deal for it from Next Cruise and my TA. The OS we didn't move into the TA group as the price I got from Next Cruise was better than my TA could do.

Bottom line is if you see something you like book it at Next Cruise. Don't take the instant OBC, which is equal to your deposit. If you cancel the booked cruise you loose the deposit. If you apply the OBC to the new cruise then your deposit is fully refundable or transferable under the normal refund policy.

You're not really losing the deposit since you've already spent the OBC.