10/31/2005 Soveriegn of the Seas

What a disappointment from the reservation process(we had 10 rooms and had to go through "group") to the cruise itself. If you go with a group, refuse to use that part. The hold times when you call are up to an hour! If you try to leave a message for them to call you back, the phone disconnects and you start all over. This was a 4 night Bahamas cruise. The rooms were very small and slightly run down. The shower had lots of pressure, but the shower head would not stay on and had to be held all the time. The window on the 9th level was so tiny, I could not believe it. I had been on RCC before on the Mariner and thought we would get the same service and quality. The meals were at best average. No lobster was served on any of the 4 nights. We did have turkey and gravy, shrimp(cut in half) one night, sirloin steaks, etc. Just nothing out of the ordinary at all. We could have been eating better at home. The best part of the trip was the private island of Coco Cay. Except for waiting for the transport to the island; about 30 min. in a sweat filled room, the island was extremly nice including the beach BBQ. We snorkled quite a bit and enjoyed the beach. They do have a straw market of people they bring to set up booths for the day. No bargains here, but at least it was something to look at. The kids I think must have gravitated to the water park, there were very few on the beach. Nassau was just the same as the last time I was there. A few bargains if you want to walk away from the cruise ship. The day at sea was OK, they do have an adult pool right next to the other one. If kids got in and started splashing someone would send them to the other pool. Some of the chairs on the upper deck are very old and the strung kind, many around the main pool were broken, but were the cloth ones. There were a few very friendly staff, but many seemed discontented most of the time. Royal Caribbean could take lessons on pizza from Carnival. I would NOT go back on SOS, and my next cruise will be back on Carnival or maybe one of the newer RCC.:(

Oh that's too bad. I have been on SOS 3x and each time have really enjoyed it. We had o/v on Deck 8 and it was a nice big picture window. Our shower head flipped off one time on me and it was because I had not put it properly back when I had taken it off, once I snapped it back on it never came off again. The rooms are tiny, but manageable. Nassau is always the same but there are lots of good beaches and places to go while you are there. We rented a room at Comfort suites so we could use Atlantis facilities. It was awesome and we plan on going back to Atlantis for 4 nights soon. It's so funny about the deck chairs..I much prefer the strappy ones and went to the upper deck so I could lay on those. We enjoyed the food, anything is better than making it myself and I especially like the healthy choices and the desserts :) The teens love the teen club and hanging with the other kids. Well I hope next time you have better luck.

caribbean1900 - We were docked next to you in Nassau on Sat. on the Explorer. The Sovereign was our 1st cruise. We enjoyed seeing the balconies that were added & the rock wall. I don't remember a lot about the ship since we had a port everyday & didn't get to spend much time on the ship. It was also newer when we were on it in 1997. We enjoy the newer & larger RCI ships. The Radiance & Voyager class are nice ships.

Gail

Archived