Anthem of the seas, deck 12, balcony dividers - help!

We are looking cabins on deck 12 (assigned from guarantee), and found online that many cabin balconies on deck 12 have struts (I think this is the right term for the overhang supports). We don't mind the obstruction or the overhang, really. But we have a few cabins side by side, and was really hoping to open up the balcony dividers. In the pictures it looks like the struts restrict this.

Anyone know from experience - would really appreciate any advice. Our alternative is to just pick cabins more forward, where I don't believe there are struts.

Thank you!!!!

Finallyonboard could you tell me how the beds were on the Anthem. I have read many reviews that were negative about the beds saying they were too hard. I have a bad back and have a 9 day cruise planned in May on the Anthem. I had contacted special needs and they advised that all the Anthem beds have two bed toppers in them to make them soft. Could you give me some insight. I am a little concerned. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finallyonboard could you tell me how the beds were on the Anthem. I have read many reviews that were negative about the beds saying they were too hard. I have a bad back and have a 9 day cruise planned in May on the Anthem. I had contacted special needs and they advised that all the Anthem beds have two bed toppers in them to make them soft. Could you give me some insight. I am a little concerned. Thank you.

I was on 13th floor in a balcony room.

my back has never been straighter is what I would say.

Thank you Finallyonboard. That is my concern. I unfortunately cannot do hard beds due to my medical condition and am seriously worried about this.

We were am group of 5 couples and no one complained about the beds. I must agree they were firm, but that was not an issue for me. One of my friends has back issues and has been operated on and she never complained, but everyone is different. I can only relay our experiences. YMMV Have a great cruise!:)

• 1 month later...
do the balconies on 12 'officially' open or does RCI intend for them to open? I just ask because on NCL its officially a no no but if you bring along the right tool you can open them

They are able to be opened by the stateroom attendant, pending approval by ship's management.

do the balconies on 12 'officially' open or does RCI intend for them to open? I just ask because on NCL its officially a no no but if you bring along the right tool you can open them

We and friends had connecting cabins 12674 and 12676 recently on Anthem and the balconies had the support strut between them. It was the inwards, one against cabin wall, panel that could be opened.

That panel partially shows on the left side in the first shot below and key hole for the locking bolt is indicated by arrow.

On the other side where there wasn't a support strut it was the outside panel that opened as would be found on the other decks. that's the second shot below with again the bolt hole indicated by the arrow.

We were allowed to have our inward panel opened but found that there wasn't a latch to secure it in the open position so we would lock it ourselves using the small multi-tool in the third shot below. Note the T configuration shown that worked well in using the jaws as the key in the 3/8 inch square key hole to open and close the locking bolt. When opened we used a lounge to secure the door in place but if it was very windy an empty lounge wasn't heavy enough for this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=403487&d=1486763240

attachment.php?attachmentid=403488&d=1486763240

attachment.php?attachmentid=403489&d=1486763240

1427458289_P1212884(2).jpg.05fe0a90eded464d9a31cf742768e0be.jpg

1506161316_P1142706(2).jpg.c01a98dbb7f788f0abd1322ed72695d3.jpg

DSCF0324.jpg.2ca9a216a5dc96ca1a9cecc22afb92fe.jpg

• 2 months later...