Need Gloves, Hat for Glacier landings this time of year?

cydspal

We leave in a few days, anyone back within the past few weeks or this time of year with an opinion on how much clothing (I know: Layer, layer..) is needed for a glacier landing / dogsledd run? I can get the city weather updates, but not whats going on up on the glacier!! Thanks!

Don't forget, To us down here in sunny Florida, you are going to feel the cold a lot worse than someone from up north!! Our blood is VERY thin!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Hats & gloves take up very little room. On an Alaska cruise, I'd pack them "just in case" -- the same as the seasickness rememdies.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002
Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

I say yes to the hat and gloves. When we were on the ship to Alaska and went through glacier sailing I absolutely froze to death. Obviously when you are in glaciers you are going to be cold. Take the hat and gloves.

Marilyn

The first time was in July and our last week was in Sept. Even though we were on the ship sailing in Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier we were cold even on the deck. So if you take a dog sled ride, please take the hat and gloves. Mighty cold. Have a nice time in Alaska. You will love it. We plan to go next year again but waiting until the prices go down. Right now they are a little high.

Marilyn

[B]Cydspal-[/B]Keep in mind that you will be standing in the middle of an ice field, not just one glacier. The prevailing winds inland are blowing over the mountains [B]from the rest of the ice field.[/B] Besides the wind and ice the air is laden with moister, and as I am sure you know makes it feel a lot colder. We were there in June, and our watch caps and gloves were a very welcome addition.[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/2/nervous.gif[/img]

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=42110339&p=3"]Grandeur 11/13/04 FantaSea Cruise click here[/url]

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=76210354&p=2"]Grand Princess-11/27/2004-Click Here[/url]

JOHN MENDENHALL

I was thinking of buying the special undergarments from LL Bean that is supposed to wick away moisture and keep you warm. It's lightweight so it can be worn under jeans without being bulky. But, it's not on the cheap side and I'd hate to buy it if it wouldn't help. Has anyone else used these??

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;07;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Alaska Bound on the Sapphire Princess

I would not buy the LL Bean items. When on ship viewing glaciers you can always go back inside if you get cold; so they are not needed. Landing on a glacier you are not there long so I did not get cold; cool maybe. 90% of heat is lost through the head so wear a knit hat. If you know your hands get cold bring gloves to wear. Then either sweatshirts, sweater and a coat or a heavy parka. To cut the wind if you have a pair of rain pants wear over the jeans. They don't add warmth but will cut down on the wind.

cydspal,

You are correct bring layers. We were in Alaska August 2002. In Juneau it ws a gorgeous 75 degrees but we were headed on a helicopter ride and landing on a glacier. They provided special boots and we brought our own jackets, gloves and hats. I was gld to have it even though it was only 30 minutes on the glacier. The more you move around the warmer it will be. Skagway ws to coldest of all, seemed to be quite windy. We wore jackets except during the hike where I just got warm from the walking but thank goodness for the girl scout training I was able to comfortably able to remove a couple of layers until I was chilly and then put them back on. In Ketichikan we were fine with a tshirt and flannel on top, no gloves.

We had a balcony room and really appreciated it when we cruised the glaciers because we were able to sit in our room or on our deck and not have to fight for available open space on the public decks.

Bring it all you can always send it to the laundry!

Archived