Any feedback on the Kids programs on Diamond?

cydspal

We are on her now, checked out the kids program and have pics I can email you when I get back from the cruise, my email is the same as this screenname plus @aol.com

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

I would love to hear, too! Please post something when you return.

And enjoy your cruise! I am sorry for all the hassle at the beginning!

RCCI Legend of the Seas to Alaska 8/02

NCL Star to Hawaii 04/04

Will be taking a 9 year old, and 11 year old. Actually because of the way their birthdays fall they are only a little more then one year apart. We would like them to be in the same kids program group, rather then seperated. Hoping this will not be a problem. We will be on the Princess Diamond in September.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

We were on the Diamond last month (to the Mexican Riviera) with our extended family, which included 7 children. It must be noted that this was an especially "kid heavy" cruise, with over 700 children onboard. The kids program received mixed reviews from our kids. They were absolutely rigid with regards to the age separations. As a result, our 9 year old, who was really looking forward to the "preteen group" she saw on our previous trip on the Star Princess (ages 9-12), was very disappointed to find that the corresponding Diamond group is ages 10-13. She did not have much fun in the 6-9 year old group, and felt the activities were too "babyish" for her. However, our 6 year old daughter, and 8 year old nephew LOVED the program, and were always asking to go. Similarly, our 5 year old nephew felt too old for the 3-5 group, but our 4 year old nephew loved it.

I think if they would just let the kids pick the group where they felt the most comfortable (within reason), and stayed with that group throughout the cruise, it would all even out in the end. We sat next to a family at dinner with three sons, ages 3,5, and 6...and the older boy would have loved to be in the littlier group with his brothers, so it works both ways.

So, what are the age groups? And does anyone have a review on what they do activity-wise?

Srphnx: Thanks for the offer of the pics, but when you get off, we get on!! Have fun!!

Diamond age groups as of 4/10/04:

3-5 Fun Zone

6-9 Princess Pelicans

10-13 Princess Pirateers

14-17 Off Limits

All the usual activities: T-shirt coloring, bingo, movie nights, pizza night, ice cream parties, disco night, arts and crafts, marine wildlife lecture (where they get a stuffed animal), video games, etc.

If there a low number of kids on a cruise is Princess as rigid with the kids' ages? My son will be just shy of his 10th birthday when we are on the Diamond next April 2005 and would be very bored with the 6-9 group.

Bobbie

Days until our next cruise - Diamond Princess - April 23, 2005 !!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2005;4;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Cruises so far:

Norwegian Dawn - April 2004

Norwegian Dawn - April 2003

We were on Diamond last month with our 2 daughters age 5.5, and friend's daughter age 3.5. All of them were in the 3-5 group. I felt the activities were catered to the younger kids in the group (seems to be the case in every age group). Generally, the kids liked the program. In my opinion it was ok, but not overly impressive. I was very impressed with the RCCL kids program and their staff on Monarch last year. So I expected at least the same level from Princess, and it happened to be less. Maybe it was due to the ship and staff being new. Most kids were in the program at night 7-10, and the main activity EVERY night was watching a movie for 1.5-2 hours out of 3. Don't get me wrong, it is mostly a good program, and the facilities are outstanding, but I've seen better.

I trully think that the kids program was the least impressive feature of the Diamond. Everything else was very good and we all had a great time.

When you check your child in do they already have your childs age? Our 9 year old will be just two months shy of 10. His cousin will have turned 11 the month of our cruise. The nine year is big for his age and would have nothing in commom with 6 and 7 year olds. Because the cousins' rarely get to see each other, we would really like for them to get to stay together. Could it be that when the ship is full of kids they are strict about the age groups and when less full, they become more flexible? Since we are going late September, I do not think there will be a lot of kids.

Carol

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Yes, they have lists of all kids with their ages (from immigration info). I have never been on Princess when they did allow kids to change to a different age group, but I have read on these boards that it does happen. Good luck!

My grandson will be 3 months shy of his

10th birthday when we go on our cruise. He

is tall for his age and I know would feel more

comfortable in the older group. I hope they

will be flexible on this.

Archived