Transportation from London to Southampton

regg1216

We used the International Friends transfer from Southampton to London that includes stops at Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury and as we were the last to be dropped off, we had a narrated driving tour of London too.

It also offers transfers directly to Southampton and one with a stop at Stonehenge.

Senior citizen rates too!

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/

Viatour offers this too--but I think it was cheaper to book directly with the tour provider, International Friends.

As Patricia's reply it's run by International Friends, a well-respected coach operator.

But it's actually a shade cheaper than the operators website if you book through http://www.londontoolkit.com

If your date is on or near 21st, do check whether Stonehenge will be open - it's closed for the summer solstice and a day or two either side

JB :)

My flight arrives London Heathrow terminal 2 at 9 PM on Sunday in September, and my cruise on NCL embark from Southampton Monday afternoon.

1.What is the best option for 2 adults with just carry on luggage, to travel to Southampton at that late hour?

National Express has late direct bus that arrives Southampton Coach station after midnight-1 AM.

How difficult is it for us to get transport or walk to Premier Inn/Holiday Inn Express in Southampton at that late hour? Safety concerns?

2. If I stay overnight Sunday upon arrival in a Heathrow Bath Rd. hotel,

Is getting to the Ibis Hotel from the airport at that late hour also a problem

with the free public buses/Hopper buses?

Next morning I will have to reverse the process to get to the National Express

Coach Station, for the bus to Southampton at 6:30 or 8 AM .

The one way national Express coach ticket seems to be 25 GBP per person.

My thinking is that it may be just simpler to stay at the Holiday Inn Express overnight in Southampton, to avoid any possible transportation problems on Monday morning.

Any suggestions on the best option is appreciated.

Vic.

Hi, Vic

Most important - not Holiday Inn EXPRESS. There are two, and both are near the city limits.

Choose Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker. Avenue) which is at the port gate (Gate 8) for NCLs City Cruise Terminal. Just a 15 min walk from the coach station & a 300 yard walk to your ship next day.

Or Premier Inn WEST QUAY, a 10 min walk from the coach station, ditto to the cruise terminal (by cutting thru the Hol Inn parking lot)

Or Grand Harbour Hotel or Pig-in-the-Wall (15 mins & 10 mins) or Ennios (20 and 15).

Or Ibis or Ibis Plus or Novotel, all on one site, a 5 minute walk from the coach station, 15 mins to the ship (via Gate 10)

All on level ground.

There is a nearby entertainment complex, but it's Sunday so should be quiet. There's a taxi stand at the coach station if you don't want to walk.

But do check out hotels' latest check-in times before booking.

But your biggest problem is likely to be that food will be hard to find at that time of night - even at the nearby mcDonalds and TGI Fridays.

Edited by John Bull

I have stayed in the Portsmouth Holiday Inn and the reception is open 24 hours. Room service is also available 24 hours. Naturally, for a late (or early morning?) check-in, they would require notice and payment in advance.

Hi, Vic

Most important - not Holiday Inn EXPRESS. There are two, and both are near the city limits.

Choose Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker. Avenue) which is at the port gate (Gate 8) for NCLs City Cruise Terminal. Just a 15 min walk from the coach station & a 300 yard walk to your ship next day.

Or Premier Inn WEST QUAY, a 10 min walk from the coach station, ditto to the cruise terminal (by cutting thru the Hol Inn parking lot)

Or Grand Harbour Hotel or Pig-in-the-Wall (15 mins & 10 mins) or Ennios (20 and 15).

Or Ibis or Ibis Plus or Novotel, all on one site, a 5 minute walk from the coach station, 15 mins to the ship (via Gate 10)

All on level ground.

There is a nearby entertainment complex, but it's Sunday so should be quiet. There's a taxi stand at the coach station if you don't want to walk.

But do check out hotels' latest check-in times before booking.

But your biggest problem is likely to be that food will be hard to find at that time of night - even at the nearby mcDonalds and TGI Fridays.

John Bull and Bob, I was hoping you 2 experts will reply.

Thank you both for pointing out these important mistakes I made already.

Thanks for giving me the correct hotel names .

I would have assumed that hotel check ins are 24 hours without your reminder. I will certainly need to find the right hotel that allows late check in.

My most worried concern is whether it is safe to be walking around, after midnight, from the Southampton bus station to the nearby hotel, if I can't find buses or taxi at that late hour, after 1 AM.

I imagine there will be no taxi waiting outside the station and the local buses will have stopped running already.

Is Southampton really a fairly safe city for a non- local to be out walking late at night?

If not that safe in Southampton, is it better for me to stay overnight at a Heathrow Bath Road hotel, even with a more tedious late hotel check in, early check out, and hurry to the National Express bus next morning; hoping that there will be no bus or Monday rush hour traffic problem , resulting in missing embarkation.

After flight arrival Heathrow 9 PM at terminal 2,and immigration process, I can be expected to be out of the airport around 10 PM?

I assume the public buses and taxi are still available after 10 PM from the airport to the Bath Road Ibis Hotel?

Is it safe to walk the short distance from the bus stop to the hotel, if needed?

Thanks again for any further suggestions from local experts or anyone with prior experiences, insights.

Vic

We used the International Friends transfer from Southampton to London that includes stops at Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury and as we were the last to be dropped off, we had a narrated driving tour of London too.

It also offers transfers directly to Southampton and one with a stop at Stonehenge.

Senior citizen rates too!

https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/

Viatour offers this too--but I think it was cheaper to book directly with the tour provider, International Friends.

We are hoping to book this following our cruise in August. Wondering approximately what time of day we will arrive at our hotel in Kensington area following the stops at Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury? Do you think we could plan on arriving by 6:00 pm?

We are hoping to book this following our cruise in August. Wondering approximately what time of day we will arrive at our hotel in Kensington area following the stops at Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Salisbury? Do you think we could plan on arriving by 6:00 pm?

We arrived at our hotel, just a block away from the front entrance to Buckingham Palace about 6--so you should get there a bit earlier unless lots of fellow passengers in hotels on the east side of London.

John Bull and Bob, I was hoping you 2 experts will reply.

Thank you both for pointing out these important mistakes I made already.

Thanks for giving me the correct hotel names .

I would have assumed that hotel check ins are 24 hours without your reminder. I will certainly need to find the right hotel that allows late check in.

My most worried concern is whether it is safe to be walking around, after midnight, from the Southampton bus station to the nearby hotel, if I can't find buses or taxi at that late hour, after 1 AM.

I imagine there will be no taxi waiting outside the station and the local buses will have stopped running already.

Is Southampton really a fairly safe city for a non- local to be out walking late at night?

If not that safe in Southampton, is it better for me to stay overnight at a Heathrow Bath Road hotel, even with a more tedious late hotel check in, early check out, and hurry to the National Express bus next morning; hoping that there will be no bus or Monday rush hour traffic problem , resulting in missing embarkation.

After flight arrival Heathrow 9 PM at terminal 2,and immigration process, I can be expected to be out of the airport around 10 PM?

I assume the public buses and taxi are still available after 10 PM from the airport to the Bath Road Ibis Hotel?

Is it safe to walk the short distance from the bus stop to the hotel, if needed?

Thanks again for any further suggestions from local experts or anyone with prior experiences, insights.

Vic

More a question for JB than me, but I would be quite happy to get off a coach after midnight in Southampton. There are no late night bars etc there so it is likely to be pretty deserted. If there are no taxis outside, I have no doubt that the staff at the bus station would be happy to phone for one.

Southampton is as safe or unsafe as any UK city at that time of night, but this is a respectable part of the city centre and not known for such problems

There's an entertainment complex fairly near, but won't be buzzing on a Sunday night

if you prefer to take a taxi, this is only a guess but your timing is in the lull between pubs closing and clubs closing so they should be readily available. I expect taxis will swing round to the coach station when a coach is due in. Just one taxi is enough - if more are needed the driver will radio for more.

All the hotels mentioned are within taxis minimum charge distance, about £5, I think higher rates apply after midnight but no big deal.