Chan May port

detindy

We will be arriving traveling on Oceania"s Nautica and will be arriving at the Chan May port on feb15th. We are booking a tour to Hue and found out that there is a $25/pp charge for the private tour operators to pick us up at the ship. However if we walk to the port exit they can pick us up outside the port exit. Would like to get input re if this is an easy safe walk and do you recommend?

DETINDY

Agree with level six.

Unfortunately, the $25 per person charge to enable the tour operator to pick up shipside is an unofficial charge by the port authorities as a means to extract "tea money" from perceived wealthy people.

I can assure you the official ships tours that depart shipside do not pay this "fee"

Phu My is the same set up, but again a safe, easy 10 minute walk to the front gate.

Thanks everyone for your help........looks like we will give the walk a try!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

the walk is about 600meter on a flat paved road, shared with cars. The port set up is very simple, one of the smallest none tender port I visited. Getting lost is not on the port menu. $25 charge is a shocking rip off once you see the port. The restriction only apply to pickup, on return, guides could miraculously drop you off ship side without any permit.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

We drove from Hoi An to rejoin the ship in Chan Mai. Our car was stopped at the port gates and we could only enter if we paid US$5 . We guessed it was a scam to extract money but paid it anyway. If it ever happened again, we'd walk the short distance on the flat

Need assistance from folks who recently stopped in Vietnam;

Phu My port; I read about a charge($5-10) even if you walk to the port gates; any comments from RECENT vets?

Chan My; same as above....

Thank you

cruisinbob