Getaway versus Oasis of the Seas

dfen74

Hi there.

Family of four (kids aged 11 & 8) are planning a cruise for mid-March. We have pretty much narrowed it down to the Getaway and the Oasis. Both are Western Caribbean itineraries, stopping in familiar places to us. The prices for assigned mid-ship balcony cabins are virtually identical. It would seem that the Oasis is typically a bit pricier than the Getaway.

I have reviewed all of the similarities and differences between the ships. I am just hoping to get some opinions on which ship you prefer, if you have been on both and why.

The promotions are not a big factor for us, more concerned with the quality and variety of food, the pools/waterpark and general vibe of the ships.

Thanks very much.

Dave

We have sailed both and preferred the Getaway. My kids currently 12 and 15 loved the waterslides on the Getaway and the Oasis doesn't have any. They also weren't into the flowrider or rock climbing so that limited their deck activities.We also felt overall that we liked the food on Getaway better. There are definitely more late night food choices on Getaway too. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time on the Oasis, and really enjoyed the aqua shows and ice shows but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Getaway.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy to hear this. I was on the Allure of the Seas this past summer. (In my mind comparing similar ships). We are going on Getaway for first time next month. I loved RCL that I could book all the shows and dinner online before the cruise and had most of it mapped out together. I also liked that I could book a massage in advance. On the Getaway, it is more about booking once you are on the ship. (I will book a few specialty restaurants in advance). So, I am happy to hear how you liked the Getaway better as what I am considering a nuisance, may just be a "difference" and I am thoroughly excited! Thanks!

We have sailed Getaway and Allure of the Seas (sister ship to Oasis).

We loved the Getaway. It was our favorite cruise. The food choices are excellent, the ship is well laid out and easy to get around, the entertainment was great, and overall it was a fun ship to be on.

We had a fun trip on Allure because we love vacationing. We missed the aqua show bc we had rough seas and it was cancelled most evenings. We weren't fans of Mamma Mia (was on Allure at the time). Royal Caribbean's internet is far and away better than NCL.

We were glad to have been on one of the biggest cruise ships (Allure) but would choose a Getaway trip over Allure any time, even at a higher cost.

I haven't cruised on the Getaway but I recently did my first Royal Caribbean cruise on Allure the sister to Oasis. NCL is my favorite cruise line but I was very impressed with Royal Caribbean and Allure was the least crowded feeling ship I have been on. The check-in process was beyond impressive. For a first time Royal cruiser we were onboard the ship 14 minutes after our taxi pulled up. Those are some very impressive ships so I would not pass on the good price on it. I would vote for Oasis.

We've been on Allure twice and Oasis once. This is our first NCL cruise. Good to hear that others find Getaway a good comparison since we're cruising on it Feb 12. Thanks for the perspective.