Secret River excursion???

Add2109

Has anyone done the Rio Secreto? If so was it worth it? How hard is the activity level? My parents in their 50s will b joining us. Was the water freezing? Do u recommend it? Any tips? Do they supply lockers & water shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm 51 and overweight. I had no problems with the tour. We went in November. Water was cold but not freezing. You will have on a short wetsuit so some protection. Yes to lockers and water shoes. We bought some cheap water shoes and wore our own. Threw them away at end of the cruise. I recommend it if you like nature, caves and water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought it was more than worth the money, one of my all time favorite experiences! The activity level where we went was a bit tough at times, but we were in a different part of the cave that is normally only open to researchers. Guide asked if we were up for it because the normal section of the cave was crowded and he wanted to make sure we got the full experience.

The water seemed fine to me with the wet suit they provided, but my kids ages 7 and 10 were freezing by the end. Was totally worth it though, we all loved it!

After the tour they offer a drink of some traditional Mayan liquor and a toast and then send you off to change and enjoy a very authentic and delicious lunch.

The drive to and from the park was pretty quick, I was not a fan of the morning ferry [emoji925] ride over, everyone was feeling a bit queasy when we arrived. The ride back to Cozumel in the afternoon seemed much better, less swells I guess.

If we ever go back to Cozumel I'd probably go again was a fantastic trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved it! The drive is around 20 min from Playa del Carmen to the location. Sometimes the water can be cold but the wet suit helps. Our guide was amazing, my parents were able to make the excursion, they are on their 80's and my dad doesn't know how to swim, the guide was amazing on helping him to go through the caves. I guess it depends on your physical condition? To get to the cave you have to walk a bit and as far as I remember it has some up and downs but nothing difficult. If you are a nature lover, then this one is for you! Enjoy!

• 7 months later...

The guide confirmed that no one had any anxiety issues such as claustrophobia, and no back or knee problems. Tricky to get through in spots so you must be able to crouch down and many area. You must be sure footed as it's easy to twist an ankle. They give you a walking stick which helps a lot, and it's a good thing for the hard hat as I may have cracked my skull more than once if I wasn't wearing one. As for water temp, we did this in August so it was low 80's and very refreshing. Never did we get cold. One creepy part of the trip was seeing a tarantula walking up the side of a building...it is a tropical jungle after all. Yikes!! No spiders in the caves, just bats. Looking forward to doing this again!!

• 2 months later...

We are thinking about doing this excursion through NCL in November. We are in Cozumel from 11-7 and the tour starts at 11:30. I've read it takes a full 8 hours so little confused about the time.

At what point do you put the wet suits on?

Appreciate your feedback.

We are thinking about doing this excursion through NCL in November. We are in Cozumel from 11-7 and the tour starts at 11:30. I've read it takes a full 8 hours so little confused about the time.

At what point do you put the wet suits on?

Appreciate your feedback.

You can see in my experience when my family and I went in 2016- but through Carnival:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2386100

Sorry about the photos one word: photobucket :(

Wet suits go on after you arrive at the facility. They provide them on the tour. Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...