Which month from Baltimore

MillbrookMom

We have sailed from NJ a number of times and would like to give Baltimore a try as well. There are some great itineraries for Grandeur of the Seas for longer cruises. I must admit I am a little concerned about sailing on the Atlantic on such a small ship, just wondering if there is a month you would suggested based on experience? :confused:

We have sailed from NJ a number of times and would like to give Baltimore a try as well. There are some great itineraries for Grandeur of the Seas for longer cruises. I must admit I am a little concerned about sailing on the Atlantic on such a small ship, just wondering if there is a month you would suggested based on experience? :confused:

I really can't suggest a month based on the Atlantic .

I would base my recommendation on sailing both Enchantment and Grandeur out of Baltimore as any time from spring to fall. Sailing down the Chesapeake Bay offers some really great scenery.

Yes it's about a 10 hour sail to open ocean but I never got tired of the views.

i have cruised out of baltimore 5 times. but always on the pride which is a small ship. not sure which is smaller the grandeur of the seas or the pride but they both have to be smaller ships to get under the bridges. you are definitely right the atlantic can get pretty rough at times. especially during the winter months and hurricane season both of which i have sailed during.

to me it would also depend on how the itinerary is set up. on the 7 day pride eastern Caribbean itinerary and Bahamas itinerary you leave baltimore the first day and cruise down the Chesapeake which is a slow smooth ride reaching the atlantic ocean after midnight. then they take 2 full sea day to travel south on the atlantic ocean with a slower reasonable speed which keeps the roughness of the ride down. then on your 4th day you reach your first port. then you have 3 ports in a row 4th, 5th and 6th day. on the 6th day you leave your last port most always Freeport at around 1:30 pm to start your way back to Baltimore. this is where it gets rough. they fly home to make it back with just the day you leave Freeport your 6th day and then a 7th day at sea and arriving in Baltimore on the morning of your debarkation. and most times i have cruised out of baltimore they don't pull into the port till after 9am. and twice we didn't get in until after noon. the 7th day your last day at sea is the roughest and on a few of the pride cruises it was so bad that they put barf bags out by all the elevators for people to use. i'm not sure what the Grandeur of the seas itinerary's are so that might be something to look at also. i took a cruise out of Baltimore to Bermuda. that was a great cruise. definitely a lot smoother than the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean itinerary.

i have cruised out of baltimore 5 times. but always on the pride which is a small ship. not sure which is smaller the grandeur of the seas or the pride but they both have to be smaller ships to get under the bridges. you are definitely right the atlantic can get pretty rough at times. especially during the winter months and hurricane season both of which i have sailed during.

to me it would also depend on how the itinerary is set up. on the 7 day pride eastern Caribbean itinerary and Bahamas itinerary you leave baltimore the first day and cruise down the Chesapeake which is a slow smooth ride reaching the atlantic ocean after midnight. then they take 2 full sea day to travel south on the atlantic ocean with a slower reasonable speed which keeps the roughness of the ride down. then on your 4th day you reach your first port. then you have 3 ports in a row 4th, 5th and 6th day. on the 6th day you leave your last port most always Freeport at around 1:30 pm to start your way back to Baltimore. this is where it gets rough. they fly home to make it back with just the day you leave Freeport your 6th day and then a 7th day at sea and arriving in Baltimore on the morning of your debarkation. and most times i have cruised out of baltimore they don't pull into the port till after 9am. and twice we didn't get in until after noon. the 7th day your last day at sea is the roughest and on a few of the pride cruises it was so bad that they put barf bags out by all the elevators for people to use. i'm not sure what the Grandeur of the seas itinerary's are so that might be something to look at also. i took a cruise out of Baltimore to Bermuda. that was a great cruise. definitely a lot smoother than the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Thanks, we are actually looking at 12 nt itinerary that has 3 sea days on either end of it.

We have limited experience. One trip to the Bahamas in mid-March, one trip to New England/Canada in mid-October. No issues with the ships but we learned to apply a Transderm patch the night before we leave. We learned that the hard way. Apparently the Outer Banks area is always an "interesting" experience at sea.

We have sailed the Grandeur of the Seas for the past 3 years. Sea days were cold going down (at least 2 days) and on return. No major movement issues as we are hardy seafarers. Though we have heard from others that winter travel can be an issue. And on one of our trips we had to delay boarding as the ship coming in to Baltimore came in late due to weather. There is no way to predict the weather here or elsewhere, but would agree that fall is generally a great season in the area.

Going to have to agree with this. Sailing out of Baltimore is always fun though. I hope you enjoy it the next time you get to do it!

Having the three days on the front and back ends of your cruise is a good thing. We have been on the Pride 5 times and while cruising south the pride would sail about 18 knots, sailing north 22 knots. When cruising faster we feel the ship movement more.

Edited by JMAE