Belize City Tour Carnival Valor Cruise

MagicCat7

Belize City was one of the stops on our Carnival Valor Cruise trip, our very first cruise in 2010. Now this was a tour around Belize City with a local guide, not a carnival shore excursion. We took a tender boat to get to shore. The video shows you the side of the city that the cruise lines don't want you to see. We wanted to see the real parts of the city, not a fluffy sugar coated side. The one thing I will say is the vans with local tours are cramped and the air conditioning doesn't work well so it gets really hot. Their prices are half of what the cruise lines charge. There are benefits and disadvantages to both. We like seeing how other people live.

One of the biggest complaints I have heard on consecutive cruises from the locals is the propaganda about everything being so dangerous on the islands so to take the carnival tour only. The locals talk about how the cruise industry promotes the cruises as supporting foreign economies, yet they are herding people to their partners and away from the local economy. I tend to agree with the locals that the cruise companies are a bit deceitful with some of the marketing, especially when they are creating private islands to keep passengers away from the locals on the islands. I'm not scared to see the ghetto because we have it in the city where I live in America. I'm not gonna let that stop me from traveling. What does bug me is exploiting under developed countries and then cutting them out of profits with private islands. So is a cruise to Cuba going to be some private island off shore so we can't really see what Cuba looks like?

Off my soapbox for now!! :rolleyes::cool::p

[YOUTUBE]xVY8vDitBo4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8hAaaY0mQlI[/YOUTUBE]