Hawaii

GMC

I am booked on the Radiance for May 06. I spoke to a recent cruiser who stated that when they sailed last week between the different islands that the waves were enormous (no bad weather) and that their DH was sick for three days. They tell me that this is typical for Hawaii.

Anybody with experience?

THANKS !!!

I am booked on the Radiance for May 06. I spoke to a recent cruiser who stated that when they sailed last week between the different islands that the waves were enormous (no bad weather) and that their DH was sick for three days. They tell me that this is typical for Hawaii.

Anybody with experience?

THANKS !!!

I've cruised in Hawaii twice, have been there many times, and used to live there. October through April is considered the "winter" months, and you can experience hefty surf during those months in particular, but it's not always that way. May through September are considered the "summer" months and are generally drier with calmer surf.

I have also sailed around the Hawaiian Islands twice. Both times in the month of August. One time we had no movement at all, the other the tossing was so big I had to hang on in bed. From what I understand, the channel between Kauai and Maui are the roughest spots (that's where I hung on).

Take precautions and you will be fine. It is the ocean and no matter how large a ship or what stabilizers the ship has, it is still way smaller than the ocean. I use Bonine for every cruise I take, starting the day before and continuing for almost a week when I return home. I easily get seasick and this works for me.

We sailed from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back over the holidays last winter. The first day out and the last day coming back were both a little rough, but the rest of the trip was very calm. I've had much rougher weather in the Caribbean.

There's no way to predict how the seas will be. If you choose to cruise, then you need to understand that you can have rough seas anywhere you go. It's just part of the experience of cruising.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Taters

We cruised in June - The pacific is active. We felt a lot of motion. I am very sensitive but was never sick. You could hear the cabin creaking back and forth at night - you were rocked to sleep. But no one we met was sick. Must be the "right" type of rocking.

The staff said the pacific tends to be more rough than the caribbean - we also heard that from a Jamaican waiter.

Archived