Rough Seas

GMC

Our cruise was very rough. I have sea legs as does my friend, so it was not problem. The wives though needed motion sickness pills to help them. You couls definately feel the ship rocking side to side. Plus with the high winds the outside bars, pools, and hot-tubs were closed while cruising.

except for one day on our way to the islands from LA when the seas were from 7 feet to 12 feet - but this still wasn't bad. The other days were great some as still as I have ever seen - but still some people complained. I have seen much worse on caribbean sailings. Its all dependent on the weather at the time.

Just a half educated guess but I would venture that most Hawaiian cruises around the Islands are smooth, BUT there are exceptions. We missed the Port of Hilo on one cruise because of 20' waves and even at the Hilo pier the water was too rough and the Captain opted not to stay. Rest of the cruise was perfect.

Just returned from Infinity Hawaii cruise (San Diego - Hawaii - San Diego) and didn't experience rough seas at all, either between the mainland and the islands or between the islands. There was, however, a fair amount of rolling. Word onboard (remember, ship scuttlebutt isn't necessarily reliable!) was that the rolling was the result of a decision not to use the stabilizers because a) they slow the ship down and we had to cover a long distance in limited time, and b) because use of the stabilizers results in greater fuel consumption and the cost of fuel has increased significantly over the last several months. Either explanation may or may not have merit. Bottom line, if you don't like or can't tolerate the motion of the ocean, take a land vacation.

we just got off the pride of aloha and had one rough night. i think it was after leaving Kaui sailing to Hilo. got a little behind in time cause the captain had to slow down and then pick up speed early in the morning. I was afraid i would be sick since this was my first cruise, so i took a dramamine each morning and another at dinner time, and i did feel the movement but didnt get sick. definately could feel the ship sway though while moving. my sister has been on several cruises and did say that aloha was small compared to most she has been on. Very great trip though and a pretty ship

Archived