How to Choose Between Dzibanche and Kohunlich

stickey_mouse

I am not sure how to help you choose, but i have been to Dzibanche and it was amazing. I have Kohunlich booked for my next cruise in Feb.

At Dzibanche they are still excavating, there is pottery and obsidian everywhere. It was so impressive.

I have a photo album from there online if you want me to send you a link just let me know.

The drive to both sites is long but to me totally worth it. Also, Native Choice is who i have used for all the ruins in Costa Maya and they have been hands down the best tour company ever, the guides and drivers have always been so knowledgeable and so excited to show you their country.

Native Choice is an awesome company. Did Dzibanche a year ago. I had no interest in seeing any ruins, but hubby did. So glad I went! Absolutely fascinating! You could climb the ruins, see where they were still excavating, our guide was excellent! It is a 2 hr ride each way, but going through the towns was eye-opening. Seeing shacks without doors, but everyone has a satellite dish! I think our whole group slept the way back.

• 10 months later...
I am not sure how to help you choose, but i have been to Dzibanche and it was amazing. I have Kohunlich booked for my next cruise in Feb.

At Dzibanche they are still excavating, there is pottery and obsidian everywhere. It was so impressive.

I have a photo album from there online if you want me to send you a link just let me know.

The drive to both sites is long but to me totally worth it. Also, Native Choice is who i have used for all the ruins in Costa Maya and they have been hands down the best tour company ever, the guides and drivers have always been so knowledgeable and so excited to show you their country.

Thanks for the post. Scheduled to go in Feb. 2018.

Would love to see your photos.

I have been to both Kohunlich and Dzibanche and there are definite differences. Kohunlich is pretty well fully excavated while Dzibanche is in the process of excavating. Kohunlich is a busier site with multiple busses from ships and local tours. you cannot climb in Kohunlich, however they have ways to get you to the top of a few buildings. the tour takes a good hour and half and goes through most of the buildings and residences. the last time I was there(in March) there were about 6 bus tours going through so I thought it was crowded.

Dzibanche on the other hand was quiet. We were the only group there and were a group of 10 people. you can climb on the buildings if you like ( I will give you a little tip at the end) and you can see how they are excavating the site.

Tip: if you use Native Choice(which I have used for the last 15 years) and go to Dzibanche ask to stop at Kinichna. Cruise tours usually do not go here. Kinichna is a single acropolis located just a few miles from Dzibanche. It has three tiers and when you get to the top you can see 360(you can see dzibanche in the distance. This is not to be missed in my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. How much time is needed to get a couple photos at kinichna?

Our guide asked if we wanted to go to Knichna that we limit our climbing on all the buildings in Dzibanche so there would be time for us to climb up Kinichna. Had I known this before I would have asked on the bus to the site so everyone knew that this was the one to climb...in fact when I go back in March I will be asking that enroute.