DIY Malaga port to Nerja Caves & Balcony of Europe

Newby cruiser, will be in Malaga for 12 hours May 7th 2017 trying to figure out how easy and how much it would cost to visit the Nerja caves and balcony of Europe then come back to Malaga and visit a few sites in Malaga.

I have reached out to a few tour companies but they prefer trying to sell me other tours. So i am looking at taxi for the day. I would like to stay under $200 euro. Nerja is about 45 min from Malaga. Im i naive to think that $200 euro would cover travel cost. How easy is it to get a taxi for the day.

Thanks

Edited by JulsLuvsTravel

We live just outside Nerja. Although personally I would stay in Malaga as there is far more to see there, a trip to Nerja is quite do-able.

Depending on the day of the week you are in port the fare to Nerja and back to the port is 140-160 Euros for up to 4 people (the higher fare on a Sunday); there would probably be a supplement for the trip from Nerja centre (Balcon de Europa) up to the caves that are 4 km away. There are always plenty of taxis parked outside the port terminal building and most will accept a day booking.

For peace of mind it may be worth pre-booking a cab from the Nerja taxi company - you can get a quote on line at http://www.nerjataxis.net/ they may offer you a special rate for a day hire.

You could also consider taking a bus from the bus station by the port gates - operated by the ALSA company. Buses to Nerja are very frequent (some go all the way up to the Caves, others finish in the town) and the return fare is only 8.18 Euros per person: the journey takes from 50 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the route. It is a 10-15 minutes walk from the main bus stip in Nerja to the Balcon de Europa. Tickets should be purchased at the ALSA kiosk - nearest to the port gates - and you require an 'ida y vuelta' ticket for a return journey; alternatively they can be pre-booked on line at https://www.alsa.es/en

For an organised excursion have you looked at this company - I am sure they could offer a port pick-up (or someshere close by) http://www.malagataxi.co.uk/nerja-excursions.htm They will also be able to give you details of hiring a taxi for the day if you are not in port on the day the excursion operates.

Edited by campolady

• 2 weeks later...