Excursions

geeman

I am going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman in Dec and I was wondering where the best place to purchase excursions was? I have heard from reading some threads that people recommend buying the excursion through 3rd party and not Carnival, where can I do this?

This is my personal experience only but when we were in Ocho Rios, we got advice that booking a shore excursion through an onshore third party was better than going through the shore excursion desk on the ship. It was a nightmare!! We arranged to go to Dunns River Falls for $15 per person (there were 3 of us). When we got back to the pier, the driver, and I kid you not, would not let us out of his vehicle until we had paid $25 per person because, according to him, he had also given us a tour of the island and that was extra. His tour consisted of shouting out the names of places as we drove by them on our way to the Falls. And to top it off, he demanded a tip on top of the fee. We paid it, but only because I was concerned for the safety of my DW and MIL. Our table mates on that cruise also got taken in Ocho Rios so we had a lot to talk about that night at dinner. Ocho Rios is the only port we've ever had a bad experience when it comes to booking a shore excursion through a third party. But I've read threads here from others who have had similar experiences in Ocho Rios. My suggestion to you is to really, really research any tour you book through a third party in Ocho Rios and make sure the price is firm and includes everything you can think of. Good luck!

I highly, highly, highly, without reservations, recommend that you contact nativewaywatersports.com and reserve a spot on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. It is the best money I spent on our entire trip! $55/pp bucks gets you a stop at Sting Ray City, snorkeling and lunch on Rum Point. Our group only had 8 people in it. If you have read anything at all about GC, you will know that lunch alone at the Hard Rock will cost you $55.

Our big excursion in Ocho was to Margaritaville (walk for free, $70 bar tab/pp). Sat down at 10:00 and wasted away until departure time.:D

I highly, highly, highly, without reservations, recommend that you contact nativewaywatersports.com and reserve a spot on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. It is the best money I spent on our entire trip! $55/pp bucks gets you a stop at Sting Ray City, snorkeling and lunch on Rum Point. Our group only had 8 people in it. If you have read anything at all about GC, you will know that lunch alone at the Hard Rock will cost you $55.

Sounds like great advise, I going to book it today... thanks!

We are going to Ocho Rios coming up in March...never have been there before, but know a lot of people that have been. It isn't a great place to venture out on your own. Go to threads about Ocho Rios under the ports of call heading titled Jamaica and you can get lots of tips/advise from people that have been there/done that!! Good stories and horror stories.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

I am thinking that the kids may just stay onboard the ship and we'll walk over to Margaritaville!!

Grand Cayman was a really nice clean place from my recollection. We did do an excursion through the cruiseline, but I know that there are a lot of reputable third parties that I have also read about for doing such things like swimming with the stingrays! That is a must do! It is as gross as is it cool!! Can't wait to bring the kids to GC!!

Archived