OMG! The upgrade fairy!

denalichic

Wow, our first cruise and we got a visit from the 'upgade fairy'. We received our documents last week confirming our sky suite, with the sticky luggage tags and everything. I even checked us in on line and printed our boarding passes (can you tell I'm a little excited about this cruise?). Well, today I decided to re-check everything online at the Celebrity website. After I logged in, I noticed our room nuber had changed.

Now, I had changed our room several times already, and was *very* happy to be in #6145, as I have heard wonderful things about this room. It was not until I clicked on the 'view' button that I noticed that our new room was, in fact, a Royal Suite. I couldn't believe it. I had to call my travel agent to confirm that it was ture. Does this happen often? It seems like a pretty big upgrade to me. I was told they would give us new luggage tags at the pier, but would not be sending new documents - is that normal? Regardelss, I am now even more excited and I don't think I'm going to sleep between now and then (we're on the 12/4/2005 Infinity cruise to Mexico).

Sorry for rambling, happy cruising!

From my observations, this seems to happen more often with "first time" Celebrity guests than returning Celebrity guests, unless you happen to luck out and receive an upgrade through the Captain's Club program.

We, too, were given an upgrade (oceanview into CC) on our first Celebrity cruise aboard Galaxy.

The Royal Suites are absolutely amazing inside. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Same thing happened to us on the Millie back in April. First time Celebrity cruisers, and a surprise upgrade from Sky Suite to Royal Suite.

We didn't find out until we got to the pier. When we arrived in the room, we kept thinking that the "real" Royal Suite passengers would knock on the door at any time asking us why we were in "their" room.

But the upgrade was real and we had a fabulous time!

The same thing happened to my husband and I. We just returned from the 14 day Panama Canal cruise on Summit. We had a Sky Suite and found out, when doing online documents, that we had been upgraded to a Royal. It was our first Celebrity cruise also. We had a wonderful time! Enjoy yours!

Marcia in CT

Congrats and enjoy the upgrade...I expect it'll be your last with Celebrity.

A sure way NOT to get an upgrade on this cruiseline is to be a loyal to it...it is one of the things that most annoys me about Celebrity...I get some token Captain's Club "perks" (me, and 80% of the pax) and no upgrades.

I am truly happy for the OP on getting the upgrade but boo hoo I was also a first time Celebrity cruiser this past June on the Infinity to Alaska and did not get an up-grade. Oh well. I guess I can dream too.:)

Marilyn

I get some token Captain's Club "perks"...

You mean you don't like the cheap box of chocolates? haha

I think after you sail quite a bit you eventually become eligible for free upgrades, but that is quite a ways off for myself having only sailed with Celebrity three times. I will very likely return next year, but for now I've got a cruise with Oceania and Princess in the near future.

I think after you sail quite a bit you eventually become eligible for free upgrades, but that is quite a ways off for myself having only sailed with Celebrity three times.

After one cruise or 25...you get the same thing...one cat upgrade...actually the pricing on one cat lower...yippeeeeeee!!

We had hoped for an upgrade, being first-time X pax but it occurs to me that the Ocean view people who report being upgraded are almost always folks who have category 4, the top oceanview category, and we have category 7. I may be approaching this too logically but the pattern does seem to be there. When we booked, we chose the room we were happy with so in any event, I guess it will be fine.

Heck, we'll be on a cruise ship in the southern caribbean. I don't think anyone is going to feel too sorry for us!

I agree that the upgrades go to those who are already in the "luxury " class "staterooms".

Although my cruise in Nov will be nos 10 and 11. with the cruise line, I do not have an upgrade, (other than the one given by Captains Club book an 11 and get a 10 ), but then I travel solo and any one in a cat 10 is a "low grade" passenger as far as the social status staff are concerned.

Still I am only in there for showers .sleep and dressing, so it is not too much of a big deal.

Enjoy your cruise ,

Ok here's my question as a first time X cruiser.

I see above that someone who was in an ocean view was upgraded to CC.

I have a CC balcony booked.

IF I were to get upgraded, would I actually want an upgrade?? My balcony is an aft......

I'm not sure I want to lose an aft. This will be my first time in one and I've heard so many awesome things about having the aft I'm not quite sure I'd accept an upgrade...

can all you people who have the 'luxury type' cabins on a regular basis give me your honest opinions on this? AND...can you refuse an upgrade--is there a choice in the matter?

Thank you. :)

You can have them make a note on your res. that you don't want to be upgraded. My understanding is that if they upgrade you and you didn't want to be, they willput you back in your original cabin and will give the upgrade to whomever they gave your original cabin.

You can have them make a note on your res. that you don't want to be upgraded. My understanding is that if they upgrade you and you didn't want to be, they willput you back in your original cabin and will give the upgrade to whomever they gave your original cabin.

Thank you!!;)

Now can anyone tell me if I want to be upgraded or not? :D

(I'm just thinking ahead :p )

If I have a cabin I really want, I have my TA inform Celebrity not to make any changes...they add it to the file and that's it...another bonus of using a TA. I don't have to do it :D .

Thanks...:) I do have a TA (I prefer to have one as well) I just don't know if I want to add that to my file or not.

I'm sure it's not really going to matter...what are the chances of getting upgraded anyway....slim, I'm guessing.

I am extremely grateful to be in a position this time where an upgrade is not something I'm eager for :)

I can remember being in an inside and desperate for an upgrade.

After one cruise or 25...you get the same thing...one cat upgrade...actually the pricing on one cat lower...yippeeeeeee!!

Wow. I never actually looked at the fine print, but that is a pretty pathetic benefit actually. You'd figure they would increase the category upgrades as you took more and more cruises.

IE -- after 15 cruises, you get a three category upgrade, or something along those lines.

I expect if the Captain's Club was a little more than a lame marketing tool...the rewards might be better...but there are not.

That's ok. I buy what a want and enjoy what I paid for...I just find it annoying to have dinner with a first time X cruiser, who paid for a Cat 6 and now has a cabin better than my Cat 3...and I really wish they wouldn't tell me about it.

halos:

I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intended).

My next two sailings are in aft balconies - I specifically asked my TA to note "no upgrade" in my bookings, unless it's to a Royal Suite ;) . . .

I worked hard and waited a long time for these aft cabins, and I don't intend to get knocked out of them, unless it's really, really worth it.

BTW, I already took an offer from Celebrity to move from 7203 to 7206 (one aft to another one three doors down) in order to "accomodate" a family traveling together . . . in exchange for a $400 onboard credit - I said sure (a no-brainer)..... soooooo, who knows, maybe that RS is in my future yet.

I have a real fear of being moved simply to another balcony of the same grade. We're on Freedom on RCL and have an aft E1 which would accommodate three people. Since we are only two, I fear they would move us to accommodate someone who needs a room for three. I doubt we're the only two in a three-bedded room but it's still lurking at the back of my consciousness. We would move up to a Junior Suite but not to a superior balcony which is, in this case, inferior.

Ok here's my question as a first time X cruiser.

I see above that someone who was in an ocean view was upgraded to CC.

I have a CC balcony booked.

IF I were to get upgraded, would I actually want an upgrade?? My balcony is an aft......

If you were in the FV down the row, the answer would be an absolute and unequival NO. As it is, it's a call you'll need to make based upon your feelings about interior and exterior space. If you were really looking forward to the veranda, you definitely don't want an upgrade unless you were to luck out and get Sky Suite 6131, 6132, or better yet, 6145 or 6146. At least with those, you'd get a decent veranda to go with the larger interior space. If not, pass.

We'd never consider taking any of the other Sky Suites as an upgrade if we had an aft CC locked in already.

Archived