Good news for the stingrays! :)

TrqoisWtrs

The Caymanian Land & Sea Co–operative Society has taken a pro-active step to be more responsible in handling stingrays at Stingray City and Sandbar. The Co-operative has 171 members with over 30 boats offering tours to Stingray City. Other operators including Red Sail Sports, Dexter's Fantasea Tours, Capt Bryan's, Divetech, Moby Dick Tours, Kirk Sea Tours, Resort Sports Beach Club and Don Foster’s Dive have also adopted the policy that they will not take stingrays out of the water for the amusement of visitors or for photography.

That's very interesting. Capt. Bryan's did it just this week when we were there.

Hrm. That kind of thing, saying one thing and doing another, ticks me off. I wondered if it was hard on the stingrays being lifted out of the water. They removed one - repeatedly - completely out of the water to give everyone "massages." We held one in our arms, but made sure it was in the water, our arms were under the water. Just the top of his head came out of the water when we "gave it a kiss."

Hrm.

Sablerose...first of all, welcome back. On Capt Bryans tour, was the water "calm" on the way out to the rays? I am wondering about whether we need to take something for motion sickness before we go...I guess the tender is supposed to be a bit yucky too-thinking out loud here-I guess meds may be a good idea. How was it for you?

Hi Sparky -- the weather when we were in Cayman was ickypoo. Windy and rainy and cool/chilly, in the 70's. We weren't very happy with it. The water was VERY rough, especially when we were anchored and snorkeling. I'd definitely take something for motion sickness. They said it had been like that weather-wise for a while... I hope you guys have better luck with it than we did!

I actually got a little motionsick at the first snorkel stop (the barrier reef) and did not get back in the water until we got to Stingray City. Apparently I missed the best snorkeling ever, at the second stop, called the Aquarium. I just have to look forward to it for next time.

Thanks for the welcome back!

We were just there a week ago with the Royal Caribbean excursion. They did not take them out of the water, but would lift them up near the surface to take a few photos. The stingray was always *in* the water though. The crew seemed very sensitive to how the stingray was feeling, and would let them rest or get away from folks if it seemed stressed. We thought the crew was very respectful, and careful with those wonderful creatures.

Sablerose...thanks for the info. We booked the 2 stop excursion-the rays and then one other snorkel site-and I thinkk its the reef...so we will miss the better site. But if I am not feeling well, I would be glad to get back to shore. The 3 site tour took longer, and i didn't want to rush. This way we have a little time in town.

Archived