Lack of All Inclusive Drinks Package on P&O

ocean42

We enjoyed the lower drinks prices on our P&O cruises but once we had experienced both Royal and Celebrity cruises with their included drinks packages we did get rather spoilt. It isn't the fact that you can drink as much as you can, we enjoy trying new drinks in the knowledge that we haven't risked paying for a drink we might not like. Both those lines have a very extensive list of cocktails included and it's great to try new ones and never have to sign a slip for each drink. Plus speciality coffees, freshly squeezed juices at breakfast and water are included.

As to the costs, we monitor prices closely. The US lines have fluid pricing and usually at the start of a promotion the price is lower and increases over time. Our Oasis of the Seas cruise next month was booked the day the free drinks package was started again and the cruise price didn't increase from the day previous when the drinks were not included.

As a final comparison, we booked Independence two weeks ago for 2nd Sep 17 on a Med Itinerary. A guaranteed balcony with choice of dining and drinks package was £1680 with our loyalty club balcony discount that Royal Offer. Ventura leaves the day before on a Med cruise and the cost was £1665, guaranteed balcony, no choice of dining and drinks extra. So overall the Royal trip for us was better value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We enjoyed the lower drinks prices on our P&O cruises but once we had experienced both Royal and Celebrity cruises with their included drinks packages we did get rather spoilt. It isn't the fact that you can drink as much as you can, we enjoy trying new drinks in the knowledge that we haven't risked paying for a drink we might not like. Both those lines have a very extensive list of cocktails included and it's great to try new ones and never have to sign a slip for each drink. Plus speciality coffees, freshly squeezed juices at breakfast and water are included.

As to the costs, we monitor prices closely. The US lines have fluid pricing and usually at the start of a promotion the price is lower and increases over time. Our Oasis of the Seas cruise next month was booked the day the free drinks package was started again and the cruise price didn't increase from the day previous when the drinks were not included.

As a final comparison, we booked Independence two weeks ago for 2nd Sep 17 on a Med Itinerary. A guaranteed balcony with choice of dining and drinks package was £1680 with our loyalty club balcony discount that Royal Offer. Ventura leaves the day before on a Med cruise and the cost was £1665, guaranteed balcony, no choice of dining and drinks extra. So overall the Royal trip for us was better value.

You mean cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You mean cheaper.

Dai, no 'better value' is a judgement about the experience and inclusions for the price paid, 'cheaper' refers purely to the actual cost.

Dai, no 'better value' is a judgement about the experience and inclusions for the price paid, 'cheaper' refers purely to the actual cost.

Well Kevin you would say that. Other people may say that by offering, cheaper prices with inducements, than their rivals. Then the cruise line was trying hard to fill its cabins.

That seemed to be the argument when P&O reduced prices a few years ago and people were only to pleased to have a go at the company.

Well Kevin you would say that. Other people may say that by offering, cheaper prices with inducements, than their rivals. Then the cruise line was trying hard to fill its cabins.

That seemed to be the argument when P&O reduced prices a few years ago and people were only to pleased to have a go at the company.

You two can fratch all you want, all I would say is that I have on board experience of the much higher price inflation of drinks on Celebrity vs P&O since Celebrity brought in the drinks packages. Very nice if you get a free one, not so economic to me if paid for, and yes like you Kevin I did enjoy the free drinks package we had on Eclipse last June.

Nevertheless until the AI drinks become totally free to everyone, in which case I will undoubtedly be paying for it in the price which as a moderate drinker will still be costing me more, I would be more than happy for Donald Trump to declare them illegal.;)

You don't get anything for nothing, drinks packages are basically a con. Best left to buy our own drinks as and when we need them.

Someone on the Princess pages drew up a great spreadsheet that reckons up your drinks for you over the course of your cruise. It has up to date prices and drinks selection. We used it before our last 15 night Princess cruise and it worked out that it was to our advantage to have the package and as it turned out it did.

I have had the drinks package on all but the first of my Celebrity cruises. it has always been "free" except on my last Transatlantic cruise when we paid for it though got 30% off on an offer.

We stick with the standard package as it covers the wine we drink (pinot grigio/sauvignon blanc/zinfandel)

When "free" the overall cost of the cruise has still been less than the roughly equivalent cruise on a P&O adult only ship. Only the family ships have been cheaper (excluding at Christmas time)

I much prefer the drinks experience on Celebrity. I have a decent range of fresh juice to choose from at breakfast, bottles of water for the room and to take offshore, and prosecco at sailaways etc. Also the occasional cocktails before dinner and fruit cocktails while quizzing in the afternoon

I am a diet cokeaholic (I know it is bad for me!) and drink gallons of the stuff - I love that it is included in my Celebrity package. On P&O you can't buy normal sized cans for your cabin so I have to bring a couple of boxes with me which is a pain. Also often need to stock up in port (which again is a pain)

I agree with Kevin that the drink experience is much more pleasant on Celebrity

They do try to get you to upgrade to the more expensive package but only on the first day or so and they take no for an answer

The other thing that is nice is that Celebrity are not mean with the package. Once your waiter has established what you drink he / she just keeps topping you up. And they often set up a drinks cart on the top deck for sailaways

I can't really say I have noticed pax rolling about drunk on either line, maybe I have just been lucky

I suppose bearing in mind the possibility of cancelling and rebooking to save money, it pays to book onboard requiring only £50 deposit - less to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes that has just happened to me; I have to cancel my next cruise on Aurora (boo hoo) because of a family member's terminal illness. But I'm only losing £50 so I'm not too bothered about the money. First time I've ever cancelled.

Yes that has just happened to me; I have to cancel my next cruise on Aurora (boo hoo) because of a family member's terminal illness. But I'm only losing £50 so I'm not too bothered about the money. First time I've ever cancelled.

Sorry To hear that Clodia. I had the unfortunate experience of been stuck on a ship when my Father was taken ill and was dying, not a good experience, so you are better off not going and as you say at least it's only a small deposit. My MIL now has cancer and we may find ourselves in your situation - we will have to decide before the final payment on our next cruise is due. X

Edited by Florry

Dai, I would only add that in making the comparison we've done 5 P&O cruises, 3 Royal and 6 Celebrity so have a fairly informed experience with which to comment.

Dai, I would only add that in making the comparison we've done 5 P&O cruises, 3 Royal and 6 Celebrity so have a fairly informed experience with which to comment.

Jolly good but it is still cheap and must be difficult to sell as they are adding incentives.

Jolly good but it is still cheap and must be difficult to sell as they are adding incentives.

Then take advantage of it Dai and experience something different.

Then take advantage of it Dai and experience something different.

No, not cheap enough for that. I will have to put up with Princess

No, not cheap enough for that. I will have to put up with Princess

Just my opinion but there is nothing cheap about Celebrity, I like Princess but would not choose them in front of a Solstice class Celebrity ship with a drinks package.

Just my opinion but there is nothing cheap about Celebrity, I like Princess but would not choose them in front of a Solstice class Celebrity ship with a drinks package.

I think we were talking about RCI not Celebrity.

See post number 26.

Edited by daiB

I think we were talking about RCI not Celebrity.

See post number 26.

Apologies Dai, teach me read the whole thread !!

Dai, Do you mean that you are too cheap for RCI, I think you undersell yourself.:rolleyes:

Edited by terrierjohn

Dai, Do you mean that you are too cheap for RCI, I think you undersell yourself.:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha. RCI would have to be a lot cheaper for me to want to go on one. As you well know.

Ha ha ha. RCI would have to be a lot cheaper for me to want to go on one. As you well know.

I will let you know what you might be missing after our Navigator cruise in September, one thing I am looking forward to is that I will be Diamond status on their loyalty scheme thanks to my Celebrity cruises, and should benefit from a few perks, a bit like your upcoming Princess cruise.

I will let you know what you might be missing after our Navigator cruise in September, one thing I am looking forward to is that I will be Diamond status on their loyalty scheme thanks to my Celebrity cruises, and should benefit from a few perks, a bit like your upcoming Princess cruise.

Of course the other problem is that we have no time to do other cruises we are booked up until Oct 18.

We can compare NoS and Crown later.

I'm on holiday, I like to have a good drink on holiday, so give me the option to buy a drinks package please.

Like they say it all adds up with not only alcoholic drinks but coffees and juices too . We're having the Package on Princess but I do like P&O's attitude towards bringing your own drinks on and their drinks are cheap on P&O