11th Hour question: Free time in Juneau & Skagway

cydspal

We leave for Seattle in about 12 Hours!! Last minute advice needed for our open time:
Juneau is Capt. Larry from 1pm-5pm, ship leaves at 10pm.
Skagway is Dog Sledding 10am-1pm, ship leaves at 9pm.
Should we just walk around and shop, any last minute advice? Thanks!

8 hours in Skagway is way too much time for shopping there. I'd rent a car and head out of town. We left at 820 in the morning and was back into town at 3pm. This was with a LOT of stops along the way, and stopping about 45 mins in Carcross and another 30 minutes for lunch, also about 30 mins in Skagway to see the cemetery and falls. If the kids havent seen much snow, at the summit of the White Pass, there is a pull off you can get out in the snow. It was knee deep when I hit an unpacked patch. The waterfalls were beautiful as was the lake at Fraser which is just starting to break apart from ice. You might not want to head all the way to Carcross and Emerald Lake with limited time, but I would at least advise heading up to the border (and further if you can manage and feel comfortable time wise.) Remember heading back wont take you as long as heading up since you wont be stopping along the way as much. Definitely great scenery along the way and the snow capped mountains (and being up in them) will be a treat to anyone from Florida. Car from Avis was a Toyota Highlander at $79 and $16 for gas to fill up. For 4 of us this meant the tour was less than $25 pp and well worth the trip. Be sure to take your passport or id. Ask the Canada border guard for a bear stamp. Its a great addition to the passport.

I'm having withdrawal. Need help!

That sounds like a good plan but if you're hesitant to drive or can't get a car you could always spend some time in Skagway after your dog-sledding then take the 4:30 White Pass & Yukon RR. We're on the Diamond in July and doing the same. Bought our train tickets thru Princess so we'll be dropped off back at the dock before sailing. You're probably a little too late to go to Mendenhall in Juneau after whale watching unless you have Capt. Larry drop you off there (vistor's center closes at 6 or 6:30) but the tram might be nice in the evening if it's clear.

The National Park Service exhibits in Skagway are excellent, as is their guided walking tour. The City Hall Museum and Corrington Museum are interesting as well.

are you allowed to go back on the ship and then off again while you are at a port if you get bored? Or once you get back on board are you not allowed to leave? I would think the ship would be nice, with no one around, on port days ?? And free food?

Thats just one of the plusses of doing a cruise to a port you've already done. There wasnt a lot I wanted to see in port so I slept in, no line at breakfast, headed into town about 1130, back on by 3 and still no one on the ship! Perfect day for the pool, hottub and just chillin! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I'm having withdrawal. Need help!

Archived