Probably a bit of a hot button topic - cruising and the nursing mom...

OsirisShotDown

I never nursed on a cruise but I did travel with nursing babies a few times. FWIW, if you want to bring a pump try the Avent Isis. It's small and quiet. Even though it's a manual it does a good job and is relatively quick.

I loved the Avent Isis, and took it with us as well on our last cruise. The only funny thing was explaining to our room steward what the weird contraption on the sink counter was!;) ;) ;)

Don't let weird looks and gawks or cruel comments ruin your vacation or dissuade you from BF'ing. My DW and I are going on our first ever cruise next month with our 8 mo old daughter and she will be BF'ing whenever the need arises. We do have a pretty good schedule going right now but you never know. My DW has no issues feeding in public so if it offends other people, my view is "too bad", my daughter needs to eat too.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked to see that this is even an issue. It is totally within your rights as a mother to NIP wherever and whenever. Anyone who says otherwise is actually breaking the law (well, at least here in California, I think)!

No one can really see anything anyhow, except for when you get baby on and off. You can always wear nursing shirts if you are worried about it -- I always have had much more luck with these than with a blanket or other cover-up. That having been said, there are some really beautiful cover ups called Hooter Hiders (I know, horrible name, isn't it?) which are out there somewhere, so you should look into it if you like the idea of a cover up.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Carol

Everyone, thanks for all the support! I'm not generally nervous about NIP, but after reading some of the... er... tactless posts by some baby-hatin'-kids-don't-belong-on-cruises people on some threads of the wonderful Cruise Critic boards... Well, I was almost wondering if I was going to have to polish some barbs to be ready in case someone says something to me! ;)

And I hadn't even thought about the fact that most of the crew will be from places where BF is the norm... silly me!

Again, thanks, and happy cruising to all :cool:

Heather

i don't have too much to add that wasn't already said... just don't let anyone else's opinons stop you from doing what is healthiest for you and your child!

if others disagree with your choices let them worry about it, not you, and hey you'll never see these people again anyways

for you own comfort look into getting a nursing swimsuit with the slits down the side so it is easier for you when the baby wants to eat not to have to wiggle out of a wet bathing suit!

have fun & enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a nursing mom, but have never cruised. I've done plenty of other travelling, though.

When I nurse in public, I will try not to make others uncomfortable. Really, the only people I try to "protect" are teen boys and old men. The rest of the folks, I feel, need to just take nursing for what it is...necessary and normal...no big deal.

I would say that at the dinner table might get you trouble. If he needs to nurse during dinner (and they always do!), just take him to a nearby area, not all the way back to your room. A bench in the hallway will do. At his age, the more private, the better so that he isn't popping off every 3.2 seconds to see what's going on around him.

Poolside might get some looks and someone will try the "no food or drinks poolside". I'd try to retreat to a deck chair for that.

If someone comes up to you and outright asks if you're nursing, you can either give an outright lie (if you think they are going to ask you to stop) and say "nope", or you can give a non-answer like, "looks like he's snuggling to me".

The only "legitimate" complaint is if someone sees, gasp, your nipple. Other than that, it is just the *idea* that there is a child sucking on your breast that grosses them out. Frankly, that is their problem. Just because the *idea* of it is distasteful to some does not mean they can or should stop you. An actual flash of nipple is a legitimate complaint (still kind of lame, but it is an actual "offense") and I like to avoid those.

Not sure what amenities your ship has, but other than poolside and dinner table, I would nurse wherever we happen to be. If someone says anything, have a bit of legal-speak rehearsed and they should leave you alone. "You can't do that here." Response: "Actually, yes I can. Breastfeeding in public is protected by the law." If you need to say more, "I'm sorry that you're offended, but it's not indecent and if you avert your eyes a couple of inches, you won't be seeing anything."

Have a fun cruise!! I hope to be nursing my toddler on a cruise this summer!

I totally agree with everyone else's advice!!! One other suggestion - if there is a public bathroom with a bit of a lounge area in it near the restaurant, have a staff member put a chair in the bathroom lounge area for you - you can pop in there, sit down in the peace and quiet, and nurse for a few minutes without the distraction of everything else!!! (beats what I used to do in restaurants - perch on the toilet seat!!!!:rolleyes: )

Enjoy your cruse!!!!

Not sure what amenities your ship has, but other than poolside and dinner table, I would nurse wherever we happen to be. If someone says anything, have a bit of legal-speak rehearsed and they should leave you alone. "You can't do that here." Response: "Actually, yes I can. Breastfeeding in public is protected by the law." If you need to say more, "I'm sorry that you're offended, but it's not indecent and if you avert your eyes a couple of inches, you won't be seeing anything."

Sandyone,

I don't think anyone would say anything to you. Your "legal" repsonse may or may not be correct. Breastfeeding in public is not necessarily protected by law. Before you start throwing legal terms around you may want to check out maritime laws.

Persoanlly I don't think anyone would say anything....never had anyone say anything negative to me when I nuresed my daughter.

Have a great trip!

This topic amazes me. if people don't like to see a mother feed her child then they should just turn their freaking heads and NOT look....good grief!

It amazes me that if a woman wants to go topless on the topless deck of a ship, that's OK...but heaven forbid she uses the boobs for what they were meant for!

What is worng with our society FTLOG????? They're just BOOBS!!! :rolleyes:

Your "legal" repsonse may or may not be correct. Breastfeeding in public is not necessarily protected by law.

I know it may not always be correct, but generally, the person telling a woman that "you can't do that here" doesn't know anything about the legality. They just claim "policy". If the mother is bold, it usually is enough to get the other person to back down and leave her alone.

In my 11 years of nursing 5 children, I've never been accosted. I have been offered a place more comfortable, but never been told or asked to not nurse. Lately, there have been many news stories about public nursing incidents. I even know one lady. Her story didn't make it into the news, but she and I were both surprised at how shaken she was by the confrontation. She's a lactation consultant, for Pete's sake and she was really rattled when a woman on the bus was rude.

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been one single negative message on this thread!! That's pretty cool. I understand people's squeamishness about nursing, but it really is something that just needs to work it's way into public acceptability.

I can't understand people's squeamishness about nursing. :( There is something wrong with a society where there are hours of TV "reality" shows devoted to breast augmentation surgery, but when someone tries to use their breast for it's real purpose, they have to be banashed to a toliet stall??

Can you all hear me clapping!!!!!:D

I am so proud of all the positive and encouraging responses.

Amen to all the statements about TV - goodness you can see just about every aspects of breasts on TV - but have someone mention breastfeeding and in public - oh horrors - helllooooo - how about it being pure, natural nourishment for you child.

I would have had no grace in my response had I been confronted...makes my blood pressure rise thinking of the comments I could confront that individual with.

IMO - you got an issue with it - get over it and go away,- quickly before I say something you REALLY won't like.

Please come back after your cruise - we want to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know we are back from our cruise and my DW breast fed whenever possible. We are currently weaning off the breast but are still there. She even Bf on the plane going down to miami and back.

Happy Bf'ing Mom's.

This is a great thread! We are cruising in March with our 8 month old and 4 year old. My 9 month is bf and after reading all the posts, I feel very comfortable and confident in nursing her on the ship. Fortunately, she is a regular routine and I only think I will need to nurse her two times a day away from our cabin. On the flip side, my SIL has a 4 month old and she is considering ending nursing him because she is very modest and shy about nursing in public. How unfortunate!

cruisenk - suggest your SIL nurse in front of a mirror to see how little others actually see :) She can also practice that way to make sure they see even less...

when my twins were infants we were in sears and one of them wanted to nurse so I picked him up and nursed him walking through the store while my dh pushed the stroller. when we got out to the car I said "I don't think anyone even noticed I was nursing!" and dh said "you were nursing??" LOL after that I realized a few things

1. no one's looking at you anyway

2. you are more discrete than you think you are

3. no one really knows what you are doing unless you make a big production (and I think a nursing shawl draws more attention than just lifting the edge of your shirt and then pulling it all back down after baby latches on)

:D

cruisenk - suggest your SIL nurse in front of a mirror to see how little others actually see :) She can also practice that way to make sure they see even less...

That's a great idea! I will make the suggestion - and I'm going to try it myself!

Kari

I nursed in public all of the time, but no one ever knew what I was doing because of the special nursing blanket I bought at "Babies 'R' Us." It was a blanket that covered one entire shoulder and lap but was open on the other side so you could use that arm. It had an adjustable strap with velcro on it so you could adjust it tighter or looser according to what was most comfortable for you. It covered my breastfeeding baby up so well that people walking by would say, "Shh, the baby's sleeping!" to their kids. But I adjusted the strap so that I could peer down at her from the opening in the top, but no one else could see anything. Oh, how I loved that nursing blanket!:) And when I was finished with it, I gave it to my sister-in-law who loved it too. It's been passed on to many people now, and every one of them swears by it. If I were you, I would look at some of the baby stores for one, or do a google on it. It was a lifesaver for me. I nursed everywhere with that thing without ever getting a nasty look. And the strap holds the blanket firmly in place so it doesn't keep falling down, which is great. It's hard to describe, but once you get one and start using it, you'll see what I mean. Keep nursing your baby for as long as you can and don't let anyone talk you out of it. It's what's best for both the baby and you.;)

Do you remember what the brand was of the nursing blanket? Sounds like a great alternative to buying a bunch of nursing shirts.

I totally agree with everyone else's advice!!! One other suggestion - if there is a public bathroom with a bit of a lounge area in it near the restaurant, have a staff member put a chair in the bathroom lounge area for you - you can pop in there, sit down in the peace and quiet, and nurse for a few minutes without the distraction of everything else!!! (beats what I used to do in restaurants - perch on the toilet seat!!!!:rolleyes: )

Enjoy your cruse!!!!

Bathroom lounges are still pretty gross, even if you're not on the toilet seat, you and baby can't avoid possible smells. Ships are so compact, that if you want to leave the dining room usually there's a bar/lounge nearby - dark and cozy (I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like it would work). Just be sure to sit where there isn't cigarette smoke.

• 1 month later...

good for you for doing what is best for your baby! i have yet to cruise with my son and i think he might be weaning soon (he's almost 2 and only nurses once or twice a day unless he isn't feeling well), but i have nursed him on several flights, in airports, in restaurants, in shopping malls, and at public parks. i've always gone through potential conflicts in my head about what i would say to someone if i got a rude comment, but it hasn't happened yet. usually i get older women who tell me how much they enjoyed nursing their children and how good it is for them.

we have a trip coming up in a few weeks where i will be flying alone with my son. i will bring toys and snacks, but i know that if a meltdown happens, the boobs are the most reliable way to settle him down. i've heard of flight attendents being rude to nursing moms on southwest flights, so i will be prepared. i printed out a copy of the route map and a list of the state breastfeeding laws for each state that we will fly over. Of the 7 states, only one does not have a specific law protecting the rights of a mother to nurse her child in public (or anywhere other than the private residence of another). i will say "you can tell me to stop nursing while we are over arizona, but you should keep your mouth shut about it now." i can't imagine the other passengers preferring a screaming baby over a nursing one, but some people have some strange hangups. i've flown with him alone once before, but they were shorter flights and we had a row to ourselves. usually i have my husband or my mom to be a buffer between me and the rest of the plane. southwest doesn't do assigned seating, so we will see how it goes. you can bet that i will raise a stink if i get harassed!

my son would never allow me to cover his head while he nursed. i can pull my shirt down so that the rest of me is covered, but i have to hold it down to keep him from pushing it back up. if you pay attention at your local mall food court, i bet you can spot a nursing mom here and there. usually only other moms who have nursed can tell right away that a baby is nursing. it's only really obvious if the mom is struggling to stay completely covered. if you are relaxed and act like you belong there, other people will assume that you belong there too.

stand your ground. i've found that most rude people are cowards. they will say something mean to a child or to a nursing mom who they feel is vulnerable, but they would never talk like that to anyone they thought could defend themselves. they would crawl away if you actually stood up to them and let them know that they were being jerks.

You have a right to feed your baby in public wherever you are. Be proud of your choice to breastfeed! Act confident and your attitude will do wonders to dissuade those who think it should be done behind closed doors. If someone has a problem, it is THEIR problem- you just keep on keeping on and don't let the prudes get you down!

When I flew Southwest with my babies, I would preboard, take a window seat, and then commence nursing. Believe me, no one wanted to sit by us! So we had the row to ourselves. And nursing on takeoff/landing is the best way to prevent painful ears.

I agree with the blanket/shawl comment- it just draws attention to what you are doing. Have you ever carried your baby in a sling or a pouch? It's easy to nurse in a soft fabric carrier and very discreet. Baby loves being snuggled up close to mama, too.

Good luck, and kudos to you for breastfeeding!!!

gusually i get older women who tell me how much they enjoyed nursing their children
we went to the Loews in Miami for my birthday weekend when my twins were 4 months old & I nursed them poolside a few times & was nervous of the comments but I also only got the ones like this :D makes ya feel good!

i've heard of flight attendents being rude to nursing moms on southwest flights,
really? At the LLL group I used to go to in Ft lauderdale we had a few moms who were flight attendants (some airlines are based out of FLL) and said that they saw so many women nursing on planes so it was a natural choice for them when they had their own kids! Plus don't forget the swallowing is good to equalize the pressure. I nursed my twins on Jet Blue (around six months old) and got lots of smiles from the FAs (they know it's keeping them quiet too!)

so i will be prepared. i printed out a copy of the route map and a list of the state breastfeeding laws for each state that we will fly over.
smart :)

Have you ever carried your baby in a sling or a pouch? It's easy to nurse in a soft fabric carrier and very discreet. Baby loves being snuggled up close to mama, too.

I second that! check out mamatoto.org & thebabywearer.com for TONS of options, reviews, instructions, and photographs of babies in carriers. I have one of each kind (asian baby carrier, wrap, sling & pouch) & I love them.

First off.....let me say congrats on your baby- and an even bigger congrats for nursing. Nursing in public is tricky.......but once you've got the hang of it- like you said- unless someone comes right up to you and is staring at the baby, most likely they'll think you're just cuddling your little darling.

That being said......I have no problems with nursing in public. I've done it with my 2 boys.......just about everywhere. The one place I would feel uncomfortable with nursing would probably be in the dining rooms- but there are so many places for you to sit outside the dining rooms that it shouldn't be a problem. If you're by the pool, outdoors or even in one of the lounges.......it shouldn't be a problem. Thats just me......I actually stare back at people who give me dirty looks. I'm a bit confrontational like that......lol.

Go on your cruise......have a great time. And please remember-the more people nurse in public, the more the public will get used to seeing us and there won't even be topics like this on message boards. OK....off my soapbox now! ;)

Although I have never gone a cruise with a nursing baby (two of mine were breastfed). I found it helpful that the more educated I was about breastfeeding in public the better. Contact RCCL and see what their policy is on breastfeeding (I am sure it is fine). That way if a staff member gives you dirty looks you can report him/her or his a passenger gives you a dirty look you can respond by saying what RCCL stand on breastfeeding. Stare back at them harder. Also of course, you can find discreet areas on the ship while out and about. However at the main dining area I would politly excuse myself and breast feed in the lobby area. Or just pump once for the day and have a bottle ready at the dining table. BTW, i believe that RCCL would provide you with a refridge (if your room doesn;t have one). Just tell them you need it to store breast milk.

People can be so ignorant about breastfeeders. Baby needs to eat. its okay for a woman to wear dental floss for cover up yet to nourish our babies we get dirty looks. Oh well the more they stare the more I feel prouder about my choice! Mmore power to you!!

Archived