Fire and Ice

Heading northwards on this cruise in the summer. Would appreciate any recommendations on excursions for resorts which are new to us.

These are:

Stavanger in Norway (we already know Flam and Bergen)

Reykjavik, Isafjord and Akureyri in Iceland

Torshavn in Faroe Isles

Lerwick in Shetland Isles

Some of these ports of call are quite small and I imagine to make the most of a visit, it will be better to go out on an excursion, but perhaps you know better.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I haven't visited these ports with Thomson, but I guess most cruise lines offer similar excursions.

Everyone has different tastes, but this is what I did on the ports I visited:

Stavanger - quite small and easy to explore. In my opinion not the most exciting of ports, but I passed that comment on another post and was told there are Anthony Gormley statues to see & plenty to do - maybe one to research!

Thorshavn - small and again nice to explore if only for the novelty of seeing houses with grass roofs!! I did an afternoon hike to a fjord - the scenery is stunning. If walking is not your thing go on a tour of the island.

Reykjavik - we had an overnight stay. I went to a hydrothermal plant, but regret not doing the Blue Lagoon as I heard good reports. I did have time to explore the city and the views from the cathedral are fab! Day 2 I went whale watching - what's not to like?

Akureyri - possibly one of my favourite cruise stops. Went on tour to the Godafoss waterfall, Thingellvir (probably not the right spelling) site of the oldest parliament & the place where Europe meets the American tectonic plate. I'd recommend a similar tour. Sailing out we passed through the Arctic circle & I was in my t-shirt & flip flops haha - it's apparently also good for whale watching, but I didn't see any.

Can't help with the other ports, but you have chosen a wonderful itinerary - enjoy!!

I think this is an itinerary where there's potential for some DiY and at some ports an excursion is a good idea. We've never done excursions with a private tour company but I suspect they may not be a lot cheaper than the ship's tours because both Iceland and Norway are expensive.

Those places I'd definitely look at trips are Reykjavik and Akureyri. They both usually offer a trip with the big hitting geological features which characterise Iceland. The Golden Circle goes from Reykjavik and does the Gullfoss waterfall, the Geyser and Thingvellir national park (amazing to walk between and in a different place to straddle the tectonic plates). At Akureyri the trip was called the something Triangle which went to the Godafoss waterfall, the mud pools and Mytavn lake. We felt both were worth doing although pricey. At isafjordur we pottered around. It's small but the heritage museum on the waterfront (left from the tender drop off) was easy to DiY and much cheaper. It's a small town but there's a café or two and an interesting church with a beautiful flock of clay sea birds made by the villagers under instruction from a sculptor making a striking display over the alter. Not sure which trips are available here but with two very full days at the other ports we were happy to just wander and have a more relaxed day.

We had no time to see Reykjavik but were so taken with Iceland did another cruise the next year with two days in Reykjavik - one we spent exploring this lovely city which was easily walkable and the second day went on a trip to the Blue Lagoon for a swim.

Torshavn we enjoyed exploring. The old town and Parliament buildings on the waterfront are interesting. Again, easily walkable with interesting church with architecture based on an upturned ship's hull plus a new triangular shaped cathedral. Cafés here too for a drink and people watching. There are free local buses which do three different routes which loop round from the town. The one which goes out towards the cathedral is really interesting and gives good views. We like Torshavn and haven't taken any excursions here.

Lerwick is like a time warp - going back a few decades. The town has a Fort and usually a local craft market and some old fashioned cafes doing fabulous cream scones! It's small though so a half day trip is a good idea I think to see something of the island (very rural and unspoilt). We went to Jarlshof which is a prehistoric settlement and which we found much more interesting than we had imagined it would be.

Stavanger we've been to several times and haven't yet found the need to do a trip. There's the old town which is charming and picturesque - a photographer's delight! The white clapboard houses with roses and surprisingly colourful gardens are so pretty and definitely worth exploring. The sardine canning museum is surprisingly interesting too and doesn't cost much and doesn't take long to look around. On the opposite side of the harbour is the old shopping area. Candy coloured Hanseatic style wooden buildings with some interesting areas and cafes. There's a tower to climb if you're bothered for good views across the town. On the third side of the harbour stands the cathedral and there's an attractive lake behind. There's usually a market near the church too. There's an extremely interesting Oil Museum too. You can take a boat trip up the Fjord from the harbour and a trip to some stunning gardens too but you'd have to look that one up as we've never done it. We've always found plenty to occupy us here.

Fabulous cruise. Enjoy.

Think we might have been on the same Infinity cruise as you Gary T. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

More info on the gardens I mentioned near Stavanger. Our relatives did this excursion with the ship and said it was spectacular.

'A blossoming garden of exotic plants on the island of Sør Hidle, described as the World’s northernmost palm tree island.........................the Flor and Fjære Garden which is set in a protected harbour making it a place of peaceful tranquillity, colourful flowers and great sea views.' (Extract from destinations guide)

Here are some pictures - looks fairly formal but might appeal to you. It's amazing how colourful Norway is - I never imagined such a bright display of flowers so far north. Even Tromso University Botanical Gadens above the Arctic Circle were a riot of colour when we went. I couldn't get over it - so unexpected!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=flor+and+fjaere+gardens+pictures&qpvt=flor+and+fjaere+gardens+pictures&qpvt=flor+and+fjaere+gardens+pictures&qpvt=flor+and+fjaere+gardens+pictures&FORM=IGRE

In looking up the gardens I wonder if it's possible to do independently but if the ship offers a trip you'll have an idea what it's like.

Edited by kruzseeka

I've been to the gardens and can confirm they are stunning. So good that I intend to visit every time I go to Stavanger.

We did the same excursions as Kruzseeka in Reykyavik and Ayukuri, both excellent. We also went to the Blue Lagoon, a fantastic experience.

Torshavn went on a walk, then explored the town.

What a pity. There are boat trips from the harbour to do independently to Pulpit Rock - perhaps there may be local firms running excursions to the gardens too. They would presumably schedule these to coincide with cruise ships if they're looking for their custom. Could be worth investigating but as you say you'd have to be sure of adequate time especially as a boat trip is involved - not like you could jump in a taxi if time was short! Good luck - hope it works out but whatever you do I'm sure you'll find something of interest in Stavanger. Enjoy!

You can book independently if you go to their website. Flore and Fjaere (or something very similar) :o. Google garden in Stavanger. It isn't a long trip 3-4hrs max. and we did see the boat picking up around the harbour on the afternoon we had been. If you go I promise you won't be disappointed.

I've got it logged now as a 'must do' happy v! We love Norway and hope that we will go again (thinking about it for later this year) and having had one heads up about the gardens thought it may be worth doing but after your glowing endorsement too, I'll be sure to make it a priority. :)

Kruzseeka, we loved it, so colourful and well laid out. It poured with rain the whole time we were there and didn't put us off one bit. They change the design every year in May so as I said we will visit every time we are in Stavanger.