Need some advice on RCI

Hey all - My DW and I are looking at taking a 10th Anniversary cruise in March 2007. We are Elite members of Celebrity's Captain's Club and currently booked (Again :D ) this coming March. However, in March 2007 Celebrity does not have 7 days cruises out of FL or PR. We still don't have time to take a 10 or 11 day (although, we want to). So, our options pretty much limit us to RCI, NCL or Carnival. Having done a Carnival cruise in 2004, I was not impressed. We had a great time mind you, but the little things were not there, and I was dissappointed with that. I am so used to the service, staff, food, etc.. that Celebrity has provided me over the years, that we are looking for the same type of things mentioned.

We are looking at two dates/ships that sail out of Ft. Lauderdale (Radiance and Jewel). I spoke to a very helpful lady at Crown and Anchor today, and she told me that our X Elite Level would allow us C&A Diamond Status. It also appears that both ships are almost identical to X's Millinieum Class is size and amenities. I am just curious of a few things. I have been told and read that the service and food between RCI and X are almost identical, is this true? If there is anyone out there who can provide:

A - Comparisons between RCI and X. Both positive and negative.

B - The two ships we are looking into, any past cruisers of those two ship, comments. Again, both positive and negative.

I stress both positive and negative because NOTHING in this world is perfect. I have expereinced my share of negative with X, but nothing to stop me from having a great vacation.

Any input would be great. I find that on CC you tend to get a wide ranging set of responses, and I welcome that.

Thanks again!!!

My last cruise on RCI was so long ago that I can't help with the comparison with Celebrity. I will say, I was very unimpressed with Norwegian when I was on them. The whole "Freestyle" thing is not for me, and I felt the service was really not up to par since there was no real incentive to perform as all tips were pooled. At least in the dining respects. The service on Celebrity was a whole order of magnitude above what we saw on NCL. The food was fantastic on Celebrity, but it was a bit too, shall we say sophisticated? for me. I just don't need some version of pate' every day. :) I think you'll find RCI to be step down from X in the food and service department, but maybe you'll enjoy the entertainment and shipboard amenities more. I definitely think it will be more to your taste than Carnival or NCL, especially since you get the C&A benefits.

Gail

I am Diamond Plus on RCI (25 + cruises) and therefore Elite on X. I have sailed on Serenade (sister to Jewel and Radiance) and Infinity (M class). This is my opinion:

- Both ships are beautiful, I prefer Radiance class as I find the centrum more dramatic

- The concierge lounge on RCI is a huge perk as are other Diamond benefits. I was incredibly disappointed to cruise with X as Elite a few weeks ago and find the the only worthwhile amenity was 10 free internet minutes!

- Fitness program on RCI is terrific as is the overall enery of the staff. X is professional but more subdued.

- Food is significantly better on X in main dining room, RCI in the buffets. The specialty restaurants on RCI are excellent, cannot comment on that for X.

- Nightlife (especially live music) is more lively and varied on RCI. I do not do shows so cannot speak for that. On RCI, I am always up late and dancing, on X it is a quiet cocktail in the Martini Bar.

- Too many announcements these days on RCI, and too many tacky "sales" in the shops

- Too many kids on RCI these days and the rules are not enforced

- X is more formal in terms of dress, which I enjoy. The exception to this was my recent Mercury cruise which was VERY casual

- RCI has a more energetic, outgoing and casual staff. I also find their officers to be be more sociable with passengers.

These are my thoughts. I loved my cruise on Serenade and would sail her again in a heartbeat. And I would likely choose her over X.

Thank you so much for your very detailed comparison of RCI and X. I was really wondering about this myself.

I certainly agree with you that there are WAY TOO MANY announcements on RCI...they really need to look at this carefully for future cruising. Anybody listening????

We've always enjoyed RCI and I haven't the faintest clue why X doesn't provide a Concierge Lounge/or equivalent benefit to their Elite passengers. With that said, we will continue to chose RCI because of this nice benefit.:D

We have been on 14 RCI cruises and have our first on Carnival scheduled in January on the Liberty. We booked it because the cost is HALF the price of the one we have scheduled on the Jewel in April. Just needed another cruise booked in between because April was so far away in July when we booked Carnival. That said, we cruised on the Radiance last spring, and it was, by FAR, the best one we've ever done. The ship was fabulous, and the food was MUCH better than before (although we always thought it was good.), shows were very good. They could not have been more helpful about everything. This said, my only complaint was the kids in the hot tubs. I realize this is the parents' fault, but there are so many ignorant ones that I feel it becomes the cruiseline's job to enforce THEIR OWN RULES! This may be a problem on all lines, I can't judge, but know it was a problem on the Radiance. When we were waiting for the tender back to the ship in Labadee, this woman in front of us said to her companion "We're going back to the ship. The kids just want to play in the hot tubs." I really had to bite my tongue not to give her a sermon on rules! Wish I could give you more info, but I KNOW the Radiance would be a good choice. Enjoy, whatever you do!:D

Archived