Need information FAST

alexmom

getting a kick out of this... I recently turned 50. I'm not huge but not particularly fit and definitely not skinny. In the past I would have left this for the gymrat and teenaged people. But the big Bday has motivated me to go out of my comfort zone. So, I recently did the ropes course on both the Breakaway and Escape ... a couple words of advice!:

1)when you get up there, it seems really high. And the first obstacle is a balance beam thingy that looks right over the side of the ship. Panic! DONT do what I did, which is grip the rope desperately as I took little shuffle steps across. My shoulders and arms were sore for DAYS. Try to trust the harness and clips a bit more and actually balance/walk on the obstacles. I did that the 2nd time and much better.

2)don't look at the photos... trust me, the reason you see only skinny people on the google pics is because the rest of us don't share them. Just not a flattering look for the "average" American.

3)make sure to look around... if you only look at the beam or rope under your feet you will never have that "OMG I'm doing it!!" moment.

4)the zipline thingy on the Escape that goes in a curve OVER THE EDGE OF THE SHIP is the bomb. you literally have to run down a ramp OFF the edge of the ship and trust the equipment to bring you back. (I know you are Getaway but one day.... ) Looking back I still can't believe I did it :)

Great advice from someone who's been there ! One of the things that I believe helped me while reconditioning my fear reflex was to not avert my eyes downward. I did best when I simply looked out the window and remained centered on where I was, not where I could be if I screwed up.

One thing I wish to know, the Getaway zipline - do you take a run at that one too ?? I would hate to get stuck halfway. I've never done a zipline before. We are going on the Allure in September and I wanted to try the one onboard the ship. If I do well, I'll do the one on Labadee too !!

Thank you again !!

Kristine

Great advice from someone who's been there ! One of the things that I believe helped me while reconditioning my fear reflex was to not avert my eyes downward. I did best when I simply looked out the window and remained centered on where I was, not where I could be if I screwed up.

One thing I wish to know, the Getaway zipline - do you take a run at that one too ?? I would hate to get stuck halfway. I've never done a zipline before. We are going on the Allure in September and I wanted to try the one onboard the ship. If I do well, I'll do the one on Labadee too !!

Thank you again !!

Kristine

on BA there are 2 ways down. one kid did zip line, other one did rope bridges etc parallel to it

Hi everyone. I will turn 69 tomorrow and will be on the getaway with Kristine. I also have a fear of heights, but have been marking things off of my bucket list as well, zipped lined on another ship 3 years ago and in Sept. 2016 zipped lined across the ocean in Hati. The course is the longest in the world Over Water. Bought a go pro before we went and have an awesome video of this. It was fun! I plan on taking the go pro on this cruise this Sunday as well.

Diane

See you soon ! Maybe at the ropes course so I can cheerlead for you ! And Happy Birthday !!

Kristine

LOL! The same thing happened to me on the Getaway. Forget the plank I couldn't do any part of the ropes course. Once I got to the top, I froze and there were kids all over trying to get by. My husband kept yelling at me to move and calling me a chicken. I got down immediately, never tried again!!

I'm concerned about impatient, impulsive children so I will be looking for them to be there in short supply ! I'm sorry about your husband though ! That was uncalled for and heads the list on Most NOT Helpful Things to Say !! And it's never too late for him to apologize for cutting the legs out from under you.

I sometimes forget that not all husbands are as supportive as mine. You have a great sense of humor to recover from that experience. I'll bet you're a glass half full person too ; )

Kristine

Loved it on the Getaway and I am an XL 56 year old. Tried it last year on the Breakaway with my teen nieces but it was so windy and rocky at sea and the zip line and plank were closed as a result.

Do it! You will love it! Buy the photo.

I guess they close those things up quite a bit, at least on some of the reviews I've read. I'm not sure if February is a rough seas month or not, but i'll find out soon enough !

Kristine

i win for embarrassing, you have nothing to worry about.

in october i tried on BA and got up to the top of the steps, they took pic of me and gf, gf went on the course and i took one step and said hell no. i walked down , took breath, then went back up.

hell no..too high

i blamed the moving ship

went in december for the sole purpose of going on the course (JK)

in port tried the course and i had 2 8 yr olds with me. they went up and started crawling all over creation. i stepped on the beam

hell no

i went back down. talked to my friend and said i gotta do this

i went back up and took one step and said:

hell no, never again. i apparently have a great fear of heights. if anyone can help me overcome it id love to walk the plank someday.

so alexmom dont even worry about embarrassment, i already took the cake. 8 yr olds can do what i cannot. i hang my head in shame...:p

I did the exact same thing. Tried 3 times, couldn't get onto the first obstacle.

*sigh*

Stephen

I did it! I'm terrified of heights and I even walked the plank. WORD OF ADVICE: ask which camera is working and make sure you know how hard to pull the rope to trigger the camera. I didn't get a photo because no one told me the "straight ahead" camera was broken. You also have to pull REALLY HARD on the rope and watch for the flash to ensure you get a photo. I was so disappointed to not get a photo.

Sent from my iPad using Forums