Question about private tours.

thehams

We will be in St. Thomas in August from 8am - 6pm.

We want a private tour, but I'm afraid it wont be in our budget. I received a quote of $500 for up to a 6 hour tour. For those that have been on one, does that price sound about right? The quote was from David's Fun Tours.

What we want to do, is spend a few hours on the beach and then get picked up to do some sightseeing/tour of the island, either Mountain Top or Drake's Seat, eat some local food and end with a little shopping (basic souvenir shopping, not jewelry)

I am wondering to save on cost, would it be better cost wise to taxi to beach, then taxi to Mountain Top or Sightseeing, then taxi for food somewhere and so on.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Check with Coco Brown on the list. I think he charges $45 per person with minimum 4 but he may go with just 3. Food would be extra but most local food meals are enough for 2 adults.

Yes, I spoke to him just now. He said it would be $75.00 an hour, so that's a lot better, price wise.

I'm just worried starting a tour at 1pm will be harder to get a driver.

I wouldn't worry so much about a private tour. Most tour operators have multiple tours to accommodate what you want. When we went on our Brilliance cruise, we booked with tour operators recommended here. There were just 4 of us on a tour of St. Kitts and there was only 6 of us at St. Maarten. I was able to get everything done I wanted to do without paying a huge fee.