Low sodium menu

jackig218

Hello there! So we are going on the Breeze February 12, 2017 and low and behold my hubby just had a heart attack January 23, 2017. He had 3 stents placed and is now on a low sodium diet.

Assuming ( trust me we are praying for this) assuming he gets the clearance from his cardiologist to still go on the cruise, we need to find low sodium choices.

When I went to the web, I saw carnival offers gluten free, low fat, low cholesterol etc... but didn't see a low sodium specialty diet. I have emailed them to see if there is a separate menu that can be offered. But I thought I would reach out to you all to see if you encountered this in your past cruises?

Every time I have cruised in the past we did not have dietary concerns, but with the heart attack being less that a month by the time we sail, I really want to try to plan ahead as much as I can for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can contact Special Needs. Or, you can see the Maitre D' or a Headwaiter on embarkation day to discuss your dietary needs. They will take care of it for the rest of the cruise, like they did for my grandson who has peanut allergy.

I was on Breeze at Xmas and last October and have to do no salt. You can go to see the Maitre'd at 1:pm when people check out their tables and someone will discuss the menu with you. Each evening after that, they will bring you the next days menu at the end of your dinner so you can choose what you would like. My husband doesn't have to worry, so don't be surprised if the dinners (if you choose the same thing) look different when they are brought to the table.

I have high blood pressure and also had a stroke, so have to be careful of the sodium intake, but have been doing this for quite a while. The service is available so don't be afraid to make the request.

I hope you get to enjoy your cruise.

We preorder for other issues.

Order what you want. If you can't decide, order both.

Also, don't forget to order your breakfast or brunch meals. For brunch, can order both breakfast and lunch. When seated, let them know what you want when.

If you're traditional dining, your waiter will have your order. If ATD, your order will be given to that night's waitstaff. For breakfast/lunch/brunch just remind them about your order.

Room Service cannot do special requests but they can tell you what you need to know.

Buffet is difficult. Ask a hostess or the head Lido chef. The line guys mean well but they don't know it all.

Edited by SadieN

You may also want to bring your own small bottle of "No Salt" or another sodium free seasoning. My mom was put on a low sodium diet last summer as well, and she uses the "no salt" stuff.

Avoid any broth soups as those are usually high in sodium.

Take good care of the Breeze. We'll be sailing on her a few weeks after you get off.

Definitely ask maitre'd about low sodium. They do have some vegetarian choices. I just got off the Fantasy and I am on low sodium. I choose their heart healthy options on menu. Which if you look online at menu will have a heart by them. However you need to choose for yourself on eating. Not just low sodium but low fat as well. So picking particular things at the buffet makes this easier such as creating your own salad, eating beans or choosing brown rice. For breakfast I ate daily oatmeal with raisins or nuts and skim milk.

So yes it is possible to eat low sodium but not easy on board the ship as your husband is probably being asked to stay 1500 mg of sodium or less a day. With your cruise being a month from his heart attack much of what is important is how much damage his heart had and is he physically able to withstand travel.

Either way happy to hear you were blessed with him surviving a heart attack! Happy Travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by xeroxme