What to do?

mamiamjo

OK it just became official that we will be stopping in Progresso.

What is there to do in Progresso besides shopping or seeing ruins? We do not want to visit the ruins and we do not shop much.

We were originally planning on doing some snorkeling etc at Xcaret (we were originally stopping at Calica). Since we are now visiting Cozumel and Progresso, I need to make plans for this port.

Any ideas?

Mike:cool:

Mike.

Besides several Mayan ruins sites and of course the beach in Progreso, there's also the Reef Yucatan all-inclusive that offers day passes and transportation. It's about 30 miles. Several great seafood restaurants along the Malecon (shoreside street) in Progreso. I love the whole, deep fried Hawk fish or Red Snapper. There's also the option of visiting Merida a Spanish colonial city (one million pop) just 21 miles away. Very good and reliable bus transportation as low as $3.00 round trip. Beautiful city, very safe and clean. Some bldgs buit in the 1500s. Lots of beautiful plazas (parks) for resting and people watching. Also sidewalk cafes. Merida is the Yucatan State Capitol and home to four universities. More interesting shopping than in most ports. Also some good restaurants. I just spent two full weeks in the area. Start with http://www.yucatantoday.com for research.

Archived