Ship & Cabin Selection - help! Adventure OTS vs Celebrity Summit

jenkinscb85

Hello!!! So I am planning our 2017 Cruise for this April. This will be our 5th cruise. Last cruise was on NCL Escape in a Haven Suite. Hard to top that! We don't have the same budget this year as we were celebrating 10 years of marriage. We've also been to pretty much all of the western and eastern ports and really want to do a southern Caribbean itinerary. I have found Adventure of the Seas and Summit from PR. The itinerary is packed and looks awesome. However, those two ships are older it seems.

1. Any first hand comments about either of these two ships would be great knowing we are coming off of a brand new ship in a suite less than a year ago.

2. Since the itinerary is so port heavy, we'd like to save money on the room so that we can spend more on shore excursions. Would we be completely miserable in an inside stateroom?

I'm really torn about the two ships - Adventure OTS is bigger and has more activities but the staterooms haven't been updated recently and look tired and dated. The Summit looks a little more well

Kept up but has less to offer.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Loved the Summit. Took her to Bermuda prior to her makeover. It's a smaller ship but we enjoyed no lines and all the extra attention we received. Great food, excellent service. Would totally sail with her again! We had a veranda room ... plenty big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We have done the Southern Caribbean on both the Summit and the Serenade of the Seas and loved them both. Neither is a "newer" ship but both are really nice and comfortable. We chose either of those two over the Adventurer because we were not interested in the bigger ship with the bigger crowd and on a 7 day port intensive trip we would not really need or want a lot of the Adventurer's extra activities. We came back to the ship each day ready to crash, do some dinner and crash again. If you want to save some money consider booking private tours rather than ship's tours, they are usually cheaper and often better. I just don't like inside cabins. I like waking up in the AM seeing the beauty so maybe an ocean view? We are spoiled to verandas just because....

We love the Summit and have sailed her 6 times. However, we met a couple who had exclusively sailed RCL and did not like the Summit. It felt very closed in to them. There are no soaring atrium areas on the Summit. My advice to them was to sail an S class Celebrity ship where they would find a comparable ship feel. So if you want the more open spacious modern feel of a ship, choose RCL. If you want more personal attention and IMHO better food in both the MDR and buffet, choose Celebrity. Also, the Solarium has the thalassotherapy pool which is heavenly.

We have done the Southern Caribbean on both the Summit and the Serenade of the Seas and loved them both. Neither is a "newer" ship but both are really nice and comfortable. We chose either of those two over the Adventurer because we were not interested in the bigger ship with the bigger crowd and on a 7 day port intensive trip we would not really need or want a lot of the Adventurer's extra activities. We came back to the ship each day ready to crash, do some dinner and crash again. If you want to save some money consider booking private tours rather than ship's tours, they are usually cheaper and often better. I just don't like inside cabins. I like waking up in the AM seeing the beauty so maybe an ocean view? We are spoiled to verandas just because....

Thank you!!! We have never done an inside. I'm just trying to be penny wise this trip - with so many ports I may want to spend there versus the room. I appreciate your info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would base it off the itinerary and price. If they are exactly the same I would do Adventure. I've done Adventure and loved it, it's really not that big compared to the newer ships. I've seen these ships side by side, the Adventure is prettier and has more to offer.

I love the Summit and have been on her 3 time, last time being this past December. I've not done an interior but did do an Oceanview and was fine. With it being so port intensive I wasn't in the room that long. You may want to consider choosing an Oceanview vs. and Interior since you receive perks w/ and Oceanview where you don't with an Interior. Depending on if you are drinkers or not you can get the beverage package which would help w/ your onboard spend. Also I think if you book right now you can pick 2 perks so possibly OBC that would help w/ gratuities and possibly shore excursions if you choose to do a ship one.

If you do the summit try to get one of the sweet 16 cabins, lowest priced balcony, but the balconies are much larger than the regular ones. The sweet 16 are the first 8 balconies on either side of deck 6 forward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by janette34

We have been on both these ships [summit twice and going again Nov 17].It really depends on the ports as both are very nice ships [Adventure has been refurbished,Summit has had some refurbish done].We where on Adventure last October before rehab and it was showing a lot of ware but I understand She has been redone.Adventure is a bigger ship and generally has a younger crowd [early 30's to 50's].Summit tends to been somewhat an older crowd [early 50's to 80's ] , We like the Summit BECAUSE of her size ,it's very easy getting anywhere on the ship ,Hope this post helps.