Amsterdam apartments

katcherha

Hello All

I and my wife will be in Amsterdam from June 1 to June 12. Our daughter and granddaughter (four years old) who are living in Africa will be coming up to visit us for the 10 days.

1) We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment to rent. Somewhat difficult without being familiar with Amsterdam. Does anyone have any suggestions other than checking on Tripadvisor.

2) Any ideas on what we can do with a 4 year old while we are there.

thanks all for any input

Hal

Check air B&B, you might find it there.

For kids the Zoo Artis is great. Also a picknick in Vondelpark or more south the large park Bosbaan. If the weather is nice take a train to Zandvoort, the seaside resort.

Hello All

I and my wife will be in Amsterdam from June 1 to June 12. Our daughter and granddaughter (four years old) who are living in Africa will be coming up to visit us for the 10 days.

1) We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment to rent. Somewhat difficult without being familiar with Amsterdam. Does anyone have any suggestions other than checking on Tripadvisor.

2) Any ideas on what we can do with a 4 year old while we are there.

thanks all for any input

Hal

We rented a very nice 2 bedroom apartment from VRBO.com. It was in a good neighborhood close to the trams. We had a great experience from first contact to saying goodbye. For something different, they also have houseboats for rent on the canals.

• 5 months later...

We will be using airb&b or VRBO as well, but I am confused about the area we should be looking in. Can you give me some names of central, safe areas to look at close to the 'touristy' things we will be planning.

Thanks

We just booked a VRBO rental in Haarlem, a town just 15 minutes by train from Amsterdam for our pre-cruise stay next year. We like the idea of a quieter location than in Amsterdam itself for our base. We also plan on possibly renting a car and exploring the surrounding areas, although we do plan to take a train into Amsterdam on the days we tour there. The trains all appear to go to Central Station, which looks like it is within walking distance of the major attractions, plus close to the HOHO bus and canal boats. We plan to go to the Ann Frank House and the canal tours. We rented an apartment through VRBO in Barcelona last year and loved the local experience. I use reviews on VRBO or AirBnB extensively when doing my research for apartments and Visit a City has been a good new resource for me when planning a day or more in any new area.

We will be using airb&b or VRBO as well, but I am confused about the area we should be looking in. Can you give me some names of central, safe areas to look at close to the 'touristy' things we will be planning.

Thanks

Almost all areas are safe in Amsterdam, except probably Amsterdam Zuid-Oost(also called Bijlermeer).

Nice areas are apart from centre and around the canals, also the Museumplein area, and the streets named after Rivers in south.

Amsterdam north is safe, but you need buses or ferry to get to centre.

Check Google maps to see what I mean.

Our situation was different than yours. We had our 5 year old granddaughter staying with us. Did not want to be downtown, wanted near parks and near tram to get to downtown.

We stayed in North Amsterdam (I do not know why they name it North, it seems to be west amsterdam), very nice area, local restaurants. Tram get you downtown in about 30 minutes. We were 10 minutes from Vondalpark via tram. Plenty of local restaurants if you do not stay at night downtown. we were near the second or third stop on the #1 tram.

We are 4 adults that will be using airb&b. We DO want to stay in the center of town as we will not have a car. So on airb&b, do we want to look at places that are in 'centre"? We want to be able to walk most places. Any help with what area to look at would be really helpful. Thanks

We are 4 adults that will be using airb&b. We DO want to stay in the center of town as we will not have a car. So on airb&b, do we want to look at places that are in 'centre"? We want to be able to walk most places. Any help with what area to look at would be really helpful. Thanks

I replied on your other posting. and also gave a map. Yes Amsterdam is very walkable.

I replied on your other posting. and also gave a map. Yes Amsterdam is very walkable.

Thanks so much. That helped a lot. I am looking at a place on a canal near 'nine streets' area,

We are thinking of getting a HOHO for a couple days, that would help us not only get around the city, but would explain and help us learn about you city. Below is our tentative to do list. Does it seem doable in only 3 days? And is there something that I am missing? Thanks again for your help.

Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Royal Palace of Amsterdam, Anne Frank house, visit to the Red Light District, Verzetsmusem, a canal cruise, and possibly a ride out of town to ZaanseSchans to see the windmills.

I think a Hoho might be o.k. for the 1st day. Be aware that many streets are narrow and no Hoho is allowed to go there.

Maybe a dayticket for public transportation is better, if you carry a good map. Valid for all trains and buses in Amsterdam.

Alos passes incl. transportation to some other places like Zaanse Schans (by bus) possible.

Check info here: https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam

Book Anne Frankhuis through their website, 2 months before. After that also 2 weeks before often you can book a tour incl. lecture. If you have not prebooked you can only enter after 3.30 pm and often lines are long. But...if you go say after 6 pm, lines are less long. http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Opening-hours-prices-and-location1/

Expect lines also at Van Gogh, better book that too.

If you visit those museums maybe buying a special Museum yearcard might be cheaper. http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/museum-kaart-amsterdam.php

I think a Hoho might be o.k. for the 1st day. Be aware that many streets are narrow and no Hoho is allowed to go there.

Maybe a dayticket for public transportation is better, if you carry a good map. Valid for all trains and buses in Amsterdam.

Alos passes incl. transportation to some other places like Zaanse Schans (by bus) possible.

Check info here: https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam

Book Anne Frankhuis through their website, 2 months before. After that also 2 weeks before often you can book a tour incl. lecture. If you have not prebooked you can only enter after 3.30 pm and often lines are long. But...if you go say after 6 pm, lines are less long. http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Opening-hours-prices-and-location1/

Expect lines also at Van Gogh, better book that too.

If you visit those museums maybe buying a special Museum yearcard might be cheaper. http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/museum-kaart-amsterdam.php

Thanks so much. I will do all you suggest!!

I'll also price out the GVB multi-day ticket vs the Amsterdam Travel Ticket vs the I Amsterdam City Card. And based on what we want to see and do, choose the one that makes the most sense.

Any idea how much it would cost to go to Zaanse Schans by train? or the web site that would tell me?

And one last question....is there anyplace close to the cruise port that we would be able to purchase wine?

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks so much. I will do all you suggest!!

I'll also price out the GVB multi-day ticket vs the Amsterdam Travel Ticket vs the I Amsterdam City Card. And based on what we want to see and do, choose the one that makes the most sense.

Any idea how much it would cost to go to Zaanse Schans by train? or the web site that would tell me?

And one last question....is there anyplace close to the cruise port that we would be able to purchase wine?

Thanks again for your help.

Dayreturn ticket Amsterdam-Koog Zaanse Schans 2nd class costs E. 6.20 per person. Trainstation Koog Zaanse Schans (changed name recently it used to be Koog Zaandijk) is about 15 minutes walking to Zaanse Schans. Bus takes a little longer but stops closer to Zaanse Schans.

Wine is available at almost any supermarket in Amsterdam. Shops like AH(Albert Heyn), Gall & Gall and others are in many places with a good choice. AH has a nice supermarket in the large arrival hall at the airport. Through their weibsite you can check where their stores are. As far as I know none real close to the cruise terminal.