Help needed with hero session 5

Susandt

Hubby got this for Christmas for me for our march cruise. Want to use it for snorkeling, parasailing and some riding off road carts. I have printed off instructions, watched video and still feel lost. Thinking the video plus photo modes would be best but so unsure. I want photos but some videos would be nice. Any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hubby got this for Christmas for me for our march cruise. Want to use it for snorkeling, parasailing and some riding off road carts. I have printed off instructions, watched video and still feel lost. Thinking the video plus photo modes would be best but so unsure. I want photos but some videos would be nice. Any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Use it, use it, use it as much as possible before the cruise. That's the best way to learn.

Since you don't have a lot of time before your cruise, focus on video only. This way you can become familiar with your camera. If you want photos, GoPro has software (GoPro Studio) that allows you to capture single frames from a video; use those as photos.

While using video mode, use 4K only for nature shots - waves crashing on the beach, island photos, sunsets, etc. Use 2.7k for low light. I use 1080 for the things you listed (snorkeling, parasailing, off road). Try the different FOV (wide, medium, narrow) settings within 1080 to experiment with different lens - fish eye type. I don't use wide unless the subject is relatively close to the camera (3 feet or less) and centered. Otherwise, there is too much distortion. Again, play around as much as you can before your trip. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Also, here's a GoPro tutorial that I found very helpful regarding video settings.

Good luck!!!

Two books that have been a big help to me.

"How to Use the GoPro Hero5" by Jordan Hetrick

and

GoPro: Professional Guide to Filmmaking" by Bradford Schmidt

The first one has the nuts and bolts of settings, mounts, and some helpful pointers. The second one is more about how to make a film, with some addtionial information about what settings to use for different situations.

And use it... The learning curve is steep but if you use it a bunch things will start to make sense.

Have fun