Cuba cruise, visa needed?

TravelLynn

We are taking a Viking Ocean cruise in November of 2017 that includes 2 days in Havana. As US citizens, do we need to obtain visas to enter Cuba via a cruise?

Yes, you need a visa. Our cruise line handled it and they were available for us upon check-in. Suggest you check with TA or the cruise line.

I am scheduled on an Azamara cruise that overnights in Havana. Do you know if we are able to book independent tours or if we need to use the cruise line's excursions?

I am a little confused about whether the tour operator needs a people-to-people designation (and most of the half day tours don't seem to have that.)

Haven't gotten a good answer from my agent. Any insights appreciated!

-Ruth

I am scheduled on an Azamara cruise that overnights in Havana. Do you know if we are able to book independent tours or if we need to use the cruise line's excursions?

I am a little confused about whether the tour operator needs a people-to-people designation (and most of the half day tours don't seem to have that.)

Haven't gotten a good answer from my agent. Any insights appreciated!

-Ruth

For U.S. government:

The quick and dirty answer is that nobody's checking (or has been or is likely to), so do what you want.

Each passenger is responsible for their own OFAC declaration (reason/excuse for travel to Cuba) afaik, not the cruise line or tour operator. Once you check the box, no one is likely to ask any further questions.

-----

For Cuban government:

Note: You also need a tourist card (visa) to satisfy the Cuban authorities. Does the cruise line provide these? Extra cost? Does the cruise line provide Cuban required health insurance?

Thanks so much for the response. The cruiseline will be handling the visa, and the independent excursions I am planning on with urban adventures meets the people to people classification so all looks good! Thanks again,

Ruth

• 5 months later...

For those on the newly revised/renamed Cultural Cuba cruise in November or December, my husband just tweeted to @vikingriver that we should be staying past 4pm in Key West since the next day is at sea & we have lost 2 other destinations. Please retweet him if you agree. His twitter handle is @johntowler

Sent from my iPhone using Forums