Marco Polo cabin query

bayswaterbabe

Can anyone help with this - we have been allocated an 'Oceanview' cabin (630) on Amundsen deck which has the promenade deck right in front of it. This means that the window looks out immediately onto the deck and passengers who are on the deck will be visible to the occupants of the cabin (the cruise company has confirmed this). I am told that the windows are glazed/tinted so as to reduce visibility from outside to inside, but that if the lights are on, the interior of the cabin would be visible to anyone looking in from the deck. Obviously the answer to any privacy issues would be to draw the curtains; however, that would defeat the whole purpose of having an outside cabin!

I also think that it is a bit misleading to describe the cabin as being an 'Oceanview', when the view firstly is in fact of the deck, plus anyone on it, and secondly of the ocean beyond the deck. It is more accurate to describe it as an 'Outside' cabin.

I am not at all happy with this - what can I do about it? Has anyone stayed in such a cabin and if so, what was your experience, with particular reference to the privacy issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Older ships are commonly designed like this and this is technically an oceanview cabin. I've stayed in this type of cabin on my dad's ship and frankly, I wasn't in there all that much, so I didn't really care. At night, it's very dark out and there is not much to see when trying to look out of a window - just darkness unless a ship happens to be passing by. If you turn the lights on in the cabin you can literally see nothing outside the window as the cabin interior is reflected due to the light being on. If you keep the lights off, you can watch people without it being obvious to them that you are watching. That can be entertaining depending on if there is anyone out there or not and what they are doing. ;) During the day, you can, obviously see out the window, but the way the furniture is positioned in the cabin, you would need to stand up to do so. So most likely, you would only use the window briefly from time to time and head elsewhere on the ship when there is something better to see. On these older ships, people tend to spend more time on deck and in public areas than in their cabins. If you are someone who prefers to be alone in your cabin, then you should probably change cabins to one that is more private and has better windows if you wish to gaze out at the sea. If you don't like the location, I suggest you call the cruise line and ask if you can pay to upgrade to a different type of cabin. But if I were you and the ship is booked up, I sure wouldn't let it spoil my vacation. Cabin inventory changes, almost daily, so if nothing is available today, there may be a different cabin available tomorrow or the next day or next week. There is nothing wrong with changing your booking to another cabin. If you booked through a travel agent, ask him/her to change your cabin. People do this all the time and it's really not a big deal at all.