18000 people in port what about Tenders

mvaughan

Hi there. We are in GC in March with a port load of 18000. How well and how many tenders are there. Is it worth the frustration to get off the ship and walk around or go to the beach? Do the tenders run all day? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Admittedly 18,000 is a lot. That is a heavy day.

Some ships use their own lifeboats as tenders. Other contract with local tender operators. I'm not sure exactly which ships do which so it is hard to estimate how many tenders will likely be serving your ship. Still there will be an adequate number to keep people moving all day.

Lines do form waiting for tenders to get back on the ship. So if I were you I would consider going ashore early and planning an early return to the ship, maybe two hours before scheduled departure. Less likely to be standing in line that way.

We were just there this month. Our count was approx 20,000 that day.

Waters were rough and the tender process was very slow. We were on the first tender and arrived at the pier at about 1145am. The beginning of tendering was delayed for quite some time.

We were lucky to have picked up tender tickets that morning as the only give a certain amount out.

We were told general tenders ( without tickets) begin just before 2pm.

Many people just stayed on the ship at that point.

If you have a smooth day, the only issue is the amount of tenders to be shared among the ships.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hi there. We are in GC in March with a port load of 18000. How well and how many tenders are there. Is it worth the frustration to get off the ship and walk around or go to the beach? Do the tenders run all day? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is definitely a nice port to check out if you have not been there and I would recommend getting off to see it. From past experience, depending on what time you arrive, many ships arrive before the stores in the town open. If you get one of the first few tenders, before the hoards of people take them, you can sometimes avoid the rush as the shops open a bit later. If you are heading to a beach, then this is the best way to do it and beat the crowds. There will likely be 2 large tenders running non-stop to you ship in most cases.

The main 7 mile beach will be BUSY and crowded. If you want a small relaxed beach, look up Smith Cove. It is the opposite way and tourists tend to not go there. I walked to it last year from the ship and it took about 20 minutes. you can also get a cab there. it is the opposite way from where the tourists all go, so it is very quiet and relaxed to that side of Georgetown.

As for getting back to the ship, the lines are LONG. Be prepared to wait an hour in line for a tender if you try to go back when all the ship tours are heading back. Best advice is to take the first tender in, do a beach, do a few shops if you want before getting on the tender to go back to the ship, but be sure to do so at least 2 hours before the ship's departure to miss the crazy rush back to the ship that can dampen a great day in Cayman.