Bucket List : Alaska

FireStation46

Thanks all. Sounds like Northern Lights are out due to weather potential issues. ....

Viewing the northern lights from a cruise ship doesn't happen very frequently. Not only does aurora viewing require dark skies but the phenomena isn't always available. I live in Fairbanks, where the aurora viewing can be spectacular during our winter, but the lights are not "on" every night. A helpful website for those interested in more information about the aurora borealis is: http://www.gi.alaska.edu

Just to second a few other opinions:

1) Swimming isn't out of the question. Many ships have indoor pools or pools with retractable roofs. And I've swum outside on Alaska cruises in heated pools on nice days. People even doing Polar Bear swims in Glacier Bay. :)

2) I've heard that later in the season is slightly better for animal sightings, but it's mostly down to luck. If you spend enough time watching, you'll see something. I know you said you're sticking with Celebrity, but I was very impressed with Princess and how well they pointed out animals or warned you of good times to be watching. Maybe our naturalist was just very good, but I've heard other people say the same.

3) Northern lights--agreed that it's very, very unlikely on an Alaskan cruise.

I'm not sure why you want to see Alaska considering your feelings about Seattle and Portland. It's never a sure thing you're going to see whales, you will not likely see The Northern Lights from your suite and rain is always a possible/probable in Alaska.