The Secret River/ Rio Secreto... any questions?

Taishartrueblood

We had a blast at this excursion! Highlights:

-Probably in the caves for 60-90 minutes (our guesstimates differed).

-The lunch was good and plentiful.

-The water was cold but not that cold, maybe 70ish F?

-They provide everyone with a wetsuit as well as a helmet/mining helmet light/ water shoes. You are offered a walking stick... TAKE THEM UP ON IT! I am athletic and there are places where I was really glad to have it.

-Definitely do not have to swim but you will have to be able to have full mobility... knee injuries, foot injuries, balance issues, ect then you should not go. Also this is mild exercise, if you can't walk a mile without stopping then you might want to do something else. You are walking on rocks and on rocks that are underwater.

-Do not wear any lotions, body spray, deodorant, ect. You will not need them and you will be soaking in water anyway so they wont stay on. All you will do is pollute the caves.

-Ask questions, the guides are great.

-Ricardo was our guide, great guide!

-Photo package was $100 for photos of you, your group, and the caves. $50 for just you or just the caves.

Keep in mind that almost all of the cave is limestone so you wont see the brilliant colors you see in some other caves but you are closer to the formations and environment then you will ever get in a commercialized cave. Honestly, they wouldn't let people operate like this, I am guessing, in America as eventually the caves will be damaged.

Have fun! Ask questions if you have them.

This is a mainland excursion that requires the ferry. I always book through the cruise line for those excursions just in case we don't get back on time. The shopping is in Playa del Carmen right where the ferry is. You can shop at your leisure at the shops, walk the beach, have a drink, etc. It's not forced shopping at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruisin lady, I booked through the cruise line since it was only $20 more. You definitely don't have to, any taxi can take you there.. but that also means arranging a taxi to pick you up.

The ferry only comes a couple of times a day, if you at going to do this then you need to do a tour the morning so you can get back in time. That means that you will have an hour or more before the second ferry leaves... so you don't have to shop but you have at least an hour no matter what. There is a beautiful and free beach right by the pier to the ferry that you can use instead?

Awesome excursion! One of my all time favorites. I went last July and the water was cool to begin with but it was a refreshing break from the heat and humidity and after 30 seconds it didn't feel cool; and I hate cold water! Also, I'm not in athletic shape and was a little worried about keeping up but I did great even being up front most of the time (I did use the walking stick), so if I can do it anyone w/out back, knee, foot problems can too:)

• 4 weeks later...

My boyfriend and just got back from our cruise and LOVED Rio Secreto. We had Daniele- an Italian guy who moved to Mexico about 5 years ago to study the environment and native animals. He was great! Definitely use the wet suits and walking sticks. Make sure to take sea sickness pills or wear the bands for the ferry ride over to Playa del Carmen, it's a ROUGH ride!